Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So, Deontay Wilder?

I know I know its very early but does he have the look of anything special?

He is actually in shape, about 6'7 215, and even though he didn't start early unlike a lot of these American heavyweights who take up boxing after they end their careers in other sports he's still young, only 22.

He's obviously very tall long reach (84 inches, longer than the Klitschkos, how bizarre is it that Paul Williams has a longer reach than the Klitschkos too?), good athlete, looks like a big right hand. And yes I know he hasn't fought anybody but he looks like a right hand puncher.

But he's raw as hell, for an Olympian he had a ridiculously small amount of amateur fights. Like the people watching FNF talked about I would take him very slow, fight like once a month versus part time fighters for at least another year, year and a half before he steps up even remotely.

Any thoughts?

jon09 Guest

Smile Re: So, Deontay Wilder?

Yeah I would like to see alot more of him soon. Only 23 years old and appears to have enough tools to go far in the heavies. I know its too soon but a Wilder vs Fury could be interesting.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So, Deontay Wilder?

You could see he has been working on his footspeed a lot, which would be a huge advantage over the current batch of heavyweights. Now he needs to work on his punch selection. I am rooting for him and I've been pleased with the progress he's made so far. That killer right hand he has is something special, if he was able to set it up better he'd be a real force.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saw his last fight on ESPN and he looked impressive albeit against the usual suspect opponent for a prospect. Good size and movement and pretty fast hands.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His last opponent was incredibly BAD!!!

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I know I know its very early but does he have the look of anything special?

He is actually in shape, about 6'7 215, and even though he didn't start early unlike a lot of these American heavyweights who take up boxing after they end their careers in other sports he's still young, only 22.

He's obviously very tall long reach (84 inches, longer than the Klitschkos, how bizarre is it that Paul Williams has a longer reach than the Klitschkos too?), good athlete, looks like a big right hand. And yes I know he hasn't fought anybody but he looks like a right hand puncher.

But he's raw as hell, for an Olympian he had a ridiculously small amount of amateur fights. Like the people watching FNF talked about I would take him very slow, fight like once a month versus part time fighters for at least another year, year and a half before he steps up even remotely.

Any thoughts?
    Wilder has real potential, but he needs to be brought along slowly, for sure. From what I've heard, he is extremely coachable, and that's probably why he did well in the Olympics. He did what his coaches told him to do. The down side is that he doesn't seem super creative, but perhaps that's better in the modern HW division. He going to need great coaching of his overall boxing skill. Once he steps it up, he's going to need somebody in his corner like Roach, Steward, or Muhammed who can lay out a game plan for him to follow.

If I were him, I'd try to spend some time as a sparring partner for Wlad and learn everything he can from him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have been sitting here logging the last few weeks of shows and rewatched his last 3 few showcases.Nice size...very thin for 6'7,legs....he does not seem to plant his feet with over hand right.Long punches but falls in.Need to see him catch a few stiff shots.Getting a major push and very visable but should get some off air time and develope....I always try to think of some past early prospects and ask yourself....what were you thinking while they KO'd the early padding fights and how they turned out when it got deep?They should take their time with him.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Have been sitting here logging the last few weeks of shows and rewatched his last 3 few showcases.Nice size...very thin for 6'7,legs....he does not seem to plant his feet with over hand right.Long punches but falls in.Need to see him catch a few stiff shots.Getting a major push and very visable but should get some off air time and develope....I always try to think of some past early prospects and ask yourself....what were you thinking while they KO'd the early padding fights and how they turned out when it got deep?They should take their time with him.
    The curse of being the only US OLympian with a medal, ALL of his fights will be televised.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see him in with a bit tougher opposition. Nothing serious but someone who can at least take one right hand before hitting the deck. I would switch it up a bit. Put him in with every type of oppenent. A slick left hander, a brawler , a boxer. I guess similiar to what Ray Leonard started with.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    The curse of being the only US OLympian with a medal, ALL of his fights will be televised.
    No doubt.Especially as a heavyweight representing the States.I just hope he doesn't go all Michael Grant on us.Have not noticed if he has dropped this annoying habit but in his early go's.....he would do this thing with his right hand after it landed.Sort of slowly 'draw' it up and back in an exaggerated fashion,trying to be showy or something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's too early, i doubt his own camp even knows what to think of this guy yet. so far the guys he's fought he could have saved time and beat them over the phone
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information