Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fres Oquendo

I was sitting on the bowl this morning and couldn't help but think damn Fres has alot of close fight's. It got me thinking he was shafted in a couple of fight's but how is it if it is anywhere near close does he always get the shaft. Against Byrd I thought Chris looked horrible and maybe stole some rounds but in my eyes Fres won. The fight with Ruiz yes very boring but close up until Ruiz stunned him in the eleventh and the ref immediately jumps in(a little shady). Holyfield I had him lose by the knockdown point but many seen him beat Holyfield.Last but not least I seen Oquendo easily beat Toney about 8 - 4 IMO. So why is it this guy can not get a fair shake? Is it just bad luck? Or is is something else?Especially if you look at who his promoter is or was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fres Oquendo

I can relate to your sympathy for Oquendo. BUt the world has plenty of heavyweight pitty pat boxers. While Chambers is looking to get away from that monoquer, I think Fres has been content to sit back too much in his fights.

I had Toney down maybe 7-5 in their fight. I think Fres was pumping his jab some, but threw very few meaningful shots. He has pretty good stamina, but I think he always has a little bit left in the tank when he is done.

When it comes down to it.. who would you put him in with?? He keeps trying to sneak away wins and honestly his wins aren't anymore clear than his losses.. He's now one of those "dangerous opponents" that heavyweights are going to avoid. A guy, who, wiht the right judges, could take a win from a contender with a legitimate shot.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree and disagree I don't see him as a pitty pat guy. He is tough and he is rough. Although he may not punch hard he does seem to score well. I can't really remember anyone in the heavies hitting Toney that cleanley. I don't think he is an elite fighter but definetley should belong in the top ten now but isn't because of that B.S. fight with Toney. He outlanded him 3 to 1 and should have won that fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was always a fan of Fres, comes in shape, puts in a good performance and agreed if it is close he gets the short end....

Worst part is he is past his best and not many more opps will be his way for big fights

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a great all-around HS athlete in Chacago. He was an All-city QB in football and an All-city basket ball player if I'm not mistaken. He went to Carl Schurz High which has an enrollment of about 2,500 students.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

El Kabong Guest

Fres is OK by me...sure he's been shafted a couple times but he also hasn't gone out of his way to improve although I think the Toney fight was an obviously better Fres and yes he got the shit end of the stick again.l This has been a theme throughout his career, it started when he was schooling David Tua and then got caught in like the 10th or 11th round after winning every round before that

Thread Information