Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Controls? What Are Controls?

I see on many boxrec fight pages nowadays they have numbers for "controls" in many of the fight descriptions. Would someone like to explain to me what they are? My early judgement is that I don't like them but I'll wait until I learn what they are before I settle on something.

Controls? Anyone?

Though he led in controls 126 to 98, they were piled up early, and then he declined due to Margarito's unrelenting body attack in rounds eight through ten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Controls? What Are Controls?

Has Sarbanes Oxley spread to boxing What is the world coming to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump, anyone have an answer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maybe he had control during 126-98 seconds in the round? just guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am very interested to see what this means as well.. Sounds like someone to clever for their own good over complicating something.... As you see occassionaly in odd places..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erik_corrales View Post
    maybe he had control during 126-98 seconds in the round? just guessing.
    126 + 98 = 224

1 round = 180 seconds

I will make it my mission today to find out.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure what everyone is speaking about?....Where are these at? I tried to look but not sudre where I am looking nor exactly what so before I can add input I need find out or see first....Hopefully I will have something worthy to add later

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    I am not sure what everyone is speaking about?....Where are these at? I tried to look but not sudre where I am looking nor exactly what so before I can add input I need find out or see first....Hopefully I will have something worthy to add later
    Here's an example,

Carl Froch vs. Andre Dirrell - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia

It comes under the heading "Data Boxing Stats"
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Found this article that kind of explains what controls are.

"Data Boxing is considered by many to be the most accurate and most detailed boxing simulation ever created. The game designer, Dr. Julian Compton, tirelessly researches each fighter, and creates a boxer’s cards using actual data and statistics, rather than an arbitrary rating system. Each boxer card in Data Boxing has upwards of 150 variables all of which are based upon actual fight data for ever boxer rated. Dr. Compton has designed a data gathering procedure that is unlike anything else in the boxing world. For each and every fight, he counts lefts and rights to the head and body, for landed punches and misses. He also notes whether the blows were offensive in nature or defensive. But, that’s not all. He also counts and scores ALL controls, spits, insults and anything else that may happen in a bout. That data is then compiled and used in creating the boxer cards for Data Boxing. When you have a Data Boxing “card”, you can be assured that it contains more detail and accuracy than any other game on the market."

Data Boxing Now Offered by Downey Games :: tabletop-sports.com :: Where rolling the dice is King!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Found this article that kind of explains what controls are.

"Data Boxing is considered by many to be the most accurate and most detailed boxing simulation ever created. The game designer, Dr. Julian Compton, tirelessly researches each fighter, and creates a boxer’s cards using actual data and statistics, rather than an arbitrary rating system. Each boxer card in Data Boxing has upwards of 150 variables all of which are based upon actual fight data for ever boxer rated. Dr. Compton has designed a data gathering procedure that is unlike anything else in the boxing world. For each and every fight, he counts lefts and rights to the head and body, for landed punches and misses. He also notes whether the blows were offensive in nature or defensive. But, that’s not all. He also counts and scores ALL controls, spits, insults and anything else that may happen in a bout. That data is then compiled and used in creating the boxer cards for Data Boxing. When you have a Data Boxing “card”, you can be assured that it contains more detail and accuracy than any other game on the market."

Data Boxing Now Offered by Downey Games :: tabletop-sports.com :: Where rolling the dice is King!

Sounds like the start of the new Rocky movie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

126 + 98 = 224

1 round = 180 seconds

i meant 98-126 seconds into the bell. either way, i'm not making sense

you research kind of explains it though. it meant "controls" in a scientific/experimental context. good job!

its still confusing though...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erik_corrales View Post
    126 + 98 = 224

1 round = 180 seconds

i meant 98-126 seconds into the bell. either way, i'm not making sense

you research kind of explains it though. it meant "controls" in a scientific/experimental context. good job!

its still confusing though...
    Yeah I don't get how it fully works, or who's doing it. Nor do I see where this data is collected in a single place, other than it seems to be only referenced on boxrec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I don't get how it fully works, or who's doing it. Nor do I see where this data is collected in a single place, other than it seems to be only referenced on boxrec.
    all i understand is that its purely based on statistics and records. i guess its run through a program that runs each scenario and simulates the fights.

just like one poster said it was like rocky. or ali vs. marciano computer fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Controls describes a new group of things that are measured in fights...

Eg, "Punches" can be an overall total of 700. Then it can be divided up into how many landed, whether they were left's or rights, hooks, jabs etc.

"Controls" are actions that occur during the round by the fighters... A clinch is a control action, circling is a control, moving in for a close attack is a control (in addition to the actual punches), etc etc...
    Cutting off the ring might be a control, pressing an opponent into a corner may be a control...

So they give a total of all of these things that have happened in a round or in a fight, then they'll probably give a break down of some of the more standout controls, like Ruiz clinching, or Mayweather probably has a lot of "retreating/circling" controls in his fight. And Zab would have a bunch of "Complained to the ref" controls.

Now all I need is someone to come in with an official article that ACTUALLY describes what controls mean, and i'll look like a moron,,,,, but i'm pretty sure i've got it right..

It's just a way of turning more of the fight into data over the usual punch stats...
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Thread Information