Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavyweight Roy Jones Vs Heavyweight James Toney

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

But you clearly haven't seen James Toney vs Merqui Sosa. Because you wouldn't be saying, it was anywhere close to a MD. James Toney won the first 6 rounds easy as pie, he took a few rounds off and he maybe lost 3 rounds at most. Then he started using his jab and he controlled the fight again, infact i'll put this fight on here. And i'll make a thread about it, and lets see if anyone thinks it was close.

And again you clearly haven't seen both Montel Griffin fights, and your just basing it off looking at the scorecards. The first fight was close but many people thought James Toney just nicked it, and as i said RJJ was having all sorts out problems with Montel Griffin. Until he finally caught up with him. No real different to James Toney, except RJJ managed to catch up to him eventually.

In the rematch both men beat him comfortably, yes RJJ done it more convincingly with an impressive 1st round KO. But points wise James Toney easily won atleast 7-4-1 or 8-4. The commentators were calling BS, and so was i it was a clear robbery. And anyone who has seen the fight knows it is.

And again your basing this off two much at happened at 168, firstly James Toney was a weight-drained mess. And he has often had weight problems and looked terrible. We are on about a healthy James Toney, and we are on about at Heavyweight. A 193 pounds RJJ vs 217 pounds James Toney.

And you honestly don't think a 100 percent James Toney, wouldn't have a good chance at KO'ing RJJ ?
    Okay then we're talking about the roy that fought ruiz, before he was knocked out? Then roy would do the same thing to toney that he did to him at 168. what I'm trying to figure out is how someone can say toney would kayo jones when at that point he'd never been near a kayo? Toney would have been a stationary target for jones at HW.
    Sorry bro but im not getting through to you am i ? forget the fight they had at 168. Because that was James Toney at his worse, RJJ had some pretty horrible performances himself like against Eric Harding. Lets erase that because we are talking about, both men at there best.

Now the James Toney that fought Evander Holyfield, where he was 217 pounds. And RJJ was 193 pounds against John Ruiz. Now im not saying RJJ couldn't win a decision.

All im saying is think about the weight difference, and think about RJJ taking a punch off James Toney. John Ruiz landed only one real punch against RJJ, and John Ruiz is a paper champion. That tells us really nothing about RJJ at Heavyweight.

Lastly RJJ wasn't even legitmately a Heavyweight, James Toney at his best was a good as he was at Cruiserweight. He had the chin, the defense, the workrate, and enough power to KO RJJ. Plus he has a big weight advantage. I know John Ruiz did aswell, but this is John Ruiz were on about not James Toney who is leagues above John Ruiz, even at Heavyweight.
    Toney's weight wouldn't have mattered against Jones. The only person Toney stopped at heavyweight was an old and very past it Evander Holyfield who as I said Larry Donald even looked spectacular against. I think that Holyfield fight majorly overrates Toney at Heavyweight. The Ruiz fight I agree on. But seriously if you had put Roy in there with Holyfield then he'd have done the same thing and probably worse.

James didn't have the power to stop Jones nor would Roy have put himself in that position. If James was gonna knockout Jones he'd have had to chase him. Let's not neglect Roy's power at Heavyweight either. Roy had Ruiz on queer street, James stepped on his foot to knock him down and even then Ruiz wasn't hurt. Roy had Ruiz LEGIT hurt and on wobbly legs in his first heavyweight fight. Toney's biggest advantages at heavyweight were that he was fighting methodical heavyweights that played right into his hands. He would have stuggled when he got to Jones because Jones would have been the first fighter in a long time that was actually faster then him and just as good a counter puncher. James Toney can beat a guy all day that comes at them with a blind fury but Roy would have pot shot him and James would have had to come forward, Roy had power at heavyweight too and if they are both at their best it means Roy's legs wouldn't have been shot like they were when he went down to 175, without his legs and his body being shot I don't see how Toney would have knocked him out and let's not forget the first heavyweight to actually use a jab against James beat him sadly that was Sam Peter in the second fight and I don't know if we can include that fight. But Roy at Heavyweight used his jab more then he did in his career and it was a great jab as well that would have caused Toney issues as well. The only chance Toney really had to beat Jones at heavyweight was knocking him out and I just don't see that happening
    Last edited by Majesty; 08-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information