Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Clinton Woods Announces Retirement

The recent decision loss to Tavoris Cloud was too much for Clinton Woods, 37, to take. The British fighter officially announced his retirement from boxing after a 15-year career that saw him win the light heavyweight crown and face fighters such as Roy Jones Jr, Glen Johnson, Julio Gonzalez and others.

"Cloud was a really good fighter and he's young, while maybe I'm too old for that level. In my hey-day I would have beaten him, but I have no excuses and I think my love affair with boxing is over. I wouldn't have chosen to have gone out with a defeat, but I never took a beating," Woods told The Star.

Woods admits that after watching the fight with Cloud, he saw that it was Cloud who controlled the pace in the fight.

"Yes, Cloud did hurt me in one of the rounds, but I felt at the time that the fight was closer than it actually was. When I watched it on video, I thought the first six rounds were even, but it is obvious that Cloud took it over from there. It was weird because at the time I read it completely wrong. I thought I had set the pace.

"There have been more ups than downs over 15 years. Beating Crawford Ashley for the European light-heavyweight title (1993) and winning the world title against Rico Hoye (2005) were the biggest highlights, along with beating Glen Johnson (2006.) It was good while it lasted and I am happy with what I achieved. I'm not a millionaire but I have made some money out of boxing. But I couldn't do nothing. I'd want to work a couple of days a week. I'll miss boxing, but I'll keep going to the gym."

Clinton Woods Announces Retirement, Ends Long Career - Boxing News

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Clinton Woods Announces Retirement

Fair play to Woods. He has had a very decent career and now would be as nice a time to let it go as any. He lost to a prospect on the way up, but got through the twelve and managed to win a few on the way. Other fighters have achieved far less and gone out far worse. I wish him well in whatever he decides to go ahead and do now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    The recent decision loss to Tavoris Cloud was too much for Clinton Woods, 37, to take. The British fighter officially announced his retirement from boxing after a 15-year career that saw him win the light heavyweight crown and face fighters such as Roy Jones Jr, Glen Johnson, Julio Gonzalez and others.

"Cloud was a really good fighter and he's young, while maybe I'm too old for that level. In my hey-day I would have beaten him, but I have no excuses and I think my love affair with boxing is over. I wouldn't have chosen to have gone out with a defeat, but I never took a beating," Woods told The Star.

Woods admits that after watching the fight with Cloud, he saw that it was Cloud who controlled the pace in the fight.

"Yes, Cloud did hurt me in one of the rounds, but I felt at the time that the fight was closer than it actually was. When I watched it on video, I thought the first six rounds were even, but it is obvious that Cloud took it over from there. It was weird because at the time I read it completely wrong. I thought I had set the pace.

"There have been more ups than downs over 15 years. Beating Crawford Ashley for the European light-heavyweight title (1993) and winning the world title against Rico Hoye (2005) were the biggest highlights, along with beating Glen Johnson (2006.) It was good while it lasted and I am happy with what I achieved. I'm not a millionaire but I have made some money out of boxing. But I couldn't do nothing. I'd want to work a couple of days a week. I'll miss boxing, but I'll keep going to the gym."

Clinton Woods Announces Retirement, Ends Long Career - Boxing News
    nothing but pure class right there, he's had a good career and has accomplished plenty, has nothing to be ashamed in losing to a guy whos undefeated and a good decade younger than he is, wish him the best

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Much respect for Woods, he's leaving with his marbles intact and giving respect where it is due.

Kudos to you Mr. Woods hope retirement treats you well, you had a respectable career and knew when to say when.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ive always liked Clinton Woods i wish him good luck in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very honest and a good pro.Left the game with alot of respect from people.

Hope he enjoys his retirement he deserves it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He deserves a lot of credit, unlike some other British fighters, he always challenged himself against the best, even if he came up short & he deserves the utmost credit for that. He never ducked a fight & always went up against those fighters who were real tough bastards who plenty of others were ducking, e.g. Glen Johnson & Gonzalez. The kind of fighter who went further than his skillset suggested, not because of careful matchmaking as in other cases, but because he had great heart for a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad he has a few quid, his marbles in tacked and plenty of respect.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Woods was a guy it was hard not to root for. Wasn't ever close to being great but certainly tried liked one.

Good for him. Retired with more respect than most.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information