Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to beat Mayweather?

The only weaknesses I've seen are that he sometimes raises his chin slightly when punching (not really when he throws the leaping lead left hook but more often when he jabs), sometimes telegraphs his lead straight right by re-positioning his rear foot towards his opponent (somewhat resembling a sprinter in starting position) and when leaning back to avoid head punches he sometimes raises his chin significantly without having his right glove in a position to block a left hook to the head. I'm a big Pacquiao fan but I can't see him beating Mayweather. The only punch I can see him landing is when Mayweather telegraphs his lead right and Pacquiao moves his head side to side then throws his own straight left while leaning to Mayweather's left and then turning him (the same move he landed on De la Hoya seemingly at will). Yeh I know Oscar was dehydrated. Please no "gangstah" Mayweather this and that shit I wanna learn about boxing not about your admiration for your favourite boxer. Thanks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: How to beat Mayweather?

greetings hope you enjoy the site..I do believe as do several others that DLH was doing very well againt Mayweather until yet again and gassed, that's one blueprint right their...the key to unlocking most things is the jab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to beat Mayweather?

Be a proper Welter? Not a lightweight cherry picked opponent?

That would help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spike his pre-match drink.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

put pacbeast in the ring with him, watch him get slice up til he shit himself.

El Kabong Guest

I always thought rough housing with him would work well....either than or YOU control distance and pace with the jab.

2 guys historically I KNOW Floyd would lose to Roberto Duran and Tommy Hearns...fight like those guys

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Impressive in reflex for coming off long layoff but know doubt he was in training mode ready to grab an oppurtunity.The size,weight contrast was farcical but he got Marquezs name.

But even last night,there were spots when he showed some kinks.Marquezs straight right,contrary to fluffer Lampleys blinders,was reaching him a few.A strong jab would go along way on him.And at times he does back in a line.Forget what round it was after in the corner...4,5? but he couldn't wipe the blood outta his nose fast enough.He's not unbeatable.Take a breath.Oh and not being given last minute clauses in a contract and held to the same standards as most fighters on the scales would help too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The size difference between Floyd and Marquez was rather dramatic. Floyd looked big and solid and Marquez looked small and fleshy.

Floyd loves fighting smaller guys with shorter arms because he can lean back and roll his shoulder to make their shots fall short while making it appear he is in their punching range.

A taller guy with longer arms and good speed can come over the top of that shoulder and catch him on the end of their punch. The crux of that though is they also have to have good legs under them to counter Floyd's ability to dart back out.

I don't know if Mosley has any legs left to catch a speedy guy like Floyd.

El Kabong Guest

I think Mosley's chin and handspeed/ability to throw combo's with power will help him, but I still think the punch that finally catches Floyd will be a CROSS and not a hook so I don't think Mosley is the guy that would KO Floyd....hopefully Pacquiao can do his thing, I hate for him to beat Cotto, but anything to put a 1 in the loss column for Floyd.

It's a God damn tragedy someone so talented should be such a fucking cocksucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive been noticing a pattern in the guys Floyd fights. They are generally not taller and not rangy. JMM, Hatton, Baldomir, Judah, pretty much all his opposition in recent years. Oscar had some height and reach and thats why he had early sucess with his jab, which was a good one when he threw it. Floyd is an incredibly skilled fighter, but you can get punches in on him. One or two punches at a time is pointless against Floyd cause he rolls back and counters. You have to throw 4 and 5+ punches at at time. All off a double jab. Ultimately it is the right hand and hook that will get in and do the damage. Most fighters wnt beat Floyd, but he is not unbeatable. It will take a guy with a great jab and right hand, some pop, good range and knows how to use it. The guys at Welterweight now are mostly all the kind of fighter that Floyd would beat.
    Cotto, Clottey, and Berto would all have a chance because they are all real Welterweights and could present Floyd with problems hes never faced. Lets not forget, the only real welterweight that Floyd didnt have problems with is Baldomir. Thre three men above bring more to the tale that Baldomir could stylistically. In all honestly though, the guys I would favor the most to beat Floyd are at Light middle, somewhere Floyd shouldnt go and I doubt he will. Shane and Manny are the safest options for Floyd and I think he will take on one of them next. There is also the most money there. Pac is too wreckless for Floyd and to vulnerable to getting hit. I cant picture him beating Floyd, but I dont see him getting past Cotto either. Shane is past it now...anyone else notice he is slurring now?...and Margarito was garbage in their fight. It looked like Shane was impressive, but watch it again and you will see that Shane was not the same guy he was in his prime. The Mayorga fight too. I think he will fight him next. The timing is perfect cause on paper Shane is still the best Welterweight ant the fight would sell.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To beat Mayweather you need a fighter who is naturally bigger than him, If you are smaller than Mayweather you have no chance. I would also say you need to have very good stamina and handspeed that is close or better than Floyds.

There is no one in the sport at 147/154 that can outbox Mayweather. His defense, movement, speed and accuracy are simply too good for anyone to deal with.

I do feel there is a strategy to beat Mayweather though, and if i was to pick one, it would be to outwork him.

Mayweather loves fighting at his pace and in most fights he gets what he wants. To beat Mayweather you need to make it a high paced fight.

When i say a high paced fight, i don't mean throw punches in 2 and 3s. I mean you have to put punches together in 4 and 5s. That way you are able to keep Mayweather on the defensive. You have to be aware of Mayweather counters though.

You have to apply smart pressure against Mayweather and with that i don't mean swarm him and try to beat him up close like Hatton did. That will never work as Mayweather is a very smart inside fighter.

When i say smart pressure i mean you have go for the attack, swarm him with punches and then move out. In and out at all times. That way it stops Mayweather punching you once you get inside. You will likely not land many punches but it's an effective way of stopping Mayweather throwing his accurate shots thus leading to you outworking him.

No matter what though, Mayweather will always be very very hard to beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant be done, and never will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has too much speed. The only way anyone will beat him if his speed diminishes with age. He gets away with a lot of stuff because of his speed of hand and his speed of body and feet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by magee View Post
    He lost to Castillo already but because "HBO is my family, HBO is my home" he got the nod. People really overrate this prick

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magee View Post
    He lost to Castillo already but because "HBO is my family, HBO is my home" he got the nod. People really overrate this prick
    Floyd Mayweather Jr had a badly injured shoulder and wasn't 100 percent, and how long ago was that ? and didn't Floyd Mayweather Jr beat JLC in the rematch handily ?

And the 1st fight was very close, due to the fact JLC hardly done anything in the first 5 rounds, and IMO Floyd Mayweather Jr won atleast 4 out of the first 5 rounds. And he easily could of won another 2 rounds, especially the 11th round which was close.

So based on one close fight he's overrated ? how many gift decision's did Muhammad Ali get ? how many did SRR get ? I don't know a single great fighter that hasn't had a gift decision.

I don't see how that makes him overrated, infact i think it makes Floyd Mayweather Jr look even better, because you can only really name one fight of his that was close. And even in that fight he was injured.

The fact is Floyd Mayweather Jr is one of the best skilled, best defensive fighters of all time. For certain in the top 10 in the skills department, and he's certainly on the right track to being one of the greats of this era.
    Last edited by ICB; 09-20-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Thread Information