Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prime Donald Curry Was Awesome.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Prime Donald Curry Was Awesome.

I hadn't seen that many Donald Curry fights, only about 5. But recently i've been watching a prime Donald Curry and boy was he awesome. In the fights i watched he looked like an ATG. The way he would just stand straight up. Making opponents believe he was easy to hit, then he would move his upperbody so fast and sharp shoot with excellent counter shots.

Sorry but i personally believe if Donald Curry was in his prime he would of beat Lloyd Honeyghan. Its just amazing how far from grace Donald Curry fell and how quickly it happened aswell. I blame it on too many Amateur fights, which made him go stale in the pro ranks whats your opinions ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Donald Curry Was Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    I hadn't seen that many Donald Curry fights, only about 5. But recently i've been watching a prime Donald Curry and boy was he awesome. In the fights i watched he looked like an ATG. The way he would just stand straight up. Making opponents believe he was easy to hit, then he would move his upperbody so fast and sharp shoot with excellent counter shots.

Sorry but i personally believe if Donald Curry was in his prime he would of beat Lloyd Honeyghan. Its just amazing how far from grace Donald Curry fell and how quickly it happened aswell. I blame it on too many Amateur fights, which made him go stale in the pro ranks whats your opinions ?
    Wasn't he prine when he fought Honeyghan? Wasn't he on a run of KO Defences and had just KOed Milton McCrory in 2 rounds?

He was many people's P4P number 1 even ahead of Hagler

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Curry himself deserves some of the blame. It was said he would really ballon up in between fights. And would have to struggle to make weight. Mills Lane even talked about it in his book

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Wasn't he prine when he fought Honeyghan? Wasn't he on a run of KO Defences and had just KOed Milton McCrory in 2 rounds?

No he wasn't he had weight problems and took Lloyd Honeyghan too lightly, it was no different to Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas. Yet you yourself will say that wasn't Mike Tyson in his prime so whats the difference ?

There is no difference except Mike Tyson had a very short Amateur career, where as Donald Curry had 404 Amateur fights. Which was the reason IMO he went stale quickly in the pros.

If you've seen Donald Curry land one of the best left hooks against Milton McCrory, or destroy fighters like Nino La Rocca or outhustle Marlon Starling in there 2nd fight. Its easy to tell Donald Curry was a shell of himself against Lloyd Honeyghan.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Curry himself deserves some of the blame. It was said he would really ballon up in between fights. And would have to struggle to make weight. Mills Lane even talked about it in his book
    Yea i heard about that i also heard he had poor management, and also his extra long Amateur career didn't help either.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't anyone would have beaten the "Raggamuffin Man" that night

Even just about remember watching that with my brother who was going nuts at the tv.

Seems so long ago and i wasn't aware of Curry coming out with any excuses after Lloyd smashed him.

Infact i though Curry was a HUGE favourite and on a mad winning streak

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I don't anyone would have beaten the "Raggamuffin Man" that night

Even just about remember watching that with my brother who was going nuts at the tv.

Seems so long ago and i wasn't aware of Curry coming out with any excuses after Lloyd smashed him.

Infact i though Curry was a HUGE favourite and on a mad winning streak
    You could say Mike Tyson didn't give any excuses either, when he lost to Buster Douglas all he said was it was my fault and ETC. It still doesn't mean he wasn't a shell of what he normally was.

Just like Donald Curry was and if you see his fights before the Lloyd Honeyghan one, its not hard to tell that he performed poorly in the Lloyd Honeyghan fight.

And even though it was a fine performance from Lloyd Honeyghan, he hardly looked unbeatable. And im not sure when Lloyd Honeyghan started to become stale himself.

But i heard he had bad hands and his partylife style aswell as his brawling style, caught up with him instead of being the boxer like he was against Donald Curry. He become too much of a brawler.

And he did get beaten embarrasingly by a fighter who Donald Curry, was able to outhustle twice aka Marlon Starling. It reminded me of Winky Wright vs Felix Trinidad although not quite as bad as that.

Prime for prime Donald Curry vs Lloyd Honeyghan would of been an awesome fight. But i think Donald Curry would have pulled it out over 12 rounds.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No he wasn't he had weight problems and took Lloyd Honeyghan too lightly, it was no different to Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas. Yet you yourself will say that wasn't Mike Tyson in his prime so whats the difference ?

There is no difference except Mike Tyson had a very short Amateur career, where as Donald Curry had 404 Amateur fights. Which was the reason IMO he went stale quickly in the pros.

If you've seen Donald Curry land one of the best left hooks against Milton McCrory, or destroy fighters like Nino La Rocca or outhustle Marlon Starling in there 2nd fight. Its easy to tell Donald Curry was a shell of himself against Lloyd Honeyghan.
    That punch on McCrory was chilling, nearly as good as the one McCallum knocked Curry out with - but wasn't the McCrory KO just a few months before the Honeyghan fight? Why did he suddenly become shot between those 2 rounds and fighting Honeyghan?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PS - The Tyson that fought Douglas was a drug ravished maniac

ICB Guest

That punch on McCrory was chilling, nearly as good as the one McCallum knocked Curry out with - but wasn't the McCrory KO just a few months before the Honeyghan fight? Why did he suddenly become shot between those 2 rounds and fighting Honeyghan?
    Well i wasn't around in that era but i heard, Donald Curry was seriously weight drained in the Lloyd Honeyghan fight. Whatever it was he wasn't anywhere as good as he was in previous fights.

But after the Lloyd Honeyghan fight it all went down hill, but funny enough now you bring up the Mike McCallum fight. I thought Donald Curry looked better against Mike McCallum than he did against Lloyd Honeyghan.

I thought he was beating Mike McCallum and it looked like for a few rounds, that maybe he was finding his old form again. But that left hook was brutal and scary from Mike McCallum.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Curry once said he didn't like boxing, never wanted to turn pro after the ams, but the lure of the money/riches trapped him.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Curry once said he didn't like boxing, never wanted to turn pro after the ams, but the lure of the money/riches trapped him.
    All fighters fight for money not pride FACT

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    All fighters fight for money not pride FACT

Exactly.

It probably explains why so many go off the rails once they get a few bob.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could watch Donald Curry over any other fighter including Tyson , JCC and Roy Jones. He was that good. Curry was a beautiful boxer, precision punching and good KO power and it was wonderful seeing him in action. Do not think there has been another fighter with his style of boxing. Saw fights of him at his peak beating Colin Jones, Starling, Jun Suk Hwang and brutal KO of Milton McCrory.

Why he became shot is another topic, but I did notice he started taking too many punches. He hurt McCallum the most I have ever seen with the right cross and he gave Norris and Nunn at their peak very uncomfortable and hard fights

Honeyghan was a brilliant fighter himself, on that night he may not have been denied by even a peak Curry, remember Lloyd was fearless, and even went to Italy and Koed their champ, but agreed peak Curry would have just held off Honyghan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I could watch Donald Curry over any other fighter including Tyson , JCC and Roy Jones. He was that good. Curry was a beautiful boxer, precision punching and good KO power and it was wonderful seeing him in action. Do not think there has been another fighter with his style of boxing. Saw fights of him at his peak beating Colin Jones, Starling, Jun Suk Hwang and brutal KO of Milton McCrory.

Why he became shot is another topic, but I did notice he started taking too many punches. He hurt McCallum the most I have ever seen with the right cross and he gave Norris and Nunn at their peak very uncomfortable and hard fights

Honeyghan was a brilliant fighter himself, on that night he may not have been denied by even a peak Curry, remember Lloyd was fearless, and even went to Italy and Koed their champ, but agreed peak Curry would have just held off Honyghan.
    Great response.

Thread Information