Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who Ranks Higher All Time, Ricky Hatton or Fernando Vargas

As it stands right now, which of these two ranks higher all time?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Ranks Higher All Time, Ricky Hatton or Fernando Vargas

Hatton.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post

Hatton easily, people are being a tad harsh on Hatton, lets not forget he best the p4p number 3 who had ruled the division for best part of 8 years, and was then himself number 1 fighter in his division for 4 years.

ICB Guest

Ricky Hatton but i felt Fernando Vargas was actually P4P a better fighter, its just his career was rushed and he never quite recovered from the Felix Trinidad fight.

Fernando Vargas showed in his fights with Ike Quartey, Winky Wright, he was elite. Especially in the Ike Quartey fight he is the only fighter, to have ever beaten Ike Quartey convincingly IMO, forgetting Ike Quartey vs Winky Wright because that fight should of never happened, and i thought Fernando Vargas earned a draw against a very good Winky Wright.

He's also the youngest Jr Middleweight champion in history i believe, so he was obviously elite its just a shame he was rushed into a fight with Felix Trinidad. Which he wasn't quite ready for, but mind you i feel he may of stopped Felix Trinidad in the 4th round, had Felix Trinidad not threw a very controversial low blow. That gave him time to recover, but we will never know.
    Last edited by ICB; 07-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.

USAalltheway Guest

I'd go with Vargas. Both have the luxery of saying they only lost to future hall of famers, but Vargas never got completely curb stomped. Hatton's biggest win (Tszyu) is better than Vargas' biggest win (Quartey), but his level of competition was way better than Hatton's and at least he was competitive in his losses (minus the very end of his career).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Ricky Hatton but i felt Fernando Vargas was actually P4P a better fighter, its just his career was rushed and he never quite recovered from the Felix Trinidad fight.

Fernando Vargas showed in his fights with Ike Quartey, Winky Wright, he was elite. Especially in the Ike Quartey fight he is the only fighter, to have ever beaten Ike Quartey convincingly IMO, forgetting Ike Quartey vs Winky Wright because that fight should of never happened, and i thought Fernando Vargas earned a draw against a very good Winky Wright.

He's also the youngest Jr Middleweight champion in history i believe, so he was obviously elite its just a shame he was rushed into a fight with Felix Trinidad. Which he wasn't quite ready for, but mind you i feel he may of stopped Felix Trinidad in the 4th round, had Felix Trinidad not threw a very controversial low blow. That gave him time to recover, but we will never know.
    i have to agree with u ice, hatton has the better record on paper but i feel vargas on his prime was a better pound for pound fighter, i think it comes down to management, maybe hattons career was guided better, vargas was definately up there, he gave a prime de la hoya all he could handle till the stoppage, then uve got winky and quartey.maybe vargas was rushed a little, i still remember the trinindad fight what a fight it was, i have to say this is a different but good thread.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I felt that Vargas had deserved the win over Winky it would be Vargas definitely for me. But I feel Winky won a close but clear decision where I really can't see a win or even a draw for Vargas, that fight is less borderline to me than say Cotto-Clottey or Pacquaio-JMM 2, I could see Clottey and JMM winning, I really can't see Vargas winning.

So as it stands it seems like a bit of a push to me, maybe Hatton slightly ahead.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas. Easily. He was fighting big names in his 14th fight. Took Hatton 39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    If I felt that Vargas had deserved the win over Winky it would be Vargas definitely for me. But I feel Winky won a close but clear decision where I really can't see a win or even a draw for Vargas, that fight is less borderline to me than say Cotto-Clottey or Pacquaio-JMM 2, I could see Clottey and JMM winning, I really can't see Vargas winning.

So as it stands it seems like a bit of a push to me, maybe Hatton slightly ahead.
    I pretty much agree that it's really close which is why I posted this, I kind of agree with everything both sides say so I can't really say one way or the other.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post

I felt Fernando Vargas was behind by a couple of points, going into the 10th round. But then he really stepped up the pace, throwing 90+ punches and just outworking Winky Wright down the stretch to earn a draw.

Fernando Vargas was also very effective to the body, and im not using the punchstats as my argument, but the punchstats were pretty even aswell it was a very close fight.

I don't think thats a good reason to put Fernando Vargas down, because consider it this way. P4P how would Ricky Hatton have done against Winky Wright, Ike Quartey, ODLH, ETC ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    that says it all about vargas and his downfall vd

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think I'm knocking him for that, I'm just saying that would have put him clearly over the top. And I just can't see a draw or a win, and I saw it 3 or 4 times. Not in a while but I have no intention of watching it again.

You could turn that P4P argument around too though, Vargas isn't doing well against Floyd or Pacquaio either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough one, Hatton will no doubt be above Vargas in many peoples minds but Vargas fought some of the best fighters in recent years and as mentioned never got totally battered at world level he made for some cracking competitive fights.

I would have to say Vargas even though he was rushed and ruined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

LOL!!

I would lean towards Vargas.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm thinking about going with Vargas too. LOL that was quick. I don't know, I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it. Its not a clear decision either way, they're pretty close.

Thread Information