Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question Partial Rep Shadow Boxing

Have you ever noticed that when you shorten your punches, your combinations seem much quicker? It's not uncommon to see some guys using only 2/3's or half of their reach while shadowboxing, perhaps they do it for the same reason that it makes their movements feel faster.

Shadowboxing is typically reserved for techniques and tactics work, but for focusing on speed would it be more beneficial to work within a shorter range of motion? This is taking from the concept of overspeed training. The theory is that with repetition, the neuromuscular system will adapt to these quicker movements and your punches in general will become faster. Note, the technique of the punches remains the same with the only difference being the distance in which your arms are extended. This mode of training can be used in conjunction with elastic bands, and can be applied to shadowboxing as well as bag-work.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Partial Rep Shadow Boxing

Interesting topic Chris only just seen the thread. We are told the 1st 3" of any movement relates to the Technique and Speed of the whole, as the practice of Bit Part Whole thing that we came across in the 60s. I think we have moved on a bit from then. Been playing around with a few things over the years, keep coming back to two things for speed as regards reflex action. They are Elbows and Heels wonderfull receptors of Feel .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's interesting, Scrap. What kind of plyometrics would you have your fighters do for their elbows?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doing a bit of Apperatus for it so its secret

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've actually noticed this too Chris, so I'm glad to see a topic on the query.

I would have thought that practising the punch motion in full would provide better muscle memory, which over time would translate to a more fluid, natural punch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Doing a bit of Apperatus for it so its secret
    Is there any exercises that can be done that don't need much kit? Bythe way, have you ever had your guys do press ups while using elastic cords? I'm thinking that could provide more resistance for any plyometric work. You've also mentioned before that it would be helpful to cover your dominant eye, or do the exercises blindfolded as to prevent the eyes from hindering the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    I've actually noticed this too Chris, so I'm glad to see a topic on the query.

I would have thought that practising the punch motion in full would provide better muscle memory, which over time would translate to a more fluid, natural punch.
    I thought about that too. I still think you need to practice your punches realistically like how you'd throw them in the ring (i.e. throwing them full r.o.m), but Scrap just brought up an interesting point as in that technique and speed is within the first 3". It's interesting subject that's worth looking into.

Perhaps on drills that emphasize speed it would be more beneficial to work within a limited range of motion, perhaps this would apply to certain plyometric exercises as well.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a Little number . Fit Balls again, Get 2 its one way . Get two against the wall with alittle bit of air out Fist both in the centres in a Boxing stance. Start punching the Balls, but dont lose contact with them, youre going as fast as you can with control. Moving the 3 to 4 inch it needs, you will tire qiuckly . when you have done that turn round and put your elbows against the Balls and use them against the Balls for short ressistance it works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Heres a Little number . Fit Balls again, Get 2 its one way . Get two against the wall with alittle bit of air out Fist both in the centres in a Boxing stance. Start punching the Balls, but dont lose contact with them, youre going as fast as you can with control. Moving the 3 to 4 inch it needs, you will tire qiuckly . when you have done that turn round and put your elbows against the Balls and use them against the Balls for short ressistance it works.
    Thanks Scrap, I gotta try that out. Anyways, not to repeat what you said, I just want to go over it again and make sure I got this right. To start, you're standing infront of the wall in your boxing stance, with both fists pressing on the center of the fit balls which is at about shoulder level/height. Then just punch back and and forth into the fit-balls, left, right, left, right as quick and as controlled as possible making sure to drive your fists in for about 3". That sound about right? It sounds like a good hard exercise. I'll just need to pick up another fit ball before I can try it out.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The one with your Back to the wall is harder really works the Shoulders

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And posture, youre on your back Knee

Thread Information