Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Weaving technique

Hi
    Im having a little trouble with my bobbin and weaving technique. I had a pretty bad coach until about 6 months ago until he got kicked out and he was teaching me the wrong techniques when boxing. I have a new coach that thinks i would be best suited to using bobbin and weaving as i am only 5ft 11' which is a little small in the heavyweight devision (im 104kg). Has anyone got any tips on the bobbin and weaving movement because when i was sparring, i was getting hit quite a lot when i was weaving?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Weaving technique

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't bob and weave until somebody tries to hit you. You see lots of fighters coming forward "moving the head" for no reason and the opponent times them and they get hit. The initial move in a bob-and-weave is a slip of an opponent's lead, either to the inside or the outside and a counter must be as instantaneous as the slip. Punch as you bob/weave, and the last move should get you safely. out of range or, to a place where you can land punches but not get hit back.
    Good to be back, if only briefly. I'd love to go more in depth but I'm at the library and nearly timed out. Best wishes, all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Good to be back, if only briefly. I'd love to go more in depth but I'm at the library and nearly timed out. Best wishes, all.
    It's good to see you again Joe, we've missed you. I hope that you're feeling well. How've you been?

Quote Originally Posted by jordy01 View Post
    Hi
    Has anyone got any tips on the bobbin and weaving movement because when i was sparring, i was getting hit quite a lot when i was weaving?
    Listen to greynotsoold, he gives good advice. Remember that footwork plays an important part in slipping and weaving. i.e. Immediately upon the initial slip, step toward your opponent getting him into punching range, throwing a counter at the same time.

Edwin L. Haislet defines weaving as this:

"Weaving is an advanced defensive tactic which means moving the body in, out, and around a straight lead to the head making the opponent miss and using the opening thus created as the start of a two-fisted counter-attack. Weaving is based on slipping and thus mastery of slipping helps to obtain skill in weaving. It is more difficult to than slipping but a very effective defensive maneuver once perfected. It is a circular movement of the upper trunk and head, right or left as desired."

When slipping or weaving to the inside of a straight lead, always be careful of their other (potential) hand. For instance when slipping/weaving inside of a left, have your left glove up to block their right, or be ready to stop their right at its start which can be achieved by pressing your glove against their shoulder/bicep.

Anyways like grey says, your last move should get you to safety. For boxing 101, It's always advisable to never to back straight up out of an exchange, instead it's usually better to toward step to the side of your opponent, either to the outside of their lead, or out of range.

I also recommend browsing the important posts section of this board, as it has several good posts on slipping, and counters off of the slip, bobbing and weaving as well as head movement. In that regard here's a couple of threads that I dug up:
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...tml#post126402
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...b-n-weave.html
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't bob and weave until somebody tries to hit you. You see lots of fighters coming forward "moving the head" for no reason and the opponent times them and they get hit. The initial move in a bob-and-weave is a slip of an opponent's lead, either to the inside or the outside and a counter must be as instantaneous as the slip. Punch as you bob/weave, and the last move should get you safely. out of range or, to a place where you can land punches but not get hit back.
    It's funny but even world class fighters do that.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 08-04-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Yeah, I see that too. There's a lot of misconceptions about head movement and many shorter fighters are told to keep their head moving regardless of punches thrown. Maybe perhaps part of the problem lays in people trying to imitate Tyson? Now it's all good and well when it's in response to incoming punches, but constant head movement without regarding the opponents actions is just an accident waiting to happen. They go from being a heavy bag, to becoming a double-end-bag.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Yeah, I see that too. There's a lot of misconceptions about head movement and many shorter fighters are told to keep their head moving regardless of punches thrown. Maybe perhaps part of the problem lays in people trying to imitate Tyson? Now it's all good and well when it's in response to incoming punches, but constant head movement without regarding the opponents actions is just an accident waiting to happen. They go from being a heavy bag, to becoming a double-end-bag.
    For as many pro fighters that come forwards making their head go up and down in a U shape as they step with bended knees; there are the opposition who only throw straight shots at them as they are coming in. Both are ridiculous but both allow the other to get away with it so it continues to be seen.

To counter it practice following the path that their head is going through with angled upper rips or a cross, or even a swing can work at times, if you dont connect on the end of their head movement you will get it as they have to head back to their centreline.Stay light on your feet to head back as they come forward in the same angle pattern then set yourself in.

Other than that its an instant counter or tough it out block and counter.

If you practice short angled steps with your partner you can avoid,set yourself and be following the path their head is taking all in one nice move.

Short angled steps and then full front to rear leg changes can all work well ,gives you room and makes them further commit.

Pivoting your rear foot around your front foot can get your head out of range and puts your front arm right into the mix with power in the move.

The bob and weave for no reason is ridiculous but I think to time or feint someone into a commitment by making them jab or over extend out from their centre line ,to the side then go under it and come up the inside as tey are correcting is the key to doing it right.

Of course if some one can only throw straight shots and hasnt the thought pattern left to mix it up or react in time cause of his fixed stance,stiff legs or cause he is shelled up behind a jab type, then you are going to get away with more bob and weave attacks against those types.(more so if you lightly check his front arm with yours as you go in, then weave through on his reaction)
    Last edited by Andre; 08-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.

I can explain it.

Thread Information