Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Defination of GREATNESS

I would like to hear from saddo fans what your defination of Greatness is?

To me a GREAT Champion determines how a Champ carries himself , how many top fighters he fought, winning a fight he was losing, how he came back defeat and how a champion gave back to his neighbourhood.

I wonder what Champions come into these categories and will be interested on what your thoughts are.

I reckon with these points in mind there would only be an handful of Champs who really do come into the status has GREAT CHAMP.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Otley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Defination of GREATNESS

I think one factor is whether a boxer tries to find new challenges, always better himself.

Some great boxers fall short in this particular department, for example Mayweather Jr. is great, but he seems to have passed on a few significant challenges.

A guy like Mosely passes with flying colors. He always seemed to try and fight the best available, no matter what division he was in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although it may seem silly, I think a 'loss' is vital to true greatness as it gives you the opportunity to avenge the loss, take part in a trilogy, and it improves the status of your rival.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is any man held up as great?

We measure the greatness of a man by the affect he has on society. In boxing it's the boxing society. He becomes the role model everyone wants to emulate. Not just his success, but how he achieved success. We are inspired.

When someone is truely great we all know it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greatness IMO should be determined on how good you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greatness is too difficult to define as we all have opinions on fighters that vary from fan to fan!

For Instance...

Ali is considered a Great and is adored by most of the boxing fraternity,not only for his boxing ability,but for his personality and the public persona he portrayed..

Where as..

All I see is a racist,draft dodging fucker that shit on Frazier when he was the only one who put out a hand to help him and stabbed him in his back....I see a Great Boxer,but a Cunt of a man!

Its all in your're own perspective!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good isn't GREAT though...If you know what I mean. That's why GREAT should only be added against the elite and many factors should be addressed before adding the TAG GREAT to the very FEW....MUHAMMED ALI.......MARGIN HAGLER.....or Azumah Nelson......its difficult but who do you put in that category?

Otley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mofo2 View Post
    Greatness is too difficult to define as we all have opinions on fighters that vary from fan to fan!

For Instance...

Ali is considered a Great and is adored by most of the boxing fraternity,not only for his boxing ability,but for his personality and the public persona he portrayed..

Where as..

All I see is a racist,draft dodging fucker that shit on Frazier when he was the only one who put out a hand to help him and stabbed him in his back....I see a Great Boxer,but a Cunt of a man!

Its all in your're own perspective!

I was sursprised when they choose Ali to light the '96 Olympic flame. A very good boxer, not that great of a person. IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    Good isn't GREAT though...If you know what I mean. That's why GREAT should only be added against the elite and many factors should be addressed before adding the TAG GREAT to the very FEW....MUHAMMED ALI.......MARGIN HAGLER.....or Azumah Nelson......its difficult but who do you put in that category?

Otley
    I would have to say Dick Tiger.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lot of variables but to me greatness can at times be based on more than skills alone.When believed to be the best,is willing to face best,adversity and big odds with zero guarantee of success...inside and outside of the ring.One that does not 'settle' but strives to improve,maximizes advantages & never losses belief in abilities or skill set and makes no excuses. And when facing defeat,can be honest and respectful but.....all the while studying mistakes and clamoring for the next opportunity to prove self.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me a GREAT Champion determines how a Champ carries himself , how many top fighters he fought, winning a fight he was losing, how he came back defeat and how a champion gave back to his neighbourhood.

I wonder what Champions come into these categories and will be interested on what your thoughts are.

I reckon with these points in mind there would only be an handful of Champs who really do come into the status has GREAT CHAMP.

Otley
    Why does that even matter? What he does or says outside the ring shouldn't determine anything

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

defination ? You mean like the US and South Africa?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Greatness IMO should be determined on how good you are.
    Shouldn't it be determined by how great you are? I mean how good you are would only determine goodness. hmm.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Otley
    Why does that even matter? What he does or says outside the ring shouldn't determine anything
    Would have to agree dependant on how you are measuring Great, do you mean as an all round athelte and person or just as a boxer.If just a boxer then it's based in the ring. How does he cope with a knockdown or defeat does he take new challenges by moving weight for big fights or take on all comers.These sorts of things determine a great fighter.

All of the above for Great in terms of all round as a fighter and person, what do they give back , do they live a clean life and treat others with respect.

overall Ali, doesn't come up to scratch, he wasn't a nice person even when he found religion, Sonny Liston wasn't nice either, but both are GREAT in terms of boxing.the list could go on.

GREAT all round, would be they guys like McGuigan who seem like decent well balanced people, Jim Watt ...........

Depends on whether or not you simply care outside of boxing, I still enjoy watching Tyson, doesn't take away from the fact I dislike him as a person.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    defination ? You mean like the US and South Africa?

I sware booze, you are one funny fucker.

Thread Information