Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Prospects From 06-07

I got the idea last night after seeing Teddy Atlas' top 10 prosects, with this new batch of prospects we see I wanted to go and revisit a great thread we had in 2006 running into late 2007 about some of the top prospects in the sport at that time, would be interesting to see what everyone's take on some of these guys are now. I'll link the thread and then start going through them individually.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...gy-boxing.html

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prospects From 06-07

The main guy I thought was destined for big things was Aaron Williams who was knocked out last year by Jose Luis Herrera in a fight he Wiwas dominating until he got sloppy then got caught. Then he went to Germany and was a victim of circumstance. He had a shakey first couple rounds against Cuban Yoan Pablo Hernandez but then boxed really well side to side, he got caught in the 7th but rebounded nicely boxing in the 8th. Had the fight gone 10 rounds it probably would have been a clearcut victory for Williams in most people's eyes except the judges. The scorecards were attroscious, 8-0 on one card and the others weren't great either. I personally felt the fight was a draw and I could see how it could have been 5-3 Hernandez though I felt it a lot easier to score it for Williams. Disappointing, hopefully that doesn't send him in a tailspin because he still has that talent, his confidence didn't seem all there in the first few rounds and that's never a good sign. Also I see in my original assessment I thought of him to be a sharpshooter, maybe that's the case in the first few rounds of fights but it's pretty clear he's not the pinpoint puncher I thought he once was.

ICB Guest

Ray Bautista has got to be one of the most disappointing prospects from 2006 or so. I never thought he was anything special but i thought he would achieve more.

The loss to Daniel Ponce De Leon was understandable, because he was still young and maybe the occasion got to him. But losing to a journeyman one sidedly in his last fight was unforgivable, and he's totally shot now.

What about Joel Julio aswell ? i remember him being totally hyped up and look where he is now nowhere.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Linares, Kirkland and JuanMa all turned out all right, well except for the Kirkland felony.

Paschal turned out better than I thought he would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not quite sold out on Bernabe Concepcion yet. But we'll see after he fights Luevano this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sad how on that list Khan and Berto were number 1 and 2 of destines for greatness. My how things change
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Sad how on that list Khan and Berto were number 1 and 2 of destines for greatness. My how things change
    Berto is an undefeated Welterweight title holder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Linares, Kirkland and JuanMa all turned out all right, well except for the Kirkland felony.

Paschal turned out better than I thought he would.

Word!!....{does anyone still say that?}

Anyways, does Jason Litzau count for a place on this thread? Does h get epic FAIL or what?

And what's up with that Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillen kat?
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Ray Bautista has got to be one of the most disappointing prospects from 2006 or so. I never thought he was anything special but i thought he would achieve more.

The loss to Daniel Ponce De Leon was understandable, because he was still young and maybe the occasion got to him. But losing to a journeyman one sidedly in his last fight was unforgivable, and he's totally shot now.

What about Joel Julio aswell ? i remember him being totally hyped up and look where he is now nowhere.
    Julio still gave a competitive fight to Kirkland, that defeat was not that long ago, I think he'll bounce back and that a fight will be announced in one or two months, just to give him enough time to recover mentally.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peter Quillin has looked very raw in his ascension which is pretty much par for the course considering he only had a couple years of amateur experience and behind his speed, power and tenAacity there is no well polished skillset and he was very rough around the edges in the Dinisio Miranda fight and badly hurt at times. I don't know what the deal is with him not having a fight since September with nothing scheduled but he has got some good rounds in.

Raul Martinez, Killersheep's guy, was Nonito Donaire's last opponent, he lost in 4.

Abner Mares is still there, he just split with Nacho Bernstein, you would think you would see and hear about someone like Mares a little more then we have in the past year.

Povetkin has looked very good so far and the skepticism has just been about his size and we'll see how he fares against Wlad, should let us know where he stands, if he's a cut above the Sultan and Ruslans of the division.

Anthony Hanshaw was a popular pick after his Showtime 168 tournament bout I'm sure that most people took those picks back after seeing him against Mendy. He gave admirable showings in the Jones and Dirrell bouts but it's clear he's not going to be a champion in a loaded division.

Barry Hunter has big plans for both of the Petersons and is making sure they see everything before moving up but at some point you have to test them. I would have loved to see Lamont fight Kendall Holt like it was talked about that would have springboarded him, instead Holt struggles with D-Hop and loses to Bradley, it wouldn't have been to much for Lamont imo.

Credit to OumaFan for spotting Timothy Bradley as something, I was never impressed with him before the Witter bout and I had seen him around but he has made himself into a champion though I think the question remains on just how good he is.

Reports have Tyrone Brunson being totally exposed in his last outing.

I still haven't given up on Chazz Witherspoon and what he has left will be measured by Carl Davis Drummond next whom I think he has the ability to beat. He performed with great heart in the Arreola fight and you can call me crazy but I think he would have had some more spots of success in that bout if he stuck behind his jab like he did early. Probably not a world beater but definitely not a bum either, I don't think.

Andre Ward is performing pretty much EXACTLY how I expected him to and when his competition grows so will his stature because he has the skills.

Antonio Johnson just lost to the guy I had next on my list of prospects Francisco Santana. Just to much inactivity for Johnson in the ring as he has spent most of the past 3 years in the camps of other fighters as a sparring partner. Santana had a controversial loss to Karim Mayfield in a very good fight and had some time taken away from him when he busted his eardrum training for the fight with Johnson.

Katsidis is always fun to watch but he's no worldbeater.

Juan Manuel Lopez is all there, I can't wait for everyone of his fights.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some other guys mentioned, lots of Andy Lee mentions. He had a terrible time with Brian Vera's right hand and then was in trouble late against Willie Gibbs by way of more right hands. Steward obviously sees something in him like he did Jonathan Banks but it hasn't culminated in any titles for either of them. It's fully possible he could improve enough to take on Pavlik one day and then who knows.

Bautista is mentioned, one member calls him the next Manny Pacquiao in the thread. So that would make him a pretty colossal bust at this point if those were the expectations. I was never particulary impressed with him especially on The World Awaits card.

Olusegun just won last week, still hasn't fought much of anyone.

Victor Oganov was completely outboxed by Andre Dirrell and Oganov's power over speed theory didn't really work out for him. Way one dimensional.

Omar Chavez is mentioned, I've only seen him once but he looked completely unfit to box beyond 2 rounds.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was where El Gamo was the man. Picking Segura to be a mover back in '06...............pretty impressive really.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information