Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Naz retired

Had to share this, on the BBC website on the forum today this was posted.

Funny as

Prince Naseem Hamed had to retired cos there are no challenges for him cos Clinton Woods, 37, Shane Mosley, 37, Bernard Hopkins, 44, Vitali Klitschko, 38, Roy Jones Jr, 40, and Juan Manuel Marquez, 36, are all ducking Prince Naseem Hamed just cos Prince Naseem Hamed is younger than Clinton Woods, 37, Shane Mosley, 37, Bernard Hopkins, 44, Vitali Klitschko, 38, Roy Jones Jr, 40, and Juan Manuel Marquez, 36.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a rematch with a guy who handed your ass to you be a good reasong to go on.If he didn't weigh 300 kilos he could maybe come back, surely there's a challenge out there somewhere.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Naz retired

Quote Originally Posted by jamiebhoy View Post

Funny as

Prince Naseem Hamed had to retired cos there are no challenges for him cos Clinton Woods, 37, Shane Mosley, 37, Bernard Hopkins, 44, Vitali Klitschko, 38, Roy Jones Jr, 40, and Juan Manuel Marquez, 36, are all ducking Prince Naseem Hamed just cos Prince Naseem Hamed is younger than Clinton Woods, 37, Shane Mosley, 37, Bernard Hopkins, 44, Vitali Klitschko, 38, Roy Jones Jr, 40, and Juan Manuel Marquez, 36.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a rematch with a guy who handed your ass to you be a good reasong to go on.If he didn't weigh 300 kilos he could maybe come back, surely there's a challenge out there somewhere.
    Hamed was fun to watch in his day, but in a historical point of view, he's no bigger than Zab Judah, and that's gotta say something

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as

I have no idea if Naz tried and failed to get a rematch. This was just a forum post from some guy?

I always just figured that, like the guy in your av, he had a good run, lost to an ATG, and decided to get out while the getting was good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as

Anyone who puts Clinton Woods in a comparative sentence with a selection of Hall of Famers, 4 of whom are certified ATGs, needs a slap.

Naz got out when he felt he needed to, can't hold it against any fighter who feels to do that. We're not the ones getting punched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post

Funny as

I have no idea if Naz tried and failed to get a rematch. This was just a forum post from some guy?

I always just figured that, like the guy in your av, he had a good run, lost to an ATG, and decided to get out while the getting was good.
    Yeah, was just on the BBC bocxing forum, no idea quite what the guy was on. As far as I know from over the years, Naz simply lost interest.Maybe he knew he just got found out at the highest level, who really knows but him. I'm sure if he pushed at the time he could have had a rematch.

Do you reckon that Hagler didn't want the rematch or did he really figure he wouldn't get it, again so many conflicting stories.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as

Yeah, was just on the BBC bocxing forum, no idea quite what the guy was on. As far as I know from over the years, Naz simply lost interest.Maybe he knew he just got found out at the highest level, who really knows but him. I'm sure if he pushed at the time he could have had a rematch.

Do you reckon that Hagler didn't want the rematch or did he really figure he wouldn't get it, again so many conflicting stories.
    The reality is Hagler probably would have got it, but he spent too much time after the fight bad-mouthing Leonard, implying he'd bribed the judges & so forth that it created a real sour point between them. The Four Kings book, written by a journalist most associated with Hagler, pretty much details all of this.

They were basically primed for a rematch, but Leonard got pissed off with him & didn't want to give him the payday, whilst Hagler seemed to almost revel in the conspiracy theory of it. Personally, I thought Leonard just edged it, although could easily go the other way, but I never understand how it got labelled a 'robbery'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as

I don't really remember the details, so I'll go along with what Jaz said. One thing I do remember was Hagler in an interview sometime after the loss, being asked about a comeback. "My heart says yes, my head says no." I thought that was a pretty cool thing to say. I guess he listened to his head.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

The reality is Hagler probably would have got it, but he spent too much time after the fight bad-mouthing Leonard, implying he'd bribed the judges & so forth that it created a real sour point between them. The Four Kings book, written by a journalist most associated with Hagler, pretty much details all of this.

They were basically primed for a rematch, but Leonard got pissed off with him & didn't want to give him the payday, whilst Hagler seemed to almost revel in the conspiracy theory of it. Personally, I thought Leonard just edged it, although could easily go the other way, but I never understand how it got labelled a 'robbery'.
    It wasn't a robbery but one of the judges scored it 118-110 for Leonard. Meaning that Leonard won 10/12 rounds on 1 score card. So of course with that kind of scoring from 1 of the judges it will be labeled a robbery from some fans. It was indeed a very close fight and could have went either way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hamed retired because he discovered he had a heart the size of a pea, and now a stomach the size of Butterbean's!
    He received a reality check from Barrera and knew he couldn't win a rematch and would never beat Morales either.
    His deflated ego couldn't handle the fact he just wasn't good enough!!
    He was entertaining and probably was a good boxer, but never an elite one.
    I have much more respect for fighters who comeback from defeat better than they were, than fighters like Hamed who just wimped out, took his bat and ball, went home and pondered what might have been!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Hamed retired because he discovered he had a heart the size of a pea, and now a stomach the size of Butterbean's!
    He received a reality check from Barrera and knew he couldn't win a rematch and would never beat Morales either.
    I have much more respect for fighters who comeback from defeat better than they were, than fighters like Hamed who just wimped out, took his bat and ball, went home and pondered what might have been!

Did Naz ever actually say he was retired, maybe he's on a break like an episode of Friends.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny as

A rug facing Mecca maybe?

We had so many Professional Muslim boxing analysts in here telling us which way the wind blew back in Hamheads day.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naz said he left the sport to spend time with his kids and be a dad end of the day he walked away W36 L1 D0 31KO's won WBC,WBO,IBF titles beat the WBA champ also he was number 1 featherweight for 4 year or more he got down to P4P#5 he made 15 defences of his WBO in just under 5 year he beat some good fighters who were champions past champions or went on to become champions. Also he walked away with about £50m in the bank not many fighters can say or do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

could have been worse, he could have stuck around and gotten knocked out in the second round within his next fight
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point. I see Hamed, like a big serving tennis player. Sure it may win him a lot of matches and even a few tournaments, here and there, but he won't consistently be able to compete for top honours or aganist top players (Federer, Nadal) because he just doesn't have the all round game to do so. Hameds power papered over basic ring flaws which were exposed by Barrera. He is WAY down on my list, not because he lost. There is NO disgrace in losing to M.A.B at his peak, but the fact that he never came back, never asked for a rematch, just took his lose and left. Someone said he's same level as Zab Judah. I would put him lower than that. After all Judah has faced Tyusu, Cotto and Maywether to name but a few. I think Jorge Paez would be a good comparison for Hamed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing needs showmen and exciting everything from the ring entrance to the power punch, and at the moment, if I could bring Naz back to life like he was, that would be a very fine thing indeed, even if it were to see him get his arse smacked by barrera again.

On the other side of things, I read something interesting from Chris Eubank a while back. He gave Naz a piece of advice once, saying something like" you need to train your body to accept punishment if you are to win the hardest fights" and Naz's response to this was "no way, ain't nobody gonna be hitting me". ha. How wrong he was.
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 09-04-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information