Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Example of a good amateur boxing gym

Glad you like the video guys.

I have a new video camera now and might make an updated video of the boys and girls(3 in trainning at moment) in the gym.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great video, you are a credit to your community. Why can't there be more with the same attitude! Keep it up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just wish there were more boxing gyms period. Hey, I would even be cool with a kickboxing gym. It's easy to find different types of karate places where you learn to do forms, katas, and different take-down maneuvers which by the way, will probably NOT work out in the real world against a noncompliant opponent, unless you've been doing it for years and years and are exeremely good at it (and even then there's no guarantee it would work). But when it comes to a sport that can make a person formidable in a self-defense situation in a fairly short amount of time provided they stick with it, good luck.

I would like to join a boxing gym, but the closest one around where I live is 50 miles away. Plus, there's no telling they would want to train me, as I just want to box for the fun and recreation of it.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    different take-down maneuvers which by the way, will probably NOT work out in the real world against a noncompliant opponent, unless you've been doing it for years and years and are exeremely good at it (and even then there's no guarantee it would work).
    don't agree mate... people rubbish Judo but the hard take downs mixed with the chokes and armlocks you learn would work in the real world and if you mixed that with boxing it would make you a complete fighter.... not to mention your fitness levels going through the roof because of the groundwork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looks solid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome Looking Gym, the one down the road from me is good, but that one looks pretty amazing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    I just wish there were more boxing gyms period. Hey, I would even be cool with a kickboxing gym. It's easy to find different types of karate places where you learn to do forms, katas, and different take-down maneuvers which by the way, will probably NOT work out in the real world against a noncompliant opponent, unless you've been doing it for years and years and are exeremely good at it (and even then there's no guarantee it would work). But when it comes to a sport that can make a person formidable in a self-defense situation in a fairly short amount of time provided they stick with it, good luck.

I would like to join a boxing gym, but the closest one around where I live is 50 miles away. Plus, there's no telling they would want to train me, as I just want to box for the fun and recreation of it.
    If you've got money and are respectful then they will train you.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lovely video Porky, really enjoyed that.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to my Gym, so far just once a week!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Lovely video Porky, really enjoyed that.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to my Gym, so far just once a week!
    The gym has move to a diferent building since this film was made. A few of the lads are pros now such as Aled Cook and Danny Griffiths.
    Balls

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

exercise center and instructors counts alot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just a tip.
    I have visited severl gyms in my life time, and I offer the following 'Red flags' you should look for before you sign up with a gym.

Obviously the first thing to look for is presentation of the gym itself. Is it kept clean, and does the equipment look like it is maintained?

Do you see students standing around waiting for some one to tell them what to do?

Do you see the coach constantly walking around with his cell telephone stuck to his ear, or worse, sitting in his office playing computer games?

Is the music turned up so loud, you can hardly hear the timer or even someone speaking?

Are more expeienced fighters off to themselves, and never called upon to help train others?

Is there a "hot babe" walking around with a clip board, patting people on the back and telling them how good they are doing, and you know she would not even know a right glove from a left glove?

Does the trainer or coach scream and curse at the students and continually give negative comments, while not giving proper instructions and demonstrations of what should be done, and spending time to insure the student understands and learns?

Spend some time observing overall what is actually going on while you are there visiting. If your gut feeling says something is not right....head for the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dick Whittington View Post
    Porky that was a fantastic effort and it looks like a brilliant Gym I've never seen anything like it !
    Was that a typical night ?
    Wish there was something along similar lines where I live we have a successful club which I shant name that has produced 1 high profile world champion , unfortunately that club has it's fair share of arseholes very intimidating atmosphere and a clique of trainers kinda from the old school of agression '' he's gotta fight or he wont stay mentality which I personally abhore.

Where do you stand on boxing in schools ? I'm personally dead against it especially remembering what it was like at my high school where if you were not 6-2 sporting a beard you were not even considered for any kind of team .
    You need good people to run a good club and I think good people are a rarity today you end up with the choosen few getting all the attention and shy introverted kids at the back never realising potential talent.

Does your gym get lottery funding ? I had to look twice when I saw the plaque because I thought it said your name ,Dr Gibbons .

Keep up the brilliant work mate you and John Radmore your a credit to your community

Fantastic work .
    In this gym there should be all the most necessary and no pathos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enough room, enough bags, enough ropes and at least one ring. That would cover it as mandatory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since we are bumping threads, be clear to any trainers or assistants that Hey I want to box in 3/6 months, Hey I want to spar.
    You can go to a good gym, if you don't make it clear what you want, then you will might miss out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I just wish there were more boxing gyms period. Hey, I would even be cool with a kickboxing gym. It's easy to find different types of karate places where you learn to do forms, katas, and different take-down maneuvers which by the way, will probably NOT work out in the real world against a noncompliant opponent, unless you've been doing it for years and years and are exeremely good at it (and even then there's no guarantee it would work). But when it comes to a sport that can make a person formidable in a self-defense situation in a fairly short amount of time provided they stick with it, good luck Tutuapp 9apps Showbox .

I would like to join a boxing gym, but the closest one around where I live is 50 miles away. Plus, there's no telling they would want to train me, as I just want to box for the fun and recreation of it
    you have to sacrifice to get where you want nothing is easy
    Last edited by klimbo; 02-21-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Thread Information