Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy Jones Jnr V Gerald McClellan Circa 1994

How do you see this one folks? I think McClellan would've been Jones toughest ever opponent, he beat him as an Amateur, not that that would have much relevance

I think Jones would've weathered the early onslaught and picked 'G Man' off to win a UD

A matchup I would have loved to have seen

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones Jnr V Gerald McClellan Circa 1994

People might be suprised at this but I think the G-Man would knocked RJJ out in one or two rounds, having said that I that I think RJJ would beaten Nigel Benn every time they fought and needless to say we all know what happened when Benn fought McClellan. I just think styles makes fights and sure, in 1994 RJJ was at his peak but as Benn showed to beat McClellan you need to have tremondous heart, desire and the ability to keep on coming back after taken some heavy blows. This wasn't one of RJJ's main qualities.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Gerald would look real good for the first 4 rounds roughing Roy up a bit. After that I think Roy gets on his track shoes and wins a UD.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    How do you see this one folks? I think McClellan would've been Jones toughest ever opponent, he beat him as an Amateur, not that that would have much relevance

I think Jones would've weathered the early onslaught and picked 'G Man' off to win a UD

The problem with RJJ although he's one of my favorites. Is that sometimes he would lay on the ropes too much, and although he could take bodyshots well while laying on the ropes, Gerald McClellan was on a different page when it come to body punching he was ruthless.

But Gerald McClellan's defense was seriously suspect, and at times he was wide open. And RJJ would for certain exploit Gerald McClellan's weakish defense with his speedy counters.

I think this all boils down to if RJJ could survive the early going, if he did he would stop Gerald McClellan late on. But RJJ did have a suspect chin and i wouldn't be suprised if he was KO'ed early.

I'd side with RJJ by late stoppage but i wouldn't be confident in my pick, but thats only because RJJ is much more proven at the higher level. Where as Gerald McClellan's two best wins are against a faded Julian Jackson. And we never got to see Gerald McClellan's full potiental.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love watching McClellan fights. But against Jones I think he gets knocked out. And early. He'll go for the quick knock out and instead be knocked out quick.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I love watching McClellan fights. But against Jones I think he gets knocked out. And early. He'll go for the quick knock out and instead be knocked out quick.
    Gerald McClellan had a solid chin he took Julian Jackson's shots very well, but his defense was very leaky. And i think RJJ would make Gerald McClellan respect his power within a few rounds.

RJJ hit damn hard at Super Middleweight and even tough come forward fighters, like Merqui Sosa felt RJJ's power in only 1 round. And the difference between Julian Jackson, RJJ.

Is obviously speed and Julian Jackson didn't make Gerald McClellan, pay enough for his leaky defense. Where as RJJ would who is a master at counter punching off the ropes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Gerald McClellan had a solid chin he took Julian Jackson's shots very well, but his defense was very leaky. And i think RJJ would make Gerald McClellan respect his power within a few rounds.

RJJ hit damn hard at Super Middleweight and even tough come forward fighters, like Merqui Sosa felt RJJ's power in only 1 round. And the difference between Julian Jackson, RJJ.

Is obviously speed and Julian Jackson didn't make Gerald McClellan, pay enough for his leaky defense. Where as RJJ would who is a master at counter punching off the ropes.
    McClellan respected Jacksons power. Hell everybody did. He didn't go looking for the quick knock out against Jackson in there first fight. I don't see him respecting Jones power as much as he did Jackson's. And i think that would be his downfall

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McClellan would KO Roy... 1 out of 10.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would have been great but both were pretty tight....tough call.Roy was more seasoned and off of blitzing of respected Thomas Tate,who had went to war with Jackson before McClellan ever got to him....but I have never seen Roy with a warrior mentality,and was always weary of injury in the ring.Gerald would have to muscle him up,and def try to cut him off and pin him,A somewhat green Hopkins gave Roy some probs on ropes that a huge two fisted bomber like McClellan might duplicate early on.I just dont know how much Gerald was learning with blowouts over the Bells and used up Baptists,Jackson fight gave him a taste. I call it 50/50,but dont think McClellan could catch what wouldnt stand with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones takes a great body shot, he was so hard to hit cleanly even on the ropes back in his prime, and he was way too fast for McClellan, I think he would have started picking McClellan apart. It was more the defensive gurus that gave Jones problem than guys like Gerald.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones would have beat him UD imo. I think he would outbox him and out speed him. It would be a tough fight for him though.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

The problem with RJJ although he's one of my favorites. Is that sometimes he would lay on the ropes too much, and although he could take bodyshots well while laying on the ropes, Gerald McClellan was on a different page when it come to body punching he was ruthless.

But Gerald McClellan's defense was seriously suspect, and at times he was wide open. And RJJ would for certain exploit Gerald McClellan's weakish defense with his speedy counters.

I think this all boils down to if RJJ could survive the early going, if he did he would stop Gerald McClellan late on. But RJJ did have a suspect chin and i wouldn't be suprised if he was KO'ed early.

I'd side with RJJ by late stoppage but i wouldn't be confident in my pick, but thats only because RJJ is much more proven at the higher level. Where as Gerald McClellan's two best wins are against a faded Julian Jackson. And we never got to see Gerald McClellan's full potiental.
    Back then no one questioned jones' chin, any mention of roy's chin is all tarver hindsight nonsense IMO. He took flush shots from hopkins and toney standing up..Even took a flush right hand from John ruiz a legit heavy that floored evander holyfield... G-man was too open in a his aggression and would have (benn) kayoed inside of six...jones punches were too quick and he would have hit GMAN with something he wouldn't have seen coming.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you guys must have forgot how good of a boxer Gerald was.. Gerald is a 1 punch concussive hitter guys like Jackson and McClellan only come around once a generation.

Its a classic case of Roy Never had fought in his career a guy like McClellan even to this day. Roy was a a special guy that no one has ever seen when he was operating in his prime. Total Pikem for me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    you guys must have forgot how good of a boxer Gerald was.. Gerald is a 1 punch concussive hitter guys like Jackson and McClellan only come around once a generation.

Its a classic case of Roy Never had fought in his career a guy like McClellan even to this day. Roy was a a special guy that no one has ever seen when he was operating in his prime. Total Pikem for me

it was a pickem fight till about the 4th round.

Roy Jones was never down nor hurt in a fight until he fought at Light Heavyweight.

I think him and Gerald would have went to war but eventually Roy would have got him late in the fight after making him pay for his wide punches.

And Gerald's only fight at Super Middleweight was Nigel Benn I think and thats where the tragedy happened.

I don't think he could have taken Roy Jones's punishment at 168, Roy just hit too hard and was too fast and too skilled. Gerald would have had him goin early but he wouldn't have stopped him and Roy would have taken over and stopped him late.

Gerald should have stayed a Middleweight. I would have loved to see him fight Hopkins.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I argue that Roy had a pretty good chin until he came back down to 175, and that Tarver is a pretty heavy handed guy who hit him perfectly. There is no excuse for what Glen Johnson did to him because up until that point Roy was blocking almost everything Glen was throwing, at least to his head.

Thread Information