Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Guillermo Rigondeaux's pro debut May 22!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Guillermo Rigondeaux's pro debut May 22!!!

Guillermo Rigondeaux's Official Debut! - My Boxing Forum

I google when is Guillermo Rigondeaux going to fight, and finally something has come it up. I hope this is legitimate, I am so excited. I also wonder if him sparring with Gamboa is what has led to Gamboa looking much better of late.

Upcoming fight schedule - Boxing - ESPN
    Last edited by Taeth; 04-24-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Guillermo Rigondeaux's pro debut May 22!!!

People think Gamboa's been moved fast, Rigondeaux should be moved close to Holyfield fast. He's already what 28? How old is Gamboa? Anyway he should make some noise, do we know what division he's going to fight at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa is 27 turning 28, While Rigondeaux is turning 29 in September, I think he will be moved at a lightning pace, and he has Gamboa among others as sparring partners, He's better naturally than Gamboa, and I doubt he will have the same set backs.

I will warn in advance you will likely see early knock downs in his career like Gamboa because the Cuban style doesn't focus on having a set base, lots of times they do things in terms of footwork nobody else can do, but if they get caught while doing it they are completely off balance. Its like a hybrid between how Leonard and Ali used to move but with all those slick little moves Whitaker would do off the ropes and even the best athletes can't maintain perfect balance combining two strategies that take incredible athletic ability to do independently, let alone simultaneously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rigondeaux is total class, I remember him dominating in the amateurs a few years ago. One of the best I have seen at any olympics over the last 20 years. If everything goes smoothly, he could really make some loud noise at super bantamweight.
    As was said though, he needs to move fast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rigondeaux is an incredibly talented boxer, but Im not sure that he will have huge success in the pros. Hes been out of the ring for two years and is not a young kid. Add in all his amateur fights and who knows what he has left for the pros. I hope he does well. We shall see.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rigondeaux was an outstanding amateur! He is getting up there in age for a little guy, especially since he is just about to turn pro, but that amateur pedigree sets him apart. I agree with others here that he will be moved extremely quickly, possibly fighting top guys within 10-15 fights...

One things for sure, he's going to be fun to watch & hopefully will create a lot of intriguing match-ups!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought he was already a pro when I heard of him for the first time about a year ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But look at how well Kindelan maintained his ability, to box until your 34 and win the Olympics is way more difficult IMO than being a proffesional boxer at 34 and being a world champion, amateur boxing is a way faster pace.

IMO look at Gamboa, he looks super fresh at 27, and his style takes way more abuse than Rigondeaux. Rigondeaux's style suits being a proffesional way more than Gamboa's does. IMO these guys are always in great shape, Rigondeaux hasn't boxed in two years, but if you've been following he has still been running his ass off and training by himself, apparently he has kept his weight almost exactly where it was, and I believe he is fighting only 4 pounds above what he did as an amateur. I hope the sky is the limit for him, he deserves it with all the crap he has had to deal with. The amazing thing is he was 14 when he started boxing(in Cuba thats quite old) and he came over from wrestling and in 5 years went from no knowledge of the sport into a Olympic champion, he was made for boxing.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    But look at how well Kindelan maintained his ability, to box until your 34 and win the Olympics is way more difficult IMO than being a proffesional boxer at 34 and being a world champion, amateur boxing is a way faster pace.

IMO look at Gamboa, he looks super fresh at 27, and his style takes way more abuse than Rigondeaux. Rigondeaux's style suits being a proffesional way more than Gamboa's does. IMO these guys are always in great shape, Rigondeaux hasn't boxed in two years, but if you've been following he has still been running his ass off and training by himself, apparently he has kept his weight almost exactly where it was, and I believe he is fighting only 4 pounds above what he did as an amateur. I hope the sky is the limit for him, he deserves it with all the crap he has had to deal with. The amazing thing is he was 14 when he started boxing(in Cuba thats quite old) and he came over from wrestling and in 5 years went from no knowledge of the sport into a Olympic champion, he was made for boxing.
    Amateur's don't fight at a fast pace for 12 rounds. Or 10. Or even 8. If they did fight that many rounds there pace wouldn't be the same. Pro is different and harder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

Amateur more difficult than pro?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think its more difficult in general, you don't take the same beating, you don't need the same stamina for 12 rounds, but its more difficult for an older person to do well in. Speed and technical skills are at a higher level than most of the guys you will face as a pro below B class fighters. You need much faster reflexes and speed in the amateurs where everyone is fast at the top level.

Thread Information