Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight Nonito Donaire Jr. trades in old championship belt for chance at a new one

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tonight Nonito Donaire Jr. trades in old championship belt for chance at a new one

By Brett Okamoto

Nonito Donaire Jr. smiles when people ask if it was hard to vacate his IBF flyweight championship belt so that he could move up in weight class.
    Nope. It was actually pretty easy.

For full story...
    Donaire ready for an upgrade - Las Vegas Sun

On the same card...

Steven Luevano defends his crown against Bernabe Concepcion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tonight Nonito Donaire Jr. trades in old championship belt for chance at a new on

Nobody seems to know about this slate, on schedule for tonight in Las Vegas, and a PPV-Top Rank promoted fight at that!

Donaire vs Concepcion (conqueror of AJ Banal), and Leuvano vs Abe Concepcion. This is a Filipino themed fight night, entitled Pinoy Power 2, by Bob Arum, in the mold of a more illustrious one, "Latin Fury".

This also features another Filipino aspirant, Mark Melligen, welterweight class, who honed his skills at the Mayweather gym, and did get a few pointers from PBF himself, on sparring sessions! He is going up against Ernesto Zepeda.

'Pinoy Power 2': Top Rank plays up national pride - Las Vegas Sun
    Last edited by KananKrus; 08-15-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tonight Nonito Donaire Jr. trades in old championship belt for chance at a new on

Quote Originally Posted by KananKrus View Post
    Nobody seems to know about this slate, on schedule for tonight in Las Vegas, and a PPV-Top Rank promoted fight at that!

Donaire vs Concepcion (conqueror of AJ Banal), and Leuvano vs Abe Concepcion. This is a Filipino themed fight night, entitled Pinoy Power 2, by Bob Arum, in the mold of a more illustrious one, "Latin Fury".

This also features another Filipino aspirant, Mark Melligen, welterweight class, who honed his skills at the Mayweather gym, and did get a few pointers from PBF himself, on sparring sessions! He is going up against Ernesto Zepeda.

who gives a shit about the belt, what Donaire needs to do is step up the competition, tired of seeing him beat up on nobodies who are half his size, take on Darchinyan, Gorres, Arce, Nashiro, Lopez, or even jump to bantamweight and take on, Hasegawa, Agbeko, Montiel, Sidorenko, Mares, Mabuza or even Morel

Donaire has talent and is entertaining, but seeing him beat up on bums (not that i consider Concepcion a bum) doesn't take to long for it to get boring, he has the goods to hang with (not necessarily beat) most of the big names, so why not do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

who gives a shit about the belt, what Donaire needs to do is step up the competition, tired of seeing him beat up on nobodies who are half his size, take on Darchinyan, Gorres, Arce, Nashiro, Lopez, or even jump to bantamweight and take on, Hasegawa, Agbeko, Montiel, Sidorenko, Mares, Mabuza or even Morel

Donaire has talent and is entertaining, but seeing him beat up on bums (not that i consider Concepcion a bum) doesn't take to long for it to get boring, he has the goods to hang with (not necessarily beat) most of the big names, so why not do it
    Donaire's been calling all the top names for years. But did you hear any of them wants the peace of Donaires

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacdbest2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

Donaire's been calling all the top names for years. But did you hear any of them wants the peace of Donaires
    Donaire hasn't called out shit, i've heard both Darchinyan and Montiel call out Nonito and what did he do, jump back down to flyweight

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't wait to see the seventh best fighter on the planet finally in action again!

If he wins tonight the Ring will HAVE to make him top 4 at least.

He's awesome, a legend in the making, you can see that from all the quality names on his record.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I look forward to seeing Donaire in action, although he's in relatively soft here. Luevano/Abe is going to be much more competitive, tonight Abe is gonna show if he's able to hang with elite of his division. Should be a good night of fights and more worth the money than "Hook City"
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Concepcion weights in at 119.5. 4 pounds over.

Pinoy Power 2 weigh-in! | Fightnews - Boxing News Updated 24/7

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

This is good news for Nonito. If he wins now he beat a much bigger opponent who outweighed him on the night, probably making him top 3 p4p behind Marquez and Manny.

If he loses, who cares, it was to a bigger man, who cheated by not even trying to make weight.

So his p4p number 7 spot should hopefully not be affected.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

This is good news for Nonito. If he wins now he beat a much bigger opponent who outweighed him on the night, probably making him top 3 p4p behind Marquez and Manny.

If he loses, who cares, it was to a bigger man, who cheated by not even trying to make weight.

We get it. This is bordering on spam; let it go. Please. I share your opinion regarding this subject (for the most part), but is there really a need to bring it up at every opportunity?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We get it. This is bordering on spam; let it go. Please. I share your opinion regarding this subject (for the most part), but is there really a need to bring it up at every opportunity?
    Everyone is allowed to hate on one fighter, it's a Saddo rule. I've not mentioned him in weeks, and only do so now because he's fighting tonight.

But you are the mod, if you believe its spam you have the power to put it there....

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone is allowed to hate on one fighter, it's a Saddo rule. I've not mentioned him in weeks, and only do so now because he's fighting tonight.

But you are the mod, if you believe its spam you have the power to put it there....
    You're allowed to hate whomever you want. But posting the same thing over and over is straying in Xadu territory and I find it annoying. I didn't post my previous post with modding in mind, I would've said the same thing had I not been a Mod. Just giving my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Nonito is on easy street tonight. The 4.5 excess poundage that Concepcion carries is a sure sign of a questionable camp preparations. Concepcion will come out looking like a bum on this one, factoring Donaire's distinct advantage in hand speed, and overall skills.

Although one thing of note, Cancepcion is one tough hombre, as AJ Banal found out the last time they faced each other in the ring.

AJ's excellent winning chances earlier on in the fight fizzled, as his nerves frayed, at the realization that the tough guy before him was simply not going away! Conditioning is king!

The Steven Luevano vs Abe Concepcion fight (the other Concepcion in the card), will serve notice for being the more entertaining fight, of the two double header. If Bernabe worked on his stamina issues at the training camp, he will provide a slambang affair come fight night, otherwise, he will be a victim of his own short stature glaringly pales in comparison to that of champ Steven Luevano's.

He will be unable to overcome this. He will need to constantly pressure his opponent with a cardio attack, since he does not have the one-punch knockout power.

The way for Abe to beat an excellent boxer/counter puncher in Luevano, is by the way of delivering effective, and accumulating barrage, of power punches. With the right conditioning, Abe Concepcion should be capable of delivering this. Punches in bunches, is easier said than done tho', one needs a supreme commitment on turning in three-minute action packed rounds, one after another.

Champ Luevano will box him silly if it goes the distance, might even win by stoppage. He has too much experience, too much length, and with an excellent counter-punching skills for Abe Concepcion to overcome, in whom I see as a perennially winded slugger, and amazingly, for he is still quite a bit of a youngster!

Heck! I just hope Abe Concepcion surprises.... and wins via the short route!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    I look forward to seeing Donaire in action, although he's in relatively soft here. Luevano/Abe is going to be much more competitive, tonight Abe is gonna show if he's able to hang with elite of his division. Should be a good night of fights and more worth the money than "Hook City"
    'Really looking forward Luevano-Abe fight too. I think both of them will steal the show.

Now about Donaire. I hope he makes his opponent bleed to death tonight. 'Seems like R.Concepcion didn't even show an effort to lose weight. What a punkass. almost 5 lb over the limit wtf.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    'Really looking forward Luevano-Abe fight too. I think both of them will steal the show.

Now about Donaire. I hope he makes his opponent bleed to death tonight. 'Seems like R.Concepcion didn't even show an effort to lose weight. What a punkass. almost 5 lb over the limit wtf.
    Yeah there is no excuse for weighing higher than the weight class above they are fighting in.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information