Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Am i Using the Slip Bag Correctly?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Am i Using the Slip Bag Correctly?

YouTube - Boxing Warmup and Slip Bag

Comments and criticism on my form, technique, and training.
    Everything ive learned is self taught, since i dont have a boxing gym near where I live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am i Using the Slip Bag Correctly?

Hey Red,

I noticed that when you were jumping rope, that your arms were sticking out way too far. I think that the problem is that your jump rope may be too long for you, so you'll need to find out the right length. Using a rope that's at the right length will enable you to train with proper form and thereby allow you to train longer and more efficiently.

To find the right length, start by holding the handles like ski-poles (upside-down in other words), and then take a small step forward with one foot stepping on the rope. Pull the handles up to your chest, and at the right length the tip the handles should come up no farther than the center of your chest (just above your nipples and below your arm pits). Cut a piece off of the rope until it's the right length, but not too short because that leads tp more problems with no chance of going back.

With your technique when skipping the rope, try to keep your elbows close to your body, and your hands should be near your waist. The motion comes from your forearms and the small twirl of your wrists. Your shoulders should stay relaxed, and don't raise your shoulders or the rope will catch on your feet. With your legs keep a slight bend in your knees, and you want to aim to jump just high enough to clear the rope.

As for the "slip bag", use something other than a bicycle helmet. You could fill a tube sock with sand/dirt (weight is important, you don't want it to be too light), or find a small sac (about the size of a boxing glove is ideal) or something else that would be appropriate. Also make sure that the rope that the bag hangs from is long enough that the bag comes to about head level, right now it's too short.

As for the technique of slipping, it's a deliberate movement that's all about timing. You shouldn't be moving your head about haphazardly (or moving around haphazardly for that matter), you want to move your head just out of the way of the bag right before it would hit you in the face. Remember that the bag simulates a punch and therefore you should treat it with as much respect. The bag should move in straight lines simulating a jab or straight right.

Anyways it's getting late over where I am, so I'll pick up where I left off to talk about how to slip properly, some counterpunches and some tips to go along with that.

By the way if boxing is something that you want to do, I recommend that you put in some time to find a qualified person to teach you boxing properly, and introduce you to sparing which is an absolute necessity if you want to make any kind of progress. Although there are no gyms by you locally, you should find out where the closest gym is and see what you would have to do to go there. Aside from the yellow pages, there are some some online directories that can help (boxinggyms.com or boxinghelp.com), but the best thing to do is ask around and talk to people that can show you where you should go.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks ill keep those tips in mind. Yea Im gonna make the baloon slip bag i found on youtube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You dont even need to get a new rope you can just tie nots in it near the handles till it feels right thats what i did and i like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To benefit from using any training apparatus, you always need to accurately visualize an opponent. I don't think that a person that's without any sparring or boxing experience will be able to get much out of any training apparatus since it would become an imitation of boxing rather than boxing out of necessity.

However, here are some good directions on how to slip:

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    Slipping is a method of avoiding a punch without moving out of range, used primarily against straight punches. The idea is to make the punch miss you by the smallest possible margin; this creates openings and you have both hands available to mount an attack. There are 4 basic 'slips':

1) Inside slip on a left jab: shift the weight over a strait left leg, turn the right shoulder forward. Swing right hip forward right knee bent and loose- keep left hand ready to stop his right. Also note that the motion made to slip inside is the same as that involved in throwing a straight right.

2)Inside slip on Straight Right: shift the weight over a straight right leg, turn left shoulder through to center line, right foot stationary, left toe turned inward. Note that this movement is same as throwing a left hook.

3)Outside slip on left jab: same as the above. Wt shifts to straight right leg, turn left hip and shoulder to the right, left hand low to counter right held higfh to guard, right foot stationary left toe turned inward. Also same motion as left hook.

4) Outside Slip on Straight Right: short step forward and sideways with left foot, shift weight over the left leg. right shoulder hip and leg swing forward to the left. Right hand low to counter left hand high to the right of the chin.

One more point. I'm sure you all know to turn sharply, with violence, when punching. Too often you see boxers get into a gentle roll on defense; you should use the same effort avoiding the punch as is spent trying to hit you. If you noticed above, the slips are nothing more than punching motions. We'll see in future posts some counters off these slips so get in the habit of snapping out of the way as well.
    How to slip the jab for beginners:
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    First, the inside slip (so that the punch passes over your right shoulder). To begin, shift the weight over a straight left leg. Turn the right shoulder forward; swing the right hip forward, right knee bent and loose. Point of reference, this is the exact same motion as that involved in throwing a right hand.

Second, the outside slip. (so that the punch passes over your left shoulder.) Shift weight over straight right leg, turn the left shoulder and hip to the right. Keep right foot stationary, left to pointed inward, left hand low to punch to the body, right hand high, off left shoulder. Point of reference: this is the same motion as that involved in throwing a left hook.

If somebody tells you that slipping is "head movement" they are mistaken; try and punch when moving only your head. In order to punch back you must begin the movement on your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by bertolacylee View Post
    You dont even need to get a new rope you can just tie nots in it near the handles till it feels right thats what i did and i like it.
    Definitely, but with plastic/leather jump ropes you just need to cut a bit off and put a little metal bit at the end clamp the rope into a new length.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing that might help,and Im not criticizing,because if you were in my gym Id check on you and leave the room to go work buisness,just a straight line,like a wash line or something,overall looks pretty good though

Thread Information