Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is blocking really that bad??

I am an American ametuer with just a few fights. I have been reading alot of good information on these boards an there seems to be a consensus that blocking (or fighting from the high guard) is inferior to other styles/stances. I love Joshua Clotty and I try to use his style a little. I find that during a fight, it keeps me relaxed, uses less energy and lets me counter with power, espeially with the left hook.

Yes, it's harder to see the punches, but you can counter with feel. Yes, it might take longer to counter, but when I do, I am always planted and I have good balance since I am not shifting and stepping as much. I don't reach with my shots and my head is always behind that lead leg, unlike when I weave or shoulder roll- i seem to reach sometimes and my base never seems as solid. I tend to catch jabs when they are circling and jabbing me. I then try to trap them by walking them down with a high guard mostly just blocking.

And it also seems to suit my natural strengths and weaknesses. I have found that I have a good chin, good power and fight better inside. My weaknesses are speed and jabbing from the outside.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is blocking really that bad??

Do what suits you mate,we are all different.

I like trying different stuff that suits some situations and not others.

If they are out reaching you from the outside distance with their jab ,Try Catching their jab with your right hand next to your chin by turning to face the inside of it ever so slightly,once you can do that it should get your own left jab right into their face if you fire it off at the same moment, move right instantly though as soon as you've checked it with your right hand so that you open them up more, takes their balance away slightly to stop their rear arm comming and gets you away from their rear arm as well. You can follow their jab hand back in with your right hand as you close up on them.You can do all that off the back foot moving you into and then through a position, the lead foot twists slightly and adjusts automatically. You can even correct that lead foot slightly then pivot around it for your right hand shot.

With people in opposite stances try deflecting thier jab with your lead arm as it comes past your glove touch their elbow slightly on the outside and move in around it right then, or over it as they return.

You'd be surprised how a little shove halfway through a straight shot dissapates alot of the power out of the ending.
    Interuption can be great for fighters who can time well but havent great speed themselves cause it allows you that extra split second as they adjust.

Worth playing around with in sparring.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blocking isn't really that helpful, you can't counter effectively or quickly, you lose the tiring effect that making them miss a punch and over extending their arm has, it restricts your visibility and if they can punch hard then it's going to be very tiring for you if you rely on it too much. Your arms will be black and blue.

If I get a guy in his shell I'm going to f*ck his forearms/shoulders up, take his weapons away, break him down and open him up.

The other guy won't score a point when you block but if he hits hard enough he can still hurt you through your guard... obviously not as bad as if he hit your jaw/rib cage but it will take it out of you/wear you down.

It's useful sometimes... against an unfit puncher etc and when all else fails but I wouldn't learn to rely on it in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the feedback. I especially like the thought on moving of your back foot and following their jab back with a R counter. I would too often try to time a right by going over the top. When I would try this, i would usually eat the jab which would throw me off. And I usually find an overhand right has a longer distance to travel, especially versus a long jab.

I'm going to try following the jab back with the right. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't like the idea of having your gloves right on your cheekbones/temples the whole time. As far as defense and countering is concerned, I feel that it's of the greatest importance to see the punches. Even some fighters who are proponents of the peek-a-boo guard or high guard need to see what's coming. Take Winky Wright for example, he has both of his gloves right on his chin which allows him to see clearly, he'll bring his gloves up when it calls for it. When his gloves are by his chin he can see the punches as they're beginning to form, and he can react quickly and efficiently.

I think that it's better to bring your hands up when needed, there's no need to block punches that haven't been thrown, and limiting your vision means you're going to be getting caught with punches that you shouldn't be getting hit with otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    Yes, it's harder to see the punches, but you can counter with feel.
    This could lead to some nifty counters too. For example blocking a jab, and then immediately following it back with your own punch. It could work against you if you rely too much on this way of countering, say if your opponent hits your gloves with quick non-committal punches just to draw you to punch back.

I agree with what's been posted so far. Andre gives some ideas too.

Remember that your defense should be flexible and allow you to adapt to different situations. Don't get into the mentality that you can just use your arms/gloves as a shield to absorb punches with, be ready for anything!
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deflection or disruption is the key to countering as is making them miss totally too.

Like Adam said in different words: blocking is a whole one count wasted.

Thats why to block and counter can be done if you deflect and counter thats the reason i said you could catch one close to your chin with your rear glove while launching your jab simultaniously :

Im not by any means saying fight with it up there the whole time thats not good I agree with Chris's comment there.
    But to be relaxed enough to pop that rear hand up sometimes to not stop but check the ending of a hit gets you into the timing to be able to follow it back home as well.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information