Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Following faster fighter/Landing combos

Hi Guys and Gals,
    Iv recently started sparing my trainer as there is no one my size that will spar in the gym im 6'6/198cm and 209lb/95kg (trying for cruiser) and the trainer is smaller around middle weight or lighter and im having difficulty landing more than just jabs unless i move inside and then i recieve rips and hooks to the body because he is faster than myself. BUT it is teaching me to cover up more whilst in close.
    Anyhow does anyone have any ideas on how to stay on the outside(using my reach) and land combos, what are effective combos or foot work that would improve my position for the combos against a faster boxer?
    Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Following faster fighter/Landing combos

Hey Aussie_Egg. One thing you can consider working on is controlling the range. Basically you want to keep him outside of your jab, and walking into it when he tries to move in. It takes a fair bit of both forward and backward movement. Lateral also. If he is coming forward, you're moving back, countering. If you're moving forward, you are throwing the jab keep him moving back. And this will help set up the other punches, combos. Tieing him up as soon as he gets in works, then pushing him off and throwing/re establishing range as you do.

As for lateral movement, if he is charging in throwing, you step to the left, or right, and be throwing when you do. Step to the left with a left hook. All one movement. Then jab, or throw that combo. Same when stepping right, whatever you are more comfortable with. All designed to keep him away and off you, from in close, where both his size and speed can have an advantage.

These are some thing I've worked on lately that I find help, when fighting a shorter fighter, an in fighter, or a brawler. Keeping the range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Following faster fighter/Landing combos

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Hey Aussie_Egg. One thing you can consider working on is controlling the range. Basically you want to keep him outside of your jab, and walking into it when he tries to move in. It takes a fair bit of both forward and backward movement. Lateral also. If he is coming forward, you're moving back, countering. If you're moving forward, you are throwing the jab keep him moving back. And this will help set up the other punches, combos. Tieing him up as soon as he gets in works, then pushing him off and throwing/re establishing range as you do.

As for lateral movement, if he is charging in throwing, you step to the left, or right, and be throwing when you do. Step to the left with a left hook. All one movement. Then jab, or throw that combo. Same when stepping right, whatever you are more comfortable with. All designed to keep him away and off you, from in close, where both his size and speed can have an advantage.

These are some thing I've worked on lately that I find help, when fighting a shorter fighter, an in fighter, or a brawler. Keeping the range.
    I tried what you said Youngblood and felt it was quiet effective, i still got hit a few time but it is something to work on. I found that by using a left hook leed occasionally i was able to land more punches and throw off his rythem. Then he wasn't charging as much on me, i think it was from me not throwing mostly jabs making it harder for him to read me.
    Trainer said i am on the right track

Back to it in the morning for another flogging

Cheers Youngblood for the helpful info

Thread Information