Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Head movement with Jab?

I have a question concerning head movement with the Jab. With professional boxing, I notice that most boxers lean their head off to the right when and pivot with their hip when they Jab, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnBcGst5CI

I understand that it adds power, but to me, it seems that it leaves you pretty open for a Cross. It also would seem that it takes longer to throw a Cross if you are doing a weight shift with a Jab as opposed to a "straight" Jab and a Cross. Sounds confusing, so here is a video of a straight 1-2 with no hip twists or head movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4oa6DbrI8

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Head movement with Jab?

I found the opposite to be true, and even a slight lean/dip towards the right would make it harder for an opponent to land right hands on me. See, on one hand you'd be putting yourself further away from their right hand and making it easier to avoid the right hand for that matter.

I'd spar with with a guy with a stocky Archie Moore like build who's style was influenced mainly by studying James Toney. He always stood slanted towards the right which made it infuriatingly difficult to catch him with a right hand, this was true even when I tried to bring my right hand over his jab.

What's interesting to note is if you look at the old boxing photos, all the guys leaned to the right as the way they stood, and often when they were jabbing, and sometimes practically bent over at the waist while doing so. This may seem incorrect according to the modern school of thought, but I'm sure that they did it on purpose. Isn't the name of the game "Hit and don't get hit?"
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've found it's important just to mix it up (like everything in boxing). Everytime you jab, you can trust your opponent is noticing where you head and gloves are. Do they move or do they stay. Do they step, pivot, dip before, after or during? I like to try to tuck my chin to my right shoulder while jabbing to counter the counter right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingDude66 View Post
    I have a question concerning head movement with the Jab. With professional boxing, I notice that most boxers lean their head off to the right when and pivot with their hip when they Jab, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnBcGst5CI

I understand that it adds power, but to me, it seems that it leaves you pretty open for a Cross. It also would seem that it takes longer to throw a Cross if you are doing a weight shift with a Jab as opposed to a "straight" Jab and a Cross. Sounds confusing, so here is a video of a straight 1-2 with no hip twists or head movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4oa6DbrI8

Thoughts?

There are different uses for the jab, and some are illustrated in the top video. Some times the boxer (Larry does it in the vid) reaches a little more and his weight ends on his left foot (often while circling), he does this to disrupt his opponent while moving into a better position and angle. But when used as a set up for the 1-2 they add a hip twist to shift the weight onto the right to come back with a powerful right, if you throw a right when your weight is already on the left foot then it'll only be an arm punch.

I also agree with chris that the twist makes it harder to counter.

Thread Information