Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Study Group: Mike McCallum vs. Donald Curry

Mike McCallum vs. Donald Curry

Here's a classic fight for discussion suggested by Dadi Astthorsson who has recently joined our board.

Download the Full Fight Here

Round 5:
    I haven't reviewed this fight yet, but it's interesting to note the range that this fight is mostly fought at.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 06-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Study Group: Mike McCallum vs. Donald Curry

Mike was getting his arse handed Him, shut His eyes and let one go
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    No he didn't actually. That was a brilliantly executed move. McCallum said he had noticed Curry retreating backwards and leaving his chin exposed whenever Mike went for the body. Mike feinted with an uppercut and caught Curry with his hands down.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats what Mike told me one Day while talking about it

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i bet he doesn't believe it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jokaleras View Post
    No he didn't actually. That was a brilliantly executed move. McCallum said he had noticed Curry retreating backwards and leaving his chin exposed whenever Mike went for the body. Mike feinted with an uppercut and caught Curry with his hands down.
    Excerpt from Sports Illustrated Article, A Loud Left From A Quite Champ: Junior middleweight titleholder Mike McCallum knocked out - 07.27.87 - SI Vault

"Normally a slow starter, McCallum planned to jump on Curry right from the opening bell. "I have studied him," McCallum said. "He has a great right hand and a good hook. Let's see if he can handle the pressure and my body shots."

In the second round Curry buckled McCallum's knees with a right to the head. McCallum slumped and then steadied himself. "It was a great hook," the champion said. "It was the closest I've ever come to being knocked down."

Curry stepped up the pace in the third round and was in command until the end of the fourth when McCallum caught him with a solid right to the head. The momentum shifted. During the minute's rest after the round, McCallum told his corner that Curry was starting to cover up to protect his body.

Thirty seconds into the fifth round McCallum threw a right hand to the body, and, as Curry covered, he fired a harmless hook to the head. McCallum was testing Curry, and inwardly he smiled. Soon, he thought.

A few moments later McCallum hooked twice and then showed Curry a slow right uppercut to the body. "I just wanted him to see the right hand," McCallum said later. With his eyes locked on the decoy, Curry leaned back and lowered his hands. "I just got careless and relaxed," Curry said.

He picked a poor moment to take a breather. Stepping to his left, McCallum turned hard, cracking the hook against Curry's jaw. The challenger never saw the punch. He fell backward, bounced once and then lay stiff, his hands over his head. Curry's eyes were open but unfocused. He heard nothing as referee Richard Steele counted him out.

Afterward, McCallum wore a wide smile across his unmarked face. "Do you think everybody knows who Mike McCallum is now?" the champion said."

It was a great fight. For Donald Curry, it was to give meaning to the word on the back of his robe, and that word was redemption. What impressed me is that this fight was fought consistently at mid-range. It gets tricky because the distance often changes rapidly, and the fighters have to have a good sense of each other in order to stay competitive. In the end, McCallum brought Curry's hands down by feinting the right uppercut to the body, and then with a Patterson-esque left hook the fight was over.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 08-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone got the Fight to put up, remember it well was rooting for Mike. But He wasnt winning it, Curry. was caught with a long lefthook. We were having a Laugth about it in the Gym one Day, thats what He told me and I agreed with Him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokaleras View Post
    Excerpt from Sports Illustrated Article, A Loud Left From A Quite Champ: Junior middleweight titleholder Mike McCallum knocked out - 07.27.87 - SI Vault

"Normally a slow starter, McCallum planned to jump on Curry right from the opening bell. "I have studied him," McCallum said. "He has a great right hand and a good hook. Let's see if he can handle the pressure and my body shots."

In the second round Curry buckled McCallum's knees with a right to the head. McCallum slumped and then steadied himself. "It was a great hook," the champion said. "It was the closest I've ever come to being knocked down."

Curry stepped up the pace in the third round and was in command until the end of the fourth when McCallum caught him with a solid right to the head. The momentum shifted. During the minute's rest after the round, McCallum told his corner that Curry was starting to cover up to protect his body.

Thirty seconds into the fifth round McCallum threw a right hand to the body, and, as Curry covered, he fired a harmless hook to the head. McCallum was testing Curry, and inwardly he smiled. Soon, he thought.

A few moments later McCallum hooked twice and then showed Curry a slow right uppercut to the body. "I just wanted him to see the right hand," McCallum said later. With his eyes locked on the decoy, Curry leaned back and lowered his hands. "I just got careless and relaxed," Curry said.

He picked a poor moment to take a breather. Stepping to his left, McCallum turned hard, cracking the hook against Curry's jaw. The challenger never saw the punch. He fell backward, bounced once and then lay stiff, his hands over his head. Curry's eyes were open but unfocused. He heard nothing as referee Richard Steele counted him out.

Afterward, McCallum wore a wide smile across his unmarked face. "Do you think everybody knows who Mike McCallum is now?" the champion said."

It was a great fight. For Donald Curry, it was to give meaning to the word on the back of his robe, and that word was redemption. What impressed me is that this fight was fought consistently at mid-range. It gets tricky because the distance often changes rapidly, and the fighters have to have a good sense of each other in order to stay competitive. In the end, McCallum brought Curry's hands down by feinting the right uppercut to the body, and then with a Patterson-esque left hook the fight was over.
    great article. thanks for that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was the righthand to the Bollocks that caused the problem it froze Him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone got the Fight to put up, remember it well was rooting for Mike. But He wasnt winning it, Curry. was caught with a long lefthook. We were having a Laugth about it in the Gym one Day, thats what He told me and I agreed with Him.
    that's pretty cool. i also found a youtube vid where he talks about the KO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNsz8yRoBg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha, I was doubtful before. But I can buy it. Was that right hand really on Curry's bollocks?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty near, but a Hand is a Hand doesnt matter whose it is

ICB Guest

I wouldn't say Mike McCallum was getting his ass handed to him, but he was having some problems. But again Mike McCallum is a distant fighter, he was losing to Milton McCrory for the first few rounds also, until he started to wear him down and then stopped him late on.

He had some problems for 4 rounds vs Donald Curry but so what ? he was behind what 2 points ? and he found a weakness and delivered a perfect punch, not lucky at all it was only 5 rounds.

Lastly i respect Mike McCallum alot he gave, alot of young fighters a chance. And he also gave some of are best British fighters a shot. A true class act and great fighter with a punishing body attack.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmc2.jpg

This is the week after, so were still laughing about it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's great, Scrap. It must have been a joyful time.

Thread Information