Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is use of the Forearm Illegal or not?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Is use of the Forearm Illegal or not?

If it is, do you think Floyd Mayweather will EVER be penalised for using it

Iv'e seen fighters get pulled up and harassed by referee's for some silly things like back-hand-jabbing and spinning out of clinches... Not very sinister stuff but for me, the constant and blatant use of the Forearm up close is just infuriating to see.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is use of the Forearm Illegal or not?

Surely it is. Mayweather does that a lot and it annoys me too. He was particularly bad against Hatton. Hatton repeatedly in close and then wedged in the face with an elbow and arm....that is unless Cortez got there first in his valiant efforts to eradicate fighting on the inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when its used as blatant as floyd its indeed as illegal as pacquiaos constant use of his head.

hatton actually took the piss out of floyd in one of the 24/7 episodes for constantly throwing his forearm into combinations almost as if it was routine for him.

Used it all night against hatton and cortez amazingly didnt happen to spot it once
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Certainly is illegal once or so is OK but constant use of it and to have it used in the neck area is really pushing it......

But I guess it is OK if Floyd does it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Illegal or not everyone knows he does it going into the fight. People that don't even watch boxing know he does it....so be ready for it. Now i'm sure floyd is the only one in boxing breaking the rules, but the forearm is still no excuse for a loss against him. If someone found some illegal advantage over him no one would shed a tear.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    when its used as blatant as floyd its indeed as illegal as pacquiaos constant use of his head.

hatton actually took the piss out of floyd in one of the 24/7 episodes for constantly throwing his forearm into combinations almost as if it was routine for him.

Used it all night against hatton and cortez amazingly didnt happen to spot it once
    hahaha some one is bitter about the two thrashings Hatton took, and Mayweather doesn't throw the forearm, he uses it to push his opponent off of him then follow up with a left hook or lead right, think too much is being made of this, he's done it his whole career so don't get why people are bitching now, and this is coming from a guy who was accused of being a "hater" just a couple days ago by JT lol

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the reason that PBF doesn't get called out on it in the ring is he actually takes a step back so when his opponents rush in. they run into it.
    I'm not saying this makes it right, but it games the system into a gray area.
    "Look I just happened to have my arm up when he went for a clinch and I
    accidently clipped him in the cheek with my elbow trying to get away"
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It can be pretty flagrant.In an ideal world refs would enforce the rules right down the middle.And John Ruiz would have 20 DQ losses for excessive holding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's not like PBF swings the elbow.

it's up to the refs to catch that shit. anyway, hatton-tszyu was downright disgraceful.

at the end of the day, PBF doesn't win b/c he uses forearms. it's because he's better than his opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sumkalambay View Post

it's up to the refs to catch that shit. anyway, hatton-tszyu was downright disgraceful.

at the end of the day, PBF doesn't win b/c he uses forearms. it's because he's better than his opponent.
    Whats the need for it then? It must help him or he would never do it. Floyd ducks below the belt a hell of a lot and uses forearm/elbow often but it's up to the ref to pick up on it. To be fair it's not like he is butting and throwing low blows in there he is just bending rules rather than breaking them. If that makes sense.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just about all of top fighters in boxing do something illegal as part of their strategy. Holding and hitting, headbutting, low blows, arm locks... you name it someone using it as part of their technique.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

Whats the need for it then? It must help him or he would never do it. Floyd ducks below the belt a hell of a lot and uses forearm/elbow often but it's up to the ref to pick up on it. To be fair it's not like he is butting and throwing low blows in there he is just bending rules rather than breaking them. If that makes sense.
    all great fighters have a dirty trick up their sleeve

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

all great fighters have a dirty trick up their sleeve
    So true, my favourite dirty trick is used by Ricky Hatton -- Keeping his laces loose so that when he is close to being knocked the fugg out by a light fisted puncher (i.e. Lazcano) he can catch a breather

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

hahaha some one is bitter about the two thrashings Hatton took, and Mayweather doesn't throw the forearm, he uses it to push his opponent off of him then follow up with a left hook or lead right, think too much is being made of this, he's done it his whole career so don't get why people are bitching now, and this is coming from a guy who was accused of being a "hater" just a couple days ago by JT lol
    Good posting Elterrible, too much is being made of this. It all depends on the ref too.

Vic Draculic took a point away from Mayweather in the Castillo fight for excessive forearm usage to the distain of Larry Merchant. Larry Merchant went ballistic at the ref.

Again, this is boxing, not tiddlywinks. You get away with what you can on your way to victory. If something is done obviously and excessively in front of the ref, then of course points should be taken away but a great, experienced boxer will know when and where to do these things without getting caught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

Well, yes, mayweather would throw a "str8 right or a left hook" I mean he doesn't really throw anything else, does he? And I have long since complained about his elbows in fights. He was penalized in the first Castillo fight for it and never since. He got away from it for a while, but he was right back at it bad with DLH. I was shocked Cortez was letting Floyd get away with that much in Hatton's fight.

So why should we not be pissed if he's done it his whole career? Is there anything this guy has done right? Mayweather is so respectable as a person, family man, fighter, competitor, crowd pleaser, and cash cow. I love him like the morning dew in the desert. He breathes new life into boxing. I think he is a really good role model, too.

I think Kessler called him out for his next fight at SMW. Floyd will take the fight. He never dodges anyone.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Thread Information