Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Al Bernstein On Boxing: MMA And Boxing? MP Need To Fight

The relationship between mixed martial arts and boxing has had an intriguing evolution in the past decade.

The boxing establishment has viewed MMA with equal parts ambivalence, hostility, envy and sometimes grudging respect. The MMA world has sometimes seen boxing as a kindly old uncle that you respect for its past, but snicker a bit at its present state.

From time to time there has been open hostility and ridicule of boxing by MMA moguls, but that has abated in the last several years.

For many of the “old guard” in boxing, MMA is scoffed at and treated like a barbaric undertaking that is without skill. The members of this old guard passes judgment on the sport of MMA without ever really bothering to learn more about it.

To suggest that there is not skill in mixed martial arts is as absurd as suggesting that courage is not an integral ingredient in both sports. While it is edgy and violent, MMA is also filled with nuances.

I have hosted MMA shows on ... Full Boxing Article here...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Al Bernstein On Boxing: MMA And Boxing? MP Need To Fight

Nice article Al, though I am afraid I am one of the "pretend to like MMA but really don't" people.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A very good article. I actually respect their athletes, even though I don't really watch it. The MMA fans on the other hand is something else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have nothing againsed MMA or it's fans, when they get two top guys in there you get some exiting fights and I've enjoyed quite a few of them. It's just not a patch on boxing in any which way.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice story once again, thanks.

I find it not to be a coincidence that you have two story lines in one there.
    I feel a further link between them in that martial arts stems from Asia as do the two more prolific fighters in boxing you have mentioned.

There has been a fixed mentality in boxing training for many years but I think with the fresh approaches, new blood from Asia and fresh thinking from from this new genetic paddock we are in for some more gradual changes for better.
    With western foods (red meat) entering into the Asian diets we now see ever larger/ stronger group coming out of each new generation.

Also that combined with the great trainers we have that build onto a persons natural abilities instead of totally trying to shape a boxer out of the old pre existing mold as was the past to a great extent.

All that combined we have a great and exciting future where fighters like Manny and maybe Nonito will path the way for more champs out of other parts of Asia.

The original posters from in here will attest to my thoughts about 6 years ago that champions of the lesser weights would eventually step out of Asia in answer to the Mexican strong hold, I must say I didnt dream of or have the Philippines in my mind at all, at the time. Its great, because some youngsters from throughout all those regions will have a dream to become the greatest.
    Last edited by Andre; 08-06-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got to admit I enjoy watching MMA in the same way I enjoy 20/20 cricket.

Its like quick fix but not as good as a full 5 day test match.

I understand the posters from non cricket playing countrys dont have a clue what I am on about.LOL
    Balls

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice article as always Al

I recently bought (on ebay for £40) UFC 1-75 and have watched them all. I tend to watch a lot of the fights on fast forward, because there are long periods of no good action. Having said that I do really enjoy the sport

I agree that the 2 sports can happily co-exist, but I don't think MMA will ever reach the heights of boxing.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

El Kabong Guest

Very good article, and extremely relevant these days too.

I hold boxing sacred the way some might hold Jujitsu or Tae kwan do sacred, but when I see the fighters and fans of MMA sometimes I don't see any respect or reverance for the "game"....for example Brock Lesnar, he was a top level wrestler and sure he's strong as an ox, but he has no respect for his opponents, the sport, or the fans and in my view if you don't conduct yourself where you hold your sport, your opponent, your fans in high regard then you are doing a disservice to all of them.

I only watch MMA casually, but I will admit guys like Georges St. Pierre and Lyoto Machida have won me over, they are class acts and they are respectful of their opponents, their fans, and their sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another excellent article from the Al Bernstein.

MMA has shown boxing that skill alone of combatants in this "contact" sport will be hard-up to keep its existence healthy and wildly popular, let alone be the blockbuster the sport of boxing aspires to be.

Courage, the pugilistic variety, plays a major role for keeping fans interested and willing to support the sport through their unwavering viewership.

Skill and courage if you have it then, pug, welcome... the world of boxing awaits you!
    Last edited by KananKrus; 08-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great article Al,

Really looking forward to Donaire/Concepcion. I was dissapointed that Donaire didn't hit the gas on his career after his upset victory over
    Darchinyan, but he is still young and Concepcion is a level of opponent
    I expect for him.

As for MMA, I respect the athleticism and I'll watch it if it's on, but I have no desire to follow it like I do boxing. There is definately room for both in the marketplace.

Look forward to reading more, good luck at the Donaire/Concepcion fight.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information