Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will the war catch up with Cotto?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When will the war catch up with Cotto?

He has been in some wars the last few years with Judah,Margarito and Clottey and a few more.How long before they catch up with him.He's still only 28 but he carnt keep been in these sort of fight without it taking its affect on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When will the war catch up with Cotto?

I think he's starting to go down hill. Mosley would beat him for sure in rematch imo.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Quinito View Post
    I think he's starting to go down hill. Mosley would beat him for sure in rematch imo.
    Shane Mosley hasn't looked that good in recent fights either IMO, yes he did beat Antonio Margarito impressively. But how good is Antonio Margarito really ? without loaded gloves ?

Because he didn't have the same thudding punches in the Shane Mosley fight, as soon as he didn't have loaded gloves.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Shane Mosley hasn't looked that good in recent fights either IMO, yes he did beat Antonio Margarito impressively. But how good is Antonio Margarito really ? without loaded gloves ?

Because he didn't have the same thudding punches in the Shane Mosley fight, as soon as he didn't have loaded gloves.
    He still KO'd a guy with an iron chin. Also Shane fought a fight that didn't allow Margarito to get off his uppercuts, so it's difficult to say whether he was suddenly weaker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley stopped Mayorga as well, he bet Collazo much worse than Berto or Hatton, he stopped MArgarito, and he almost beat Cotto.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

Mosley stopped Mayorga as well, he bet Collazo much worse than Berto or Hatton, he stopped MArgarito, and he almost beat Cotto.
    He stopped Ricardo Mayorga but whats that saying really ? Ricardo Mayorga is one of the most one dimensional/sloppy fighters in current boxing, and his chin isn't even as solid as it used to be. And he isn't as good as he once was.

Plus Shane Mosley also struggled against Ricardo Mayorga, and ODLH beat a better version of Ricardo Mayorga in 6 rounds instead of 12 rounds. And without struggling at all either.

Luis Collazo broke his hand which changed the fight totally IMO, had it not been for that incident. I believe the fight would of been alot closer.

As i said about Antonio Margarito already he has no skills, and he relied on loaded gloves to wear opponents down. Because of his limited skills, how good is he really without loaded gloves ?

And after watching the fight a few more times, i thought Miguel Cotto beat Shane Mosley clearly. It was close points wise but Miguel Cotto won his rounds more clearly.

He controlled the fight with his solid left jab, and Shane Mosley only made a comeback late on because Miguel Cotto. Cruised in the later rounds because he knew he had the fight won.

I don't really see Shane Mosley doing much better, Shane Mosley isn't that good at adjusting IMO. And the left jab of Miguel Cotto will give him fits again like it did the 1st time.
    Last edited by ICB; 06-14-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well at 28 Cotto already fought the very best welterweights out there outside of the GIGANTIC Paul Williams who like Margarito has no business squeezing their bodyframes in a weight class too small for them.

Cotto clearly beat Mosely, stopped by the CHEAT'O which IMO is NOW shady and won a close battle against a great WW himself in Clottey. Even PBF did not attempt getting anywhere near those guys.
    COTTO YOU ARE A WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the wars he's been in have already caught up with Cotto. I think Arum will give him a big payday against Pacman next now that the Mayweather fight is delayed and that Manny wins. After that Cotto has another Michael Jennings-type fight and then gets another big payday with a Margarito rematch, or at least the biggest payday available at that point in his career. After that he should retire.

XaduBoxer Guest

All I can say is, Clottey did soften Cotto some more... There's even speculations that PBF postponed his JMM fight and now will go after the soften Cotto after Arum lambasted PBF by saying PBF doesn't fight bigger guys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito even with loaded handwraps wouldn't have beat Mosley, Shane's chin and body are too good for that, if it took Margarito 11 rounds to stop Cotto, but Mosley has shown he is one of hte top fighters in the sport, and Cotto is clearly one as well.

I think Cotto likely beats Mosley against, because Mosley's punches are easy to see coming, he has always been a great athlete and a basic fighter, sure he has had great combinations and speed, but those were all athletic ability. Even now he relies primarily on his physical assets.

I think people are just too tough on fighters for winning close fights against tough guys. People gave Berto hell for how he fought Collazo, but he fought a stupid style where he was wide open against a guy who is usually dangerous for anyone, and Collazo was in the best shape of his life(it was the first fight he could fully train for without a side job). Now we see Cotto beat a B+,A- guy in a very tough fight, but IMO Clottey isn't the type of guy he generally has success against. He is better against boxers and guys who don't have a ton of durability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know that this fight was seen by many as a redemption for Cotto. That the coming through such a tough trial maybe chased some of the demons away that were supposedly haunting Cotto after Margarito. Many have also praised Arthur Mercante Jr. for his reffing. Plus fight fans got to watch a very entertaining war.

But is it just me, or does anyone else feel it was completely unnecessary for Cotto to have taken that kind of punishment? Sometimes it seems like corners don't understand the rules, and think that their fighter will lose no matter how a cut is caused, if they stop because of it. I really think the corner should have told the Doctor that Cotto couldn't see to protect himself. Also, I've seen plenty of refs stop the fight to at least call the doctor over to look at the cut and talk to the fighter, when the cut is that bad and the figher is getting blindsided like that.

It just seemed so obvious that Cotto was not really able to defend himself from those right hands. All props to Cotto for toughing it out and finding a way to win, but he almost looked like Cintron at moments. Like he was on the verge of folding up shop. Cotto's corner could have told the Doctor that they couldn't stop the bleeding and that Cotto couldn't see the right hands coming. Then Cotto would have won a decision, without having to take so much punishment.

Then again, they (the corner, the ref, the doctor) are the pros and they were all right there, so maybe they know best... I just have to wonder how much that took out of Cotto, that could have been avoided?
    Last edited by Myk_Myk; 06-15-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Cotto is shot...yet, but It looks like he is going down hill necause of the wars. I hope he isn't past his prime yet at only 28, but he doesn't have that invincibility that he once had, 2, 3 years ago.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tell you the truth ice think Margarito if he comes back can beat Cotto if he takes a beating for the first part of it and Cotto gasses out in late half. Mosley flat out beat Margarito down i dont care what gloves he used he was getting a ass whooping from Mosley he is just bad fighter for him. After seeing this fight with Clotty if he woudl of put more pressure on Cotto he was going down hell i dont even thing Margarito in this fight because form what i saw last night if eh did would of been over faster.

XaduBoxer Guest

When will the war catch up with Cotto?

When Cotto fights PAC on November 14, 2009...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by XaduBoxer View Post
    When will the war catch up with Cotto?

When Cotto fights PAC on November 14, 2009...

PacMan has been into many wars himself....how come nobody's asking when it will catch up with him....

Thread Information