Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto won't hurt Clottey with body shots

Very nice but what people tend to forget boxers with the Ghanian guard are rarely hurt by body shots. Oscar De La Hoya really attacked Felix Sturms body and Shane Mosley went after Winky Wrights. Both had little effect (i know people are gonna mention they were to small but there are the best examples i know). When was Azumah Nelson or Ike Quartey ever hurt by a body shot? As a guys hands arepurely protecting his face he is mentally prepared for body shots. Plus its not like Margo didn't hit Clottey with body shots with the 1500 punches he threw.
    On the other hand Cotto will find it harder to tag Clotteys face than he did Margarito's so he will invest in the body surely. I just don't see it being effective especially when Clottey is gonna weigh 165 pounds plus. This is his chance to step into the spotlight and he is gonna take out years of frustration on Cotto and stop him late. He is gonna have to have a better workrate than he did against Judah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto won't hurt Clottey with body shots

Cotto's body shots are going to be felt by anyone he faces. Cotto hits hard. Now that being said I dont think he will KO Clottey on body shots. This is going to be a heck of a fight. I have Cotto winning a decision but I cant wait cause you never know. Clottey is one tough SOB. Cotto is not going to walk all over Clottey. I think Cotto dominates the first half and Clottey comes on strong in the second. Just a matter of who steals a few here and there. Cotto is a superior boxer but has stamina issues.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this goes to the cards, no way Cotto doesn't win with it being in NY with a possible Pacquiao fight on the horizon. I expect he will have enough to take it anyway, however, Cotto seems a fighter who really requires that mental edge & if he starts getting hurt by Clottey's uppercuts, then he might start doubting whether Margarito really had plaster in his gloves, & this could lose him the fight. Clottey isn't the hardest puncher, but he can break people down.

Michael Jennings, Cotto's last victim, was on a boxing show yesterday, & whilst he picked Cotto to win, when asked if he was the hardest puncher he'd faced he said no. He said, whilst he hadn't been hit by as accurate a puncher, he had been hit harder with harder individual punches than those Cotto got him with. Just thought that was interesting considering how we go on about what a power-puncher Cotto is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When was Azumah Nelson or Ike Quartey ever hurt by a body shot?

One thing you must always remember Joshua Clottey is NOT either of these guy's. Anyway didn't Salvador Sanchez riproar Nelson to the body until he was stopped in the fifteenth? I think Clottey is probably the second most overrated fighter today and Cotto without a doubt is the best bodypuncher today. So to say Clottey will through a 12 round fight without ever getting hurt is a bit upsurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A perfect liver shot is always a paralyzing pain. But I doubt Cotto will catch Clottey with that punch.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course Cotto can hurt Clottey with body shots. That isn't to say body shots will stop Clottey though. I'm leaning more and more to a late Cotto stoppage.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not convinced. But welcome to the forum.

Should be a good fight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Of course Cotto can hurt Clottey with body shots. That isn't to say body shots will stop Clottey though. I'm leaning more and more to a late Cotto stoppage.
    and don't really see Clottey taking over the second half, he has stamina issues himself, and that could only worsen with a barrage of body shots from Cotto, but honestly my pick is Cotto UD

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    and don't really see Clottey taking over the second half, he has stamina issues himself, and that could only worsen with a barrage of body shots from Cotto, but honestly my pick is Cotto UD
    A Cotto decision is a sensible choice. Clottey's main strength is his durability, but I think Cotto has too many skills overall. Clottey might have a few moments, but I can see Cotto busting him up here.

Should be good fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto didnt hut Shane with bodyshots either and still managed to pull out a win. and shane is stronger, faster, and a better boxer than clottey IMO.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got to agree, Clotteys defense doesn't really allow for it with his elbows glued to his waist. Although Cotto may go a bit furthur if he keeps hitting elbow.(Back shots ala Quintana, Urkal)

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Cobra View Post
    Very nice but what people tend to forget boxers with the Ghanian guard are rarely hurt by body shots. Oscar De La Hoya really attacked Felix Sturms body and Shane Mosley went after Winky Wrights. Both had little effect (i know people are gonna mention they were to small but there are the best examples i know). When was Azumah Nelson or Ike Quartey ever hurt by a body shot? As a guys hands arepurely protecting his face he is mentally prepared for body shots. Plus its not like Margo didn't hit Clottey with body shots with the 1500 punches he threw.
    On the other hand Cotto will find it harder to tag Clotteys face than he did Margarito's so he will invest in the body surely. I just don't see it being effective especially when Clottey is gonna weigh 165 pounds plus. This is his chance to step into the spotlight and he is gonna take out years of frustration on Cotto and stop him late. He is gonna have to have a better workrate than he did against Judah.
    Im sorry but Joshua Clottey is not Ike Quartey and he certainly isn't the legendary Azumah Nelson. I don't think either of those fighters would lose heart on only an injured hand against Antonio Margarito, or give away a win over the limited Carlos Baldomir.

Have you ever seen Joshua Clottey vs Richard Gutierrez ? Joshua Clottey was quite easy too hit to the body. And did have some problems with body shots and even though he done enough to win a decision.

He almost gave away a win again and people seem to be forgetting this, Joshua Clottey has suspect stamina and a suspect mentality. And i don't really think Joshua Clottey is proven at the world class stage IMO.

Is he good ? yes he is and he deserves his shot, but i do think Joshua Clottey is getting a bit overrated by fans. He isn't special in any one area except for his counter punching, and he certainly has some flaws with his concentration, stamina. And leaving his body exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nelson may have been hit with numerous body shots by Sanchez but it was head shots that finally stopped him plus he was like a 16 fight novice whilst Sanchez was having like his 41st fight.
    Tip of the month: Protect yourselves at all times. You never know when the scheming bitch will come back for more.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ghanaian fighters have high guards so the body shots are going to be the only effective punch for Cotto.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Got to agree, Clotteys defense doesn't really allow for it with his elbows glued to his waist. Although Cotto may go a bit furthur if he keeps hitting elbow.(Back shots ala Quintana, Urkal)
    or bang the arms and fracture Clottey's arm ( ala Gianluca Branco)

Thread Information