Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default could steve collins punch?

I know when he fought Mike McCallumn it was believed that he could not punch. However, he would go on to be only the fourth man to put down Chris Eubank. While watching him fight the likes of Eubank and Benn, he seemed to really put leverage into his punches.

So what is the concensus? Could steve the celtic warrior collins punch?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: could steve collins punch?

No, I wouldnt call him a big puncher.

What a lot of people forget about Eubank and Collins is how Chris nearly had him out of there, he smashed Steve in to the ropes, infact he was holding himself up with the ropes then Chris just stands back for 10 seconds and then the bell goes, Chris could have had him out of there, just like he could have with Thompson

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, Collins was just fit and durable and strong , not a puncher.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stander View Post
    I know when he fought Mike McCallumn it was believed that he could not punch. However, he would go on to be only the fourth man to put down Chris Eubank. While watching him fight the likes of Eubank and Benn, he seemed to really put leverage into his punches.

Collins punching was all cumulative, he used to swarm fighters. But you are right about Eubank, he did drop Eubank and Eubank had a solid chin (not sure which 3 fighters dropped him before Collins? I only remember Watson dropping him at that stage)
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.... I guess you meant 4th man to drop Eubank during his career and I read it wrong.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collins was not a Puncher.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stander View Post

Collins punching was all cumulative, he used to swarm fighters. But you are right about Eubank, he did drop Eubank and Eubank had a solid chin (not sure which 3 fighters dropped him before Collins? I only remember Watson dropping him at that stage)
    Steve Collins actually dropped Chris Eubank, with a body shot if i remember rightly. And Nigel Benn knocked Chris Eubank down aswell, but that was more of a slip.

I agree with pretty much everyone else, he was no puncher. And all of his stoppage wins came from accumulation of punishment. As for Chris Eubank i agree he did have both Steve Collins, Carl Thompson, out on there feet.

And a prime Chris Eubank before his fight with Michael Watson, would of finished them both right there and then. I believe he actually had atleast 2 or 3 chances to finish off Carl Thompson, and does anyone remember when Chris Eubank had Henry Wharton in trouble. He was asking the ref to stop it if i remember rightly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collins didn't drop Eubank, he tripped over as he was moving backwards, he glanced his chest at best.. obviously it was counted though
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-31-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Collins didn't drop Eubank, he tripped over as he was moving backwards, Collins glanced his chest at best.. obviously it was counted though
    Yea it was obviously a balance issue, but i still remember Steve Collins landing a solid right hand to the body.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Collins didn't drop Eubank, he tripped over as he was moving backwards, Collins glanced his chest at best.. obviously it was counted though
    Yea it was obviously a balance issue, but i still remember Steve Collins landing a solid right hand to the body.
    I don't think it was a solid shot.. is it on youtube?

ICB Guest

I don't think it was solid shot.. it is on youtube?
    Its on this clip at 2:23 mark, from that angle it only looks like a glancing blow. But im sure when i had this fight, the replay showed it landing more solidly than that angle suggests. But maybe im thinking of another fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0EBzBsrstk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

What a lot of people forget about Eubank and Collins is how Chris nearly had him out of there, he smashed Steve in to the ropes, infact he was holding himself up with the ropes then Chris just stands back for 10 seconds and then the bell goes, Chris could have had him out of there, just like he could have with Thompson

Such a shame people dont manage to have those endless list of great fights from the 90s

Only benn/eubank fights around on the net are the 2 they had with eachother. Collins-Eubank was the feud to end all feuds!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Such a shame people dont manage to have those endless list of great fights from the 90s

Only benn/eubank fights around on the net are the 2 they had with eachother. Collins-Eubank was the feud to end all feuds!!
    I had all those fights, but i had to delete them. Such a shame Chris Eubank vs Carl Thompson 1 was a candidate for FOTY, and one of the best Cruiserweight fights of all time.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it was solid shot.. it is on youtube?
    Its on this clip at 2:23 mark, from that angle it only looks like a glancing blow. But im sure when i had this fight, the replay showed it landing more solidly than that angle suggests. But maybe im thinking of another fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0EBzBsrstk
    Doesn't even look like he touched him. Definitely a nothing knockdown.

Eubank is surprised when the ref starts counting - "slip, slip"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh you're right, didn't even touch him

Thread Information