Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: May I draw your attention to a minor upset this weekend in Hungary...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default May I draw your attention to a minor upset this weekend in Hungary...

Robert Stieglitz won the WBO super-middleweight title from highly favorite Karoly Balzsay...I really thought Balzsay had it in him to be a big player at super middleweight...he is very fast,got good skill and a decent punch...he was winning the fight,but got caught in the 9th round and didn't recover from that...very good win by a brave Robert Stieglitz,who stayed in the fight didn't give up and turned it at the right time...I don't know where Balzsay will be heading after this loss I hope he will be back...As for Stieglitz...I doubt he will have much of a chance against the big names at super middle,but who knows...

Super middleweight contender Robert Stieglitz (36-2, 22 KOs) surprisingly stopped previously unbeaten WBO champion and heavily favored hometown favorite Karoly Balzsay (21-1, 15 KOs) in ten rounds to claim the WBO 168lb belt on Saturday in Budapest, Hungary. It was a good action fight that became a war of attrition. As the rounds progressed, Stieglitz’ pressure began to wear down the champion who had gotten off to an early lead. The bout turned for good in round nine when Stieglitz rocked Balzsay and followed up with a brutal all out assault. Balzsay went down at the end of the round but it was ruled a slip by referee Joe Cortez. In round ten, Stieglitz continued to punish Balzsay, who looked spent. Balzsay’s trainer Fritz Sdunek stopped a wobbly Balzsay from coming out for round eleven. Balzsay was taken from the ring on a stretcher wearing a neck brace, but appeared to be alert and not too seriously injured.

source: fightnews.com

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: May I draw your attention to a minor upset this weekend in Hungary...

Interesting, a neck vertebrae out?

Was he calling out for a rematch from the stretcher?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: May I draw your attention to a minor upset this weekend in Hungary...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Interesting, a neck vertebrae out?

Was he calling out for a rematch from the stretcher?
    Not that I'm aware of,but you are right didn't think of the possibility of a rematch...come to think about it there will probably be one...

Hidden Content

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I expected this outcome. But the other way around. I consider this a pretty big upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I expected this outcome. But the other way around. I consider this a pretty big upset.

You are right...this was actually a big upset,but considering that both boxer aren't internationally well known I thought it best to call it a minor upset...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was a big upset to me too. I thought Balzsay could have done well in the super-six tournament.

Did anything come to light about what happened to him? I've only seen the last few rounds but he went from looking fine - winning the fight - to completely drained in the space of one round.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information