Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I want to get into amateur boxing. Please advice

Well, I was thinking about joining a boxing gym to start practicing amateur boxing as a sport, as a hobby and as a mean of self defence. But there are some things that are holding me back:

I´m 20. I´m a skinny guy who doesn´t really have any "real" fighting experience. Also I don´t have a good physical condition. I can´t run more than 1km without taking a break or at least slowing the pace. Also my punches are weak :S. (well those are the reasons why I wanted to practice a sport (boxing) actually)

I wear braces, and I´m afraid to get my teeth ruined by receiving too many punches. How often does that happen?
    Also I don´t want to have a crooked nose because of boxing. but again, is that going to happen?

I really don´t know if tthat´s going to happen but it worries me a bit. (yeah I know I sound like a whimp xD)

The thing is I want to practice a sport to have a healthier life. I like boxing because it can help me defend myself as well (and thus being more manly, I suppose xD)

So, I was hoping some of you guys could help me clear these inquiries.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I want to get into amateur boxing. Please advice

Quote Originally Posted by 56ker View Post
    Well, I was thinking about joining a boxing gym to start practicing amateur boxing as a sport, as a hobby and as a mean of self defence. But there are some things that are holding me back:

I´m 20. I´m a skinny guy who doesn´t really have any "real" fighting experience. Also I don´t have a good physical condition. I can´t run more than 1km without taking a break or at least slowing the pace. Also my punches are weak :S. (well those are the reasons why I wanted to practice a sport (boxing) actually)

I wear braces, and I´m afraid to get my teeth ruined by receiving too many punches. How often does that happen?
    Also I don´t want to have a crooked nose because of boxing. but again, is that going to happen?

I really don´t know if tthat´s going to happen but it worries me a bit. (yeah I know I sound like a whimp xD)

The thing is I want to practice a sport to have a healthier life. I like boxing because it can help me defend myself as well (and thus being more manly, I suppose xD)

Where do you live?
    Balls

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people get into boxing for strictly the conditioning. This is usually what you'll be doing for the first several months, along with learning some of the basics. Stance, bit of technique.

So I wouldn't worry so much. But also, make sure you speak with any club you might join, and let them know your goals to see if their routine can match those. After a few months, you will likely know for yourself how far you want to go, as in, further towards sparring, to maybe lead towards something competitive, or to keep it strictly for conditioning and basic knowledge.

If you do ever decide to spar somewhere down the line, they have gumshields designed for braces. As far as noses go, well, there are no guarantees there, it is a risk, but so long as it isn't crazy sparring you should be okay.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having no fighting experience is a good thing, take it from someone who's had a lot, it does you no good. What boxing will give you is the discipline to know that you don't need to fight. One thing not to be is afraid of getting hit, my nose has been broken twice in 2 different places, yet to look at it you wouldn't think so & you can always get it sorted on NHS.

Don't worry about your punches, technique will bring that along, a good punch is at least as much the technique as the raw power & not being a big guy you are more likely to hone the technique than someone with natural big power. The braces is an issue, I'm not sure how to deal with that, I know my gym doesn't let people box with contact lenses in, there might be something similar to braces. Even then you don't have to spar. If you just want to get fit, find a gym head down & do the fitness & work on the bags & speedball etc to deal with your technique. If you've never boxed before there's no way you will be having actual amateur fights for a while.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to learn to box to protect yourself? Do you have problems with people starting on you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Porkypara:

I live in Costa Rica

@JazMerkin:

Well, it's not like someone is bullying me, but more like I sometimes feel a bit insecure when I´m walking on the streets (I was robbed for the first time in my life like a month ago). But again my main reason to start boxing is to practice a sport and to be healthier :)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Porkypara:

I live in Costa Rica

@JazMerkin:

Well, it's not like someone is bullying me, but more like I sometimes feel a bit insecure when I´m walking on the streets (I was robbed for the first time in my life like a month ago). But again my main reason to start boxing is to practice a sport and to be healthier
    Well, I don't know what things are like in Costa Rica, but if that insecurity is about getting robbed, then it won't help. I've had people try to rob me, & although being able to fight meant they never got my wallet, its resulted in me being stabbed, so despite the fact I didn't stick to it myself, I can only say its better to lose money & possessions than your life.

But as a sport it is great to practice, & you're unlikely to find ANY sport that makes you more physically fit than boxing. It will give you that confidence you want, however, I would still not recommend trying to use your boxing to get out of being robbed unless its one guy & you know for certain he doesn't have a weapon. To be honest, the moment when you first really know if boxing is for you is the first time you get cracked in the nose, so you will know where you want to go from there then. I would definitely recommend taking it up though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck with that man,hopefully you find a gym.Im pretty much in the same boat but theres no gym around my area.So am waiting for next year to move to a town which does have.What im doing now is losing weight till next year,cause im a fatty.Sorry im babbling on but I just have to say.Been wanting to be a fighter since I was around 11 or 12.Just something about competing with your fellow man with your own tools thats appealing to me.Eventually it led to boxing.I even dropped out of school 3 years ago to persue my dream,if I can call it that.Everyone told me I was stupid for dropping out,it probably was,but I dont care.When you love and care for this sport you dont give a dam what they say.

When youre out there boxing its just a feeling that is awesome.Its the ultimate form of competiton.Just you,your brain and two fists as you use all that hard training you did for weeks to try and win.I just cant put it into words the greatness that is boxing.For me,its the ultimate sport and I hope that I can get there on a pro level.19 now so better start working.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't take up the sport myself. I was a Amateur boxer in the Army. It's alot of hard work and eating right. You'll find there are guy who would be more than happy to take your head off. If this is something you want to do, I say make sure you wear your headgear and mouth peice at all times. remember boxing is a art. It doesn't matter how fast or strong you are. If you know more than the other guy you'll win. I blaim alot of things that are wrong with me today with the 4 years I spent as a boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you all for the advice

I'm going to visit a boxing gym this week (probably wednesday) and now I´m seriously thinking about enrolling. All your comments helped me decide. Thanks :)

Thread Information