Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Showtime to do SMW tournament with Abraham/Kessler/Froch/Taylor/Ward/Dirrell?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Showtime SMW tournament with Abraham/Kessler/Froch/Taylor/Ward/Dirrell

If this comes off, it would be fantastic!!!!!!

Abraham, Froch, Taylor, Kessler in a Showtime Shocker - Boxing News

I have to start thinking about how I think this will go, because there's a lot to think about.
    Last edited by Diane; 07-14-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Showtime to do SMW tournament with Abraham/Kessler/Froch/Taylor/Ward/Dirrell?

Would be interesting.But many circumstances and results that weigh on keeping that schedule.Would like a straight elimination tournament similar to Kings and Showtimes middle tourney some time back.Spr Middle looking stuffed with good matches.Ward solid last outing but Kessler may be asking a bit much of him right now.Have been re thinking Taylor.Cant get passed seeing him once again sprawled out and soon.

one thing strikes me....Pavlik should move up already if he wants to be in the major mix.Whats he going to do,wait around on Williams?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Showtime to do SMW tournament with Abraham/Kessler/Froch/Taylor/Ward/Dirrell?

Dirrell wins it IMO, sounds like a good idea on paper but this is boxing, so we will see how it turns out for real.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will never happen in a million years. If it does, it will be Kessler - Abraham in the final, depending on the bracketing of course. They're the two best fighters IMO. Ward and Dirrell are good, but they're largely untested and would have to fight their way past some really good opponents.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO it should go

Taylor/Ward

Abraham/Kessler

Froch/Dirrell

all 3 sound like good matchups and honestly i think Abraham Vs Kessler would be a classic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever they have to do to get these guys fighting each other, I'm all for it....such a deep division and I don't see alot of big fights being made.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    IMO it should go

Taylor/Ward

Abraham/Kessler

Froch/Dirrell

all 3 sound like good matchups and honestly i think Abraham Vs Kessler would be a classic
    I think it should go according to some kind of playoff style ranking system, ie.:

(1) Kessler
    (2) Froch
    (3) Abraham
    (4) Dirrell
    (5) Ward
    (6) Taylor

(1) Kessler - (6) Taylor
    (2) Froch - (5) Ward
    (3) Abraham - (4) Dirrell

Don't crucify me over where I have the fighters ranked, I didn't give it much thought. I just wanted to get the idea out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I quite like an elimination tournament with this if Bute-Andrade doesn't land on the undercard of PBF-JMM

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    This will never happen in a million years. If it does, it will be Kessler - Abraham in the final, depending on the bracketing of course. They're the two best fighters IMO. Ward and Dirrell are good, but they're largely untested and would have to fight their way past some really good opponents.

I didn't even bother posting this as I knew it was just an article to get people excited about something that has no chance of actually coming off. If a Sauerland was to say to Abraham, "HBO have just offered us mega money to make the Pavlik fight", I guarantee he'd be off out of this tournament like a shot. Its a pipe dream, and it'll never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

168 is a loaded weight class and I'd love to see Showtime really focus on this division... but there's no way this whole thing will come together.

Too many fighters, promoters, managers... you can't get all these people to agree on the same format/dates.

And what makes anyone think that Kessler-Ward could actually happen this November? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see that fight, but Ward just finally stepped up to fight someone of Miranda's class, his handlers aren't going to throw him now with someone as good as Kessler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would be very nice; won't hold my breath on it happening though. Kessler will be 46 before he fights another big name.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    Would be very nice; won't hold my breath on it happening though. Kessler will be 46 before he fights another big name.
    A 46 year old Kessler would still beat Froch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me thinks someone is fishing
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hating on Froch? C'mon CFH, what's all that aboot?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Hating on Froch? C'mon CFH, what's all that aboot?
    I don't hate Froch at all, I'm just still not sold on him. I was impressed that he beat Taylor, I picked him to lose (and maybe if Taylor had some stamina he would have), but a fighter like Kessler is a whole different ball of wax (is that even a saying - ball of wax?).

Froch is a decent, if sloppy, fighter with a solid (if not great) chin and above average power but I think fighters like Kessler, Bute, Andrade, and maybe even Abraham would take him to school in a big way. Ok, maybe Andrade wouldn't take him to school but I think he could out-brawl him.

And I'm afraid being from the west coast I don't have much of a Canadian accent, apparently I sound pretty much like anyone else from the west coast/pacific northwest. DeanRW on the other hand, I bet that fucker sounds like a Newfie .

Thread Information