Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that De La Hoya has retired, what should his record have actually been??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Now that De La Hoya has retired, what should his record have actually been??

Now that De La Hoya has retired, I am looking at all his close, controversial fights and seeing where he was robbed and where he got a gift!

Whitaker - I had De La Hoya winning by one point by virture of winning the last round

Quartey - I thought Quartey won this, I can remember my scorecard, but I had Quartey up by 1 or 2 points

Trinidad - I had Oscar winning this one

Mosely II - I thought De La Hoya won this quite clearly and was robbed!

Sturm - Oscar got a lucky decision

PBF - I had PBF winning this by a couple of rounds

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Now that De La Hoya has retired, what should his record have actually been??

Pretty much agree with all of your post.

The only one I don't agree with is Mosley II - I copped a lot of shit for it on here at the time but I honestly believe that one could have went either way. Mosley did a lot of heavy body work late in the fight. Of course he was on the roids at the time, so maybe Oscar should have won it...

Sturm definitely beat him.

Quartey fight was very close, Oscars big last round saved him. I think I had Quartey just.

Oscar definitely beat Trinidad.

Thought the PBF was very close, PBFjust.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Now that De La Hoya has retired, what should his record have actually been??

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Pretty much agree with all of your post.

The only one I don't agree with is Mosley II - I copped a lot of shit for it on here at the time but I honestly believe that one could have went either way. Mosley did a lot of heavy body work late in the fight. Of course he was on the roids at the time, so maybe Oscar should have won it...

Sturm definitely beat him.

Quartey fight was very close, Oscars big last round saved him. I think I had Quartey just.

Oscar definitely beat Trinidad.

Thought the PBF was very close, PBFjust.
    Mosely II was a strange one, because all 3 jusges had it the same, but people ringside and the boxing press all though DLH was robbed. I had it 115-113 to DLH. Mosely wasn't the same fighter as he was in the first fight, which I thought he won by 4 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar deffo beat Tito...in fact from my perspective he owned him...no idea how that decision went to Tito.

I had DLH a point up for PBF. but hardly anything happened in this fight until the last few rounds wich Mayweather won but for the rounds where hardly anything was done i could only give it to oscar for landing a few unclean body shots.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at his record you have to say that a record of 39-6 may does not look as phenomenal as DLH's career was !

Hell, in the future younger fans may look at this and think what was so good about this guy - he lost 15% of his fights (15.3846% if he is the rain man )

Fans in the know however know full well that all his points defeats could have easily gone the other way - the Sturm win was the only one you could class as a gift I feel.

So at the end of the day that leaves stoppage defeats to two future legends (they are already) Hopkins , a naturally bigger guy, and then Manny, younger and p4p king, who as well as being brilliant on the night fought him at the end of his career when the tank was empty.

39-6 doesn't do him justice does it.....

43-2 would have looked much better
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had Whitaker winning 7-5. However, that was a sloppy fight and there were a ton of close rounds, so I have no problem with someone scoring the fight for Oscar. The problem I had with that decision was that the scorecards were so lopsided, that you got the impression the judges were giving Oscar the benefit of the doubt in every close round.

I thought Quartey clearly won 7 rounds against Oscar and deserved the victory.

I had the Trinidad fight a draw. I thought Oscar was up 6-2 and on his way to an easy decision, and then he completely gave away the last 4 rounds. It bugs me a little when people defend Oscar and say he was robbed, because it's his own fault for running and giving away the last rounds of the fight.

I had Mosley II a draw as well.

I had Floyd winning 8-4.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Now that De La Hoya has retired, I am looking at all his close, controversial fights and seeing where he was robbed and where he got a gift!

Whitaker - I had De La Hoya winning by one point by virture of winning the last round

Quartey - I thought Quartey won this, I can remember my scorecard, but I had Quartey up by 1 or 2 points

Trinidad - I had Oscar winning this one

Mosely II - I thought De La Hoya won this quite clearly and was robbed!

Sturm - Oscar got a lucky decision

PBF - I had PBF winning this by a couple of rounds

Any thoughts?
    I think your spot on with all of that.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sturm and Floyd won in my eyes and the Quartey fight too close bot i think Oscar snatched it with that amazing 12th round onslaught.

To be honest i don't really care about a fighters stats too much and it's the way they entertain me that i remember most and Oscar was brilliant at entertaining 9 times out of 10 - and put everything into his fights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Hell, in the future younger fans may look at this and think what was so good about this guy - he lost 15% of his fights (15.3846% if he is the rain man )
    I think you are doing Dela Hoya an injustice. He only lost 13.3333333333% of his fights.

6/45 x 100. =13.33333

LOL
    Last edited by robinswe01; 04-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ooops ! ta

guess what i forgot to do
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

To be honest i don't really care about a fighters stats too much and it's the way they entertain me that i remember most and Oscar was brilliant at entertaining 9 times out of 10 - and put everything into his fights
    Yeh I agree. The thing I liked about DLH is that he never ducked anybody. He fought everybody there was to fight, Quartey, Vargas and Trinidad would all have been avoided by many and stepping up to fight Hopkins was stupid very brave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd by a couple of rounds... bleh He won by way more htan that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He beat Trinidad, i had it 117-110 an amazing decision considering it was one of DLH's best performances, yes he lost the last 3 rounds but he wasn't going to knock Trinidad out so why take the risk, he didn't count on incompetent judges.

He also beat Mosley in the second fight, amazingly judges give this to Mosley as a UD when again DLH fought a great fight and i think won a hard fought decision. I had that one 115-113 for DLH .The first fight was a MD for Mosley, a fight Mosley clearly won...go figure?
    He beat Whitaker and Quartey in close decisions that went his way but he deserved the wins.
    He was lucky to get the Sturm win
    He lost the others to PBF, both Hopkins and Pacman stopped him.
    My only beef with Oscar is he didn't fight Tszyu in 1996 or early 97, choosing instead to move up to 147lb to fight Whitaker in April of that year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    He beat Trinidad, i had it 117-110 an amazing decision considering it was one of DLH's best performances, yes he lost the last 3 rounds but he wasn't going to knock Trinidad out so why take the risk, he didn't count on incompetent judges.

He also beat Mosley in the second fight, amazingly judges give this to Mosley as a UD when again DLH fought a great fight and i think won a hard fought decision. I had that one 115-113 for DLH .The first fight was a MD for Mosley, a fight Mosley clearly won...go figure?
    He beat Whitaker and Quartey in close decisions that went his way but he deserved the wins.
    He was lucky to get the Sturm win
    He lost the others to PBF, both Hopkins and Pacman stopped him.
    My only beef with Oscar is he didn't fight Tszyu in 1996 or early 97, choosing instead to move up to 147lb to fight Whitaker in April of that year.
    He didn't fight Tszyu because Tszyu got knocked out by Vince Phillips. If Tszyu would have won that then the ODLH fight would have happened. The sole reason Kosta Tszyu went to America was for Oscar De La Hoya.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i grew up watching him and even with his loses he has wins over so many champs or former champs he still should be rated high. I mean there are only a few to win titles in that many divsion the only other fighter i know of that has is Tommy Hearns so not to many on that list. The only fighter i thought to beat him clearly in his prime was Mosley. The fighters i watch growing up were Mosley, Dela Hoya, and Holyfeild and there time is running out and for Dela Hoya well his done and thank him for the fights.

Thread Information