Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Mechanics of the Jab

What moves the left shoulder is the right shoulder simple Biomechanics. If you pull the left shoulder back when throwing the right it does 2 things. 1st it keeps stability on the back foot, 2 the hook that follows has better Technique, through balance. The muscles in the arm and shoulder have had bad practice, if you keep working at it, it will come right. It feels strange at 1st, the joint has bad habits.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap i was wondering exactly how you determine what shouler width apart is,I mean do we walk,run,or jump with our feet shoulder width apart or would that be narrower? I think i have quite broad shoulders for my size would that make a difference or is it just more as a guide not to be taken literally?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The width is your walking Gait, thats your natural Balance. Comes back to Feel, and natural movement.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks scrap i must say these tips have helped me to no end, helps me touch my chin with my straights i feel more snappier with my straights through not reaching quite as much, i was wondering today when i throw the left hook after the 1-2 would i take a small step with my right foot forward and to the right to distribute the weight back to my right leg as i throw the left hook? or do i just simply plant my right foot where it is and throw the left hook while lifting the heel of my lead foot off the ground? it seems my form has had so much room to improve for so long and i dont want to dordle about it i wanna get started on it right away.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A little tip, Throwing a jab then cross on a bag will make it move foeward and put the Hook out of range. This cofuses a beginner with distance, making them reach with the Hook. A simple way is throw a double jab stay where you are, then meet it with the combo on the way back. It will give you the Feel and balance you reqiure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it correct that the jab should come to the left hand side of the centre line but not cross it and the right cross comes past centre?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In line with your Bollocks both of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    A little tip, Throwing a jab then cross on a bag will make it move foeward and put the Hook out of range. This cofuses a beginner with distance, making them reach with the Hook. A simple way is throw a double jab stay where you are, then meet it with the combo on the way back. It will give you the Feel and balance you reqiure.
    Just the reply i was looking for thanks scrap ill start doing that tomorrow, my straights are getting there now, felt wierd at first but im getting used to jabbing differently now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are we talking both bollocks or both jab/cross

Seriously though i always thought that the jab didnt come as far across as that.Like i said before i always tried to imagine my jab running down the left hand side of centre axis but not past it.
    There seems to be a fine line there,to far across or right with it and you loose length,But too far wide or left with it and it gives the right hand to much ground to cover and exposes you down the middle.
    Last edited by cocobeware; 12-21-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No length is lost or balance, its all to do where the back foot is for flexabilty of movement, being able to turn it in balance with the Body. Also the Head being where it should be so the Ears and big Toes can understand the message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see, So straight down the centre with the jab,So as long as i pivot the back foot and the heel is in alingment.
    I guess it's kind of like when the trainer holds the pads and youre coming across youre own body ie: my left to his left.It teaches you to pivot properly on the back foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know it's splitting heirs here but with which knuckles,The two big knuckles index and middle finger?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends what the shot is and where its going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry but im still not really getting this jabbing to the centre thing.It feels funny to me when i come to far across to my right with it.
    Should it just be my thumb or inside of my left glove that comes to centre?
    Most coaches just seem to say that youre shoulder comes up to protect youre chin without really getting into where it should be landing in relation to centre.
    If i stand in front of the mirror should it be like jabbing to my own chin?
    I know im probably over thinking this whole thing but it seems to me like it would be important.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feet a bit wide but didnt reach, if He had been standing the Hook would have got Him. Plus He gave his back foot a view by moving His front foothttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqH03LtRLJs

Thread Information