Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dana White Tirade

Can't imagine Stern, Goodell, or Selig doing this ...

El Kabong Guest

Anyone question my opinion of MMA or UFC Dana White is classless.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your right Lyle judge the sport by ONE guy. By this rational you could find all sports to be worthless. Classless absolutely, but he also took a fringe spectacle and his turned it into a huge success.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

El Kabong Guest

Hey, all I am saying is that this guy is at the top of the company and he has branded all of UFC in his image and so guys who seem like decent hard working crowd pleasing fighters who are NOT middle class white guys with anger issues, who do NOT have tribal tattoos, who do NOT wear Affliction t-shirts.....those guys get overlooked and drowned out by the LOUD MAJORITY of UFC fighters/fans.

There is a stereotype that DANA WHITE created with UFC and he has reaped what he has sewn. They have the market cornered on douchebags and maybe it's because of their advertising or their commentators (Joe Rogan = total douchebag), or the channel they are on but DANA WHITE built this shit house and the company, it's talent, and it's fans (not 100% of those groups of course) reflect him and his attitude and it's because of people like Dana White that I will not have any part of UFC....I'm sure there are talented guys out there, I am sure there are good guys out there but for every GSP you have you have a Matt Hughes and The Ultimate Fighter show which is just filled with guys trying to be like Matt Hughes or Tito Ortiz.

Boxing on the other hand is worldwide, diverse, and sure we have our fair share of assholes and pricks in the sport but it has a history and as a sport it is not molded or shaped by 1 central figure as UFC is...and we aren't drawn to boxing by product placement or the trendiness of it....we're drawn to boxing for the sport and the history.

And I am not taking personal shots at you of course Van....I know plenty of UFC fans who are decent guys but you do have to accept that there is a stereotype and Dana just supported my view of him and his company in his own words

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle,

Come the fuck on. T-shirts & Tattoos? Seriously? Your blind hatred for the sport removes any objectivity brother. MMA fighters act no different than any other professional sport in America. The simple fact that you use the word stereotype only points to a close mindedness. I'm not making this a MMA better than boxing thread or vice versa but don't give me the "Boxing fans are more intelligent BS"....WE KNOW YOU HATE MMA...so since I'm damn near the onyl one that posts in the MMA forum anymore..do me a favor and f*ck off

El Kabong Guest

I didn't say that "boxing fans are more intelligent", I don't think that at all.

I am just using Dana White's own tirade to point out that "THAT'S THE TYPE OF SHIT I HATE ABOUT THE UFC" and nothing else. Sure NOBODY can doubt the guy built a big empire out of what used to be "Hey let's put a Sumo Wrestler vs someone who does Karate" but I object to what he did vs what he COULD have done.

Humility, honor, respect, etc are all parts of the martial arts and yet the UFC seems to actively overlook that.

I know for a fact that there are good guys out there fighting in MMA and I know there are good fans out there too....but there is a group of rabid fans and asshole fighters that I really can't be expected to appreciate and until that is solved I cannot consider myself a fan of the UFC.

I just don't like Dana White, Joe Rogan, Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Tim Sylvia and a number of other guys....but I really do try and find good guys Fedor seems like he's a decent guy, GSP seems ok, Arlovski seems ok and it may sound like I am close minded but I have really looked to try and find guys to support.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look dude...I've been reading your posts bashing MMA as long as I've been a member here and when the thread is in boxing or any other forum I consider it fair game, but when you take the time to come into the MMA forum to continually tell us (really just me these days) how crappy you think the UFC is it really pisses me off. The UFC is a tremendous success with the lucrative 18-24 market. So I think you simply are not the target audience b/c the way they market the sport is apparently working. Now you didn't say that boxing fans are more intelligent but you did say

"we aren't drawn to boxing by product placement or the trendiness of it....we're drawn to boxing for the sport and the history."

This suggests some sort of elitism and is belittling to MMA fans. If you want to chat about MMA then I'm all for it but if you are just going to come in here and rehash your broad generalizatoins and stereotypes then please go pick a fight with Kirk or Trainer moneky some where else

El Kabong Guest

Well don't you consider Dana White's reaction a little harsh? He's the commissioner of the UFC and as BodyHeadBanger said "I can't imagine Goddell, Stern, or Selig doing this" .

Sure as a businessman White has done a hell of a job and it is due most in part to being able to market his product. Selig, Goddell, and Stern have all marketed their products to certain groups and they have been successful doing so and in that way White can compare to them.

As far as elitism goes, what do you say about the folks who belittle boxing or don't figure boxers for what they consider "real fighters"....how about the people who say that MMA is "more like a real street fight".

The stereotype which I refer to is not just something I made up...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLMooHY12Y

I would just welcome UFC not trying to be like the WWE

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No he is an asshole..no argument there...but he is one guy in one org...I'm not going to make broad generalizations about a sport b/c of one guy. Who attacks boxing in this MMA forum? More importantly who has gone on the "Boxing" forum and bashed it? Your grasping brother. Both sports have millions of fans. The difference is you go out of your way to find videos of obnoxious MMA fans/fighters/commentators to justify your bias and post them in this forum. I'm pretty sure I'd stir up a shit storm if all I did was celebrate everytime boxing gave its self a black eye.

El Kabong Guest

I go out of my way to post on the obnoxious personalities?!?! They are marketed that way man, Dana marketed "personalities" like he was the WWE.

Sorry Van, I try to like MMA but the personalities are too strong for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing, AND MMA, wish they could create the kind of atmosphere for some of their fights like WWE builds(with storylines and etc)

Thats why Dana white does what he does and etc, he wants a wwe like storyline going into a real fight, thats why he has the ultimate fighter shows with the wacky and crazy destroy the house guy that somehow makes it to the finals.

Because drama = ratings and if he can give the fans a wwe type show with actual fighting then he would bring in much more money.

Its all about money and entertainment. Boxing even made up a story between verno phillips and jc candelo last year for friday night fights trying to bring in the extra ratings.

As much as people bash the sports entertainment that is the wwe, there are a lot of combat sports that wish they could create that kind of atmosphere behind a fight.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dana can be a bit over the top now and again but regardless of his questionable antics the man knows what he is doing and has helped the UFC turn into the phenom it has....

Love him or hate him you have to credit him

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would bet money that boxing fans on a whole are more intelligent and have a higher socio-economic status. In fact, I bet it would surpise people with how wide the spread would be.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what an asinine statement...more importantly what difference does it make?

Thread Information