0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fave Referees

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_PRODIGY View Post
    I think some referees need psychiatric test every now and then. Some as they get older, has the tendency of being numb and insensitive and due to the cruel nature of boxing they had become somewhat of a sadist..you know..I am aware that they call the boxers warriors, modern gladiators but that doesn't mean they fight to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdeONftgaA

It sucks.

that sir does not suck

Boxing is a bloodthirst sport however much you like/dislike that, if theres a world title on the line a ref should give a fighter every possible opportunity to carry on unless in an extreme circumstance like if he was getting absoloutely tonked.

where would boxing be right now if we had over zealous refs every time....

Marquez-Pacquiao would of been over within 2 minutes
    diego corrales would of been handsomely beaten 1st time around by castillo
    vasquez-marquez would of been stopped several times over
    eubank would of lost to watson
    benn would of lost to mcclellan
    Did you watch the replay? Morrison was out 4 brutal punches earlier. and these are heavyweights and he's on the fukkin ropes!Ray Mercer's base was low and Morrison's defense was gone his legs were out from a lefthook. He wasn't fighting back nor protecting himself. It didn't help that only the ropes was holding him.

The fights you mentioned all includes knockdowns. A KD (sometimes intentional) helps a fighter to recover and gather himself. All of those fights were great fights, if I'm not mistaken only the Vasquez-Marquez fights featured the least KD, and two of it were stopped by the ref. The only fight which reached the 12th, shows Marquez being gifted a 'standing 8 count'. If not for that KD, he would have been stopped again by Vasquez.

Another fight that shows how helpful the KD's are is the epic Chico/Castillo fight. Chico gathered himself during the counts, and also with the help of the brilliant strategy to spit his mouthpiece to KO Castillo. IMO if Castillo did the same and only had the presence of mind to take a knee he may have survive the round. Guess where he was, at the ropes. That was a great recognition by Tony Weeks to stop the fight.
    An empty can is always noisy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I think some referees need psychiatric test every now and then. Some as they get older, has the tendency of being numb and insensitive and due to the cruel nature of boxing they had become somewhat of a sadist..you know..I am aware that they call the boxers warriors, modern gladiators but that doesn't mean they fight to death.

It sucks.

that sir does not suck

Boxing is a bloodthirst sport however much you like/dislike that, if theres a world title on the line a ref should give a fighter every possible opportunity to carry on unless in an extreme circumstance like if he was getting absoloutely tonked.

Too many fights get stopped prematurely these days and it is annoying. I admire a ref who knows where to draw the line. I was just watching the Hatton: Thaxton fight just now, and I don't know who the ref was, but I thought he did an excellent job what with Hatton being cut quite badly so early. Cracking fight that.
    remember that

both were cut to ribbons and thaxton looked like he was about to go in about round 6, but the ref realising thaxton was quite capable of throwing back allowed it to continue.

What annoys me is when a guy is getting pummeled on the ropes but is still standing and the ref jumps in and waves it off. If the guy was in serious trouble he`d either take or knee or be put flat down onto the floor.

Who ref`d cotto-margarito - they called that perfect knew cotto was about to take another knee to the floor and gave him the opportunity to call the fight off himself thus leaving no doubt as to whether the stoppage was right!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It sucks.

that sir does not suck

Did you watch the replay? Morrison was out 4 brutal punches earlier. and these are heavyweights and he's on the fukkin ropes!Ray Mercer's base was low and Morrison's defense was gone his legs were out from a lefthook. He wasn't fighting back nor protecting himself. It didn't help that only the ropes was holding him.

The fights you mentioned all includes knockdowns. A KD (sometimes intentional) helps a fighter to recover and gather himself. All of those fights were great fights, if I'm not mistaken only the Vasquez-Marquez fights featured the least KD, and two of it were stopped by the ref. The only fight which reached the 12th, shows Marquez being gifted a 'standing 8 count'. If not for that KD, he would have been stopped again by Vasquez.

Another fight that shows how helpful the KD's are is the epic Chico/Castillo fight. Chico gathered himself during the counts, and also with the help of the brilliant strategy to spit his mouthpiece to KO Castillo. IMO if Castillo did the same and only had the presence of mind to take a knee he may have survive the round. Guess where he was, at the ropes. That was a great recognition by Tony Weeks to stop the fight.

if a fighter is still standing his still fighting in my opinion

If you get hit hard to the point your unable to throw back the 1st thing to go will indeed be your legs, if a guy is up at 8 but all over the place then indeed stop the fight, if he is up able to walk to you and answers the "do you wanna fight on" theres absoloutely no reason to stop a contest.
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

It sucks.

that sir does not suck

Too many fights get stopped prematurely these days and it is annoying. I admire a ref who knows where to draw the line. I was just watching the Hatton: Thaxton fight just now, and I don't know who the ref was, but I thought he did an excellent job what with Hatton being cut quite badly so early. Cracking fight that.
    I feel you. Early stoppages annoys me too but we have to remember there is almost no standing 8-count in pro boxing today. I think there are still bodies who implement the rule but what I'm saying is that it is very important for a boxer to be 'aware' when he's hurt badly. He can intentionally take a knee to give himself valuable time to recover. It's not a 10-point must system for no reason. that's why it's not a 1-point system. They will not lose if they went down for fukk's sake. I admire fighters who have the presence of mind to do that.

It's not always the referee's job to protect the boxers.When they put a halt during an assault you have to expect it's always over. Remember the instructions before a fight starts where it says 'protect yourselves at all time'. I think taking a knee is part of it. I won't call a fighter who do such thing a pussy or a cheater but I say he's a smart ass son of a biatch. Well that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that sir does not suck

If you get hit hard to the point your unable to throw back the 1st thing to go will indeed be your legs, if a guy is up at 8 but all over the place then indeed stop the fight, if he is up able to walk to you and answers the "do you wanna fight on" theres absoloutely no reason to stop a contest.
    It doesn't always work that way. Especially in the lower weights. You have to consider the fact that there are always fighters who have great durability. and there are one's who are known for their huge heart.

BIG HEART.Marquez seems to hit the canvass easily if you hit him flush to the chin but if you're the referee and you know his history you will give him the benefit of the doubt. I remember the 2nd Gatti-Ward fight, Micky Ward went down hard from an overhand right that landed behind his left ear and he was stumbling all over the place. The commentator was saying if it we'rent for Ward's reputation, the fight would have been surely stopped.

GREAT CHIN. Most of the times leads to serious injuries. Gerald Mcllelan didn't went down against Benn and when he finally did look what happened to him. Margarito took Mosley's best punches a hundred times until he succumbs and look, he never recovered even after beating the count and being saved by the bell. Castillo, correct me if I'm wrong but I think when he fought Chico he has never ever hit the canvass. His body couldn't take any of the consecutive blows no more. If not of Tony Weeks "early stoppage" he may have suffered serious injuries and couldn't have avenge his loss or may have never fought Hatton.

and I can't emphasize it even more:
    Ray Mercer was a hard hitting heavyweight and Morrison was very durable.
    Last edited by the_PRODIGY; 04-03-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dick Flaherty out of Boston; John Ritter out of Oklahoma, and the guys who work Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods all do a fine job and are not overly intrusive.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The late Toby Gibson who was a friend of mine was a very fine ref. Stanley Christodoulou (Hall of Famer) and Elmo Rudolph (now retired) are/were also very good ones.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steele is one of my fav referee. And I think he did a fine job with Chavez-Taylor fight eventhough he received tons of negative criticism on that fight.

Lovin' Mills Lane, Smoger, Russel, Bayless, and Draculich.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that sir does not suck

"Yory Boy" Campas was still standing while he was being battered by Trinidad, never went down but was completely out, so was Vargas while Oscar was teeing off on his head, tell me those weren't justified stoppages, due to bad stoppages using your reasoning have lead to death a fue times, with the one who was battered so badly being able to finish the fight only to end up dieing in the hospital hours or days later

on that note my fav refs right now are, Kenny Bayless, Tony Weeks, Eddie Cotton

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked Richard Steele but since he's retired, I like Kenny Bayless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mick Vann!!!He's great.He lets the fight progress and he does'nt seem to be in there in the ring due to the fact he keeps a sharp eye from a fair distance.A great Ref is a ref who does'nt seem to exsists in the ring with the other fighter and thats how Mick Vann is like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lawrence Cole.

Just kiddin'. The guy is an idiot.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately Its the bad ones that stand out to me.I guess the best are the ones that are not noticed.I do like Bayless,Benji estevaz,S. Christodoulou,Smoger,Kenny Chevalir (sp..the little guy with the hick up in his leg).Mitch Halpren (Rip) and the one and only Mills Lane.

Ones that irk me...wanna be center of attention Joe Cortez.Think long and hard about his phrase "I'm fair but I'm firm"....Jeez,how about a big glass of "get the f!!! over yourself" Joe!!! Frank Cappaciano.....sort of the same.One of the absolute worse was Ralph Condit.He refed like he was calling a best in show at a dog show competition.Very abrasive Joe O'Neil.....he and Larry Hazzard always seemed to have a beef with one another?One for the jail system...The ref in the first Eder Gonzalez vs.Juan M.Coggi circus,damn near criminal!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Earlier this night, Tim Bradley was hit by a monstrous counter left hook by Kendall Holt and he went down hard. He was up at the count of 2, but did a smart thing to take a knee and gather himself. Smart ass dude won the fight via UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    Mick Vann!!!He's great.He lets the fight progress and he does'nt seem to be in there in the ring due to the fact he keeps a sharp eye from a fair distance.A great Ref is a ref who does'nt seem to exsists in the ring with the other fighter and thats how Mick Vann is like.
    Gotta agree, plus the way he dances around the ring for a man of his age is just great. I reckon Micky Vann could wrestle a bear, whilst pulling a perfect pint and executing the demise of Osama Bin Laden all at the same time and still come out unscathed...he's basically the Chuck Norris of boxing referees, without the beard.

Thread Information