Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Saddoboxing Presents: Prediction Contest Nine (AUG14 - DEC20)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saddoboxing Presents: Prediction Contest Nine (AUG14 - DEC20)

Final Week Results

Guerrero TKO4
    Valero TKO6
    Pavlik TKO5
    Martirrosyan TKO3
    Soto UD
    Cermeno KO11

Galaxy 49
    Gest 49
    JakeAMeyers 47
    Basher 46
    JazMerkin 46
    Nameless 46
    FatSandman 43
    RyanMan 43
    Comegalletas 39
    SuperHeavyRhun 39
    Miron-Lang 37
    BoxingGorilla 36
    CFH 36
    Chip 36
    KKisser 36
    TigerFan 36
    ViolentDemise 35
    Z Bolt 30
    FightFan 29
    IWNG 28
    CPSS 27
    Fenster 25
    Otley 25
    Starlet 25
    OumaFan 22
    Last edited by BoxingGorilla; 12-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well thats it then. I had 2 decent weeks to finish. I could have been up there other than for missing weeks etc. Next time...

Anyway thanks BG for all the work. My first time taking part, really enjoyed it.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Saddoboxing Presents: Prediction Contest Nine (AUG14 - DEC20)

Hi BG
    Great league mate!

Sorry to question your scoring on the last week but in last weeks leaderboard I was 6 points behind Comegal (he was on 531 and I was on 525).

This week I scored 46 and comegal scored 39 which should make me the winner by 1 point.

Am I right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatsandman View Post
    Hi BG
    Great league mate!

Sorry to question your scoring on the last week but in last weeks leaderboard I was 6 points behind Comegal (he was on 531 and I was on 525).

This week I scored 46 and comegal scored 39 which should make me the winner by 1 point.

Am I right?

You had 43 points. Not sure why I had you down as 46 on the weekly list. You actually added up your score and got 46, like I mistakingly did? Madness.

Anyway, I sent your picks to Saddo and CutMeMick for verification. I sent Comegalletas-sis-is as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, sorry BG. I was just going from the weekly points above. Just added it up myself and got 43 too.

Well done Comegalletas! Amazing player!!

See you next league.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just want to thank everyone for making their picks every week. I know it's hard enough to remember, let alone be at the mercy of the technology gods.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla View Post
    I just want to thank everyone for making their picks every week. I know it's hard enough to remember, let alone be at the mercy of the technology gods.
    It was my first participation and I quite enjoyed it, thanks Gorilla.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Congratulations Comegalletas, hard luck fatsandman, another good season.... I'm aiming for top 5 in the new year!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Saddoboxing Presents: Prediction Contest Nine (AUG14 - DEC20)

Thanks for the congratulations. This was my first season here, and it was a great ride. My hat off to FatSandman, who came really close to win.

To present myself, I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I enjoy a lot watching boxing, but many of you know far more than me. In the other hand, I have a deep statistical background, having adapted the Elo rating system used in chess to other sports.

This year I started playing in a similar contest to this one, "Gurus del Boxeo". In the last two seasons I have won handily, so I came here to test me against a thougher opposition. I was pretty confident that I would end winning, but after seeing the high level here, I guess my chances to repeat the championship are no higher than 40%.

About the contest format, I really like the joker pick. It makes each week more variable, but in the long run the better players come ahead.

On the other hand, I find the "post your picks" system clumsy. It is a grind for the admin (Kudos, BG!), and it is prone to mistakes. During this season twice I got more points than the correct number, and had to contact BG to fix it. In Gurus we have an automated system, it is much better. I guess Saddoboxing should write its own script. If the problem is money, I would be happy to donate my prize to start the work.

I have collected all my picks and FatSandman's in a spreadsheet, to be sure that the totals are right. And indeed, the final difference is 2 points. You can see it at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...yb2N3c0E&hl=es

(I do not have the last week picks by FatSandman, but he confirmed his total as 43).

I played well, but in the first months I was too "UD" happy. It costed me a few points, and I had to adjust the model. FatSandman a few times picked specific KO rounds, which I see as a losing proposition. He lost 9 points that way; had he picked simply "KO", he would be the winner now.

Thanks again for this great tournament. I have a few rules suggestions for the next season, I will post them in a later post. For now, it is time to celebrate

See you next season

Comegalletas.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Comegalletas View Post
    Thanks for the congratulations. This was my first season here, and it was a great ride. My hat off to FatSandman, who came really close to win.

To present myself, I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I enjoy a lot watching boxing, but many of you know far more than me. In the other hand, I have a deep statistical background, having adapted the Elo rating system used in chess to other sports.

This year I started playing in a similar contest to this one, "Gurus del Boxeo". In the last two seasons I have won handily, so I came here to test me against a thougher opposition. I was pretty confident that I would end winning, but after seeing the high level here, I guess my chances to repeat the championship are no higher than 40%.

About the contest format, I really like the joker pick. It makes each week more variable, but in the long run the better players come ahead.

On the other hand, I find the "post your picks" system clumsy. It is a grind for the admin (Kudos, BG!), and it is prone to mistakes. During this season twice I got more points than the correct number, and had to contact BG to fix it. In Gurus we have an automated system, it is much better. I guess Saddoboxing should write its own script. If the problem is money, I would be happy to donate my prize to start the work.

I have collected all my picks and FatSandman's in a spreadsheet, to be sure that the totals are right. And indeed, the final difference is 2 points. You can see it at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...yb2N3c0E&hl=es

(I do not have the last week picks by FatSandman, but he confirmed his total as 43).

I played well, but in the first months I was too "UD" happy. It costed me a few points, and I had to adjust the model. FatSandman a few times picked specific KO rounds, which I see as a losing proposition. He lost 9 points that way; had he picked simply "KO", he would be the winner now.

Thanks again for this great tournament. I have a few rules suggestions for the next season, I will post them in a later post. For now, it is time to celebrate

See you next season

Comegalletas.
    Congrats on the win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whoever one well done and i am happy first time and just under 500 pts and i missed a week and many thanks for taking the time to sort it all out
    think happy thoughts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After my first season in Saddoboxing Prediction Contest, I have a few suggestions:

A.- Things that just need to be documented in the rules:

1.- Technical Decisions. A TD is also considered a UD (or MD, SD)? I guess it should, but it is not currently stipulated one way or the other by the rules.

2.- No Contest. Which is the time limit to allow for a NC? The fight night decision stands, or there is a time window to change it? Most after-fight NC are for doping tests, but there are others that could took several weeks, as Bradley - Campbell. Any reasonable rule is OK (night result stands, two days, one week, the duration of the season); but it has to be clearly stipulated. Also, what happens with the joker in NC fights? 3 points sounds fair.

3.- The "Points" result. Sometimes there are only one judge in UK fights, so the decision cannot be graded UD, SD, MD. In such cases, I guess the correct procedure is to convert any UD, MD and SD prediction into Pts, earning 6 points.

4.- Final tie. What happens if two players finish the season with the same points? I guess an extra week should be used to break the tie between them. Again, it would be good to have it documented.

5.- Drawn fights. Currently the rule states: "Should your fighter of choice go down in flames no points you will be awarded.". It ought to say "Should your fighter of choice draws or go down in flames no points you will be awarded.".

All these points are fairly easy to implement, as they does not change the contest as it is currently run.

B.- More significant changes:

1.- Point weighting. Currently the points assigned to differen choices are skewed to the conservative side. The vanilla "Pts" and "KO/TKO" are most often the best value at 6 points each. The only risky proposition that is fair value is UD at 8 points. SD, MD, TD, DQ and Draw are losing propositions. The same goes for KO; picking a round is usually a bad bet. Maybe they should get more points, but it has to be carefully designed. The other thing that sounds bad is "If you just type the name of the winning fighter you will score 1 point"; it should be at least 3 points.

2.- Script: I think that a script would make easier and less error prone the administration of the contest. Saddo looked at it, and said he prefers the forum method, as it is more presonal. That is OK, I hope we have a BoxingGorilla for many seasons

Regards,

Comegalletas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Saddoboxing Presents: Prediction Contest Nine (AUG14 - DEC20)

SD, MD, TD, DQ and Draw are losing propositions.
    If it wasn't for the two Split Decisions I picked in the final week of league 7 I wouldn't have won. SD isn't always a losing proposition ;-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatsandman View Post
    SD, MD, TD, DQ and Draw are losing propositions.
    If it wasn't for the two Split Decisions I picked in the final week of league 7 I wouldn't have won. SD isn't always a losing proposition ;-)
    Of course, any proposition has to be evaluated with its odds. If you bet Pacquiao to beat Mayweather laying 2 to 1, it is a bad bet. Even if it ends winning, the odds are against you, and in the long run such bets will cost you.

The same happens with MD and SD predictions. SD gets 10 points; any Pts give 6. So, if you fail with the SD label, you lose 3 points, if you get it right, it rewards you 4 points. So, you need a 3/7 possibility of a SD, or 42.8% to break even. In my view, not any fight can have such a high possibility of a decision being split. My estimation is about 25%, maybe even less.

Of course, in the last week of a season the game has a different dynamic. Then, you can gamble to have a shot to the championship. So, a SD, a KO1 or any other "bad value" bets are useful plays. I am sure you are referring to there bets. So, you are right in that special situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i proposed sd and md be bunch together like the ko/tko rule. it gets frustrating when you feel it's going to be a close fight in favor of one fighter and when you predict an sd or an md then it goes the other way it just sucks. i think there's not much difference between the two anyways.
    Last edited by KKisser; 01-03-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Thread Information