Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juan Manuel Marquez vs Freddie Norwood, No way Juan Manuel Marquez Lost.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Juan Manuel Marquez vs Freddie Norwood, No way Juan Manuel Marquez Lost.

I watched this years ago and all i remembered about it, was that it was a very ugly close fight. And my memory was correct about the ugliness but i forgot somethings.

First off JMM was robbed of 2 knockdowns in his fight, i had no idea what the hell Joe Cortez was doing, and he clearly let Freddie Norwood recover for a few seconds.

All Freddie Norwood did was run and try the occasional left hand, this wasn't that close IMO. JMM clearly won the later rounds and he had atleast won by a few points.

And had the other knockdown been scored. It would of been an even clearer winner, i mean one judge had Freddie Norwood winning 8 rounds what the hell ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez vs Freddie Norwood, No way Juan Manuel Marquez Lost.

I haven't watched the fight (Got a link ?) But no surprises Joe Cortez was a twat even many years ago.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez vs Freddie Norwood, No way Juan Manuel Marquez Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    I haven't watched the fight (Got a link ?) But no surprises Joe Cortez was a twat even many years ago.
    Sent you a link but be warned its an ugly fight, and just try and concentrate on it as much as you can scoring wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    Sent you a link but be warned its an ugly fight, and just try and concentrate on it as much as you can scoring wise.
    Cool thanks I'll watch it tomorrow and let you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marquez lost his chance to complain about this decision becasue he fought so timid. Pretty much the complete opposite of how he fights now. I did think he won this fight but your correct, it was a crappy fight. 2 counter-punchers never make for a great fight.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    Marquez lost his chance to complain about this decision becasue he fought so timid. Pretty much the complete opposite of how he fights now. I did think he won this fight but your correct, it was a crappy fight. 2 counter-punchers never make for a great fight.
    But to be fair Freddie Norwood did try and avoid a fight, as much as possible. Im not saying JMM was fighting like a man possessed either, but atleast he tried to make the fight by coming forward. And JMM was seriously hard done by, with the knockdown IMO.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree 100% - Marquez was trying, Freddy was running. I remember thinking after this fight "why did the Prince avoid this guy for 2 years when he was the #1 contender for the WBO Featherweight title?" He sucks!!! That version of JMM is alot different then the current version that's for sure.

Thanks Mate!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One that got erased a while ago but just checked and scored it 115-111 Marquez. 4th round even.Do remember it being a fugly fight.Sloppy

Cortez blew that call in the 8th.I scored them anyway....screw a blind ref.10-9 8th and 10-8 9th

at the time Jotted down 'Marquez aggresive,could have threw more.Too few body shots.harder hitter Norwood tries to counter mostly.almost timid.actually kd twice.dont think he did enough to keep belt.looks like he cant rise every time good'.......(last line has me wtf'ing ?)

wont repeat what I wrote regarding Floyds fight

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    One that got erased a while ago but just checked and scored it 115-111 Marquez. 4th round even.

Cortez blew that call in the 8th.I scored them anyway....screw a blind ref.10-9 8th and 10-8 9th

at the time Jotted down 'Marquez aggresive,could have threw more.Too few body shots.harder hitter Norwood tries to counter mostly.almost timid.actually kd twice.dont think he did enough to keep belt.looks like he cant rise every time good'.......(last line has me wtf'ing ?)

wont repeat what I wrote regarding Floyds fight
    Thats pretty much spot on Spicoli, and thats how i see it. By the way i've had a result lately, i managed to see Merqui Sosa va Charles Williams 2, Kevin Kelley vs Troy Dorsey, Thomas Tate vs Julian Jackson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another boring as fight.... where Marquez just couldn't do enough to win. This was probably the blueprint for what happens in Marquez / Mayweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said this a while back. I had the house going for Norwood but no way Norwood won that fight. He knew was given a gift. JMM has never been beaten without controversy. Casamayor had the same problem until JMM knocked him out. JMM really is an underappreciated fighter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought JMM just edged it even without the KDs, the guy could very easily argue that he's never been beaten by an opponent in his professional career (his other loss being a DQ). A truly awesome fighter & for me up there with JCC, Finito & Sanchez. To be honest now I would rate him higher than Morales & Barrera.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never seen the fight

But if he did win that fight there is a really strong argument that he is undefeated, as all of these are very questionable losses

Norwood
    John
    Pac

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    But to be fair Freddie Norwood did try and avoid a fight, as much as possible. Im not saying JMM was fighting like a man possessed either, but atleast he tried to make the fight by coming forward. And JMM was seriously hard done by, with the knockdown IMO.

By the way welcome to the forum.
    UNLIKE NASEEM HAMED WHO DIDNT AVOID JMM AT ALL LOL.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What disgusted me the most was Norwood getting credit for the cuff and sweep knockdown? I seriously hated that little $hit for a while after that.

I felt a lot better though after watching Derrick Gainer turn the tables on norwood thier fight though. The deliberate punches to the cup and one while norwood was being latched onto by the ref was absolutely comical.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information