Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Improvement of the right hook

Firstly I fight in a orthodox stance "lead left". I work pretty much the same combo's over & over again because I haven't had time for some decent mitt work to learn some better ones "1,2,3,slip left, 3 to body or head". I have a decent straight, but I want to get a right hook involved in my combos. I've asked a few people to help me with my form to better my right hook "horrible form". One person said to do a 2,1, or 1,2 then step with 1 foot to the right land the right hook to the body then jab twice to get back to my normal stance. Another person said that you don't need to step with the right hook you can throw it off your chin "I think it leaves you wide open". Anybody have any suggestions on proper right hook form, and any combos I can work it into. Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Improvement of the right hook

No, but I'm all ears for this thread. The right hook is a punch I've never gotten down properly. I use the straight, overhand right. Can even jab well with it when switching up...and try as I may, it is hella hard to work into combos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My trainer just had me working on this on Sunday and it felt pretty powerful and fast.

From the normal boxing stance begin twirling your hips counterclockwise while simultaneously jerking your right leg straight (vital). Your hips will rotate completely (also vital) to give it the proper snap. Your forearm extends only until perpendicular with your upper arm. Your elbow will rotate up.

I hope I explained it right. I never liked the right hook until my trainer showed me and now I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: Improvement of the right hook

I certainly see what you mean about power with straightening the right leg "putting out a cig motion". I never really thought of it as straightening out the right leg, but clearly gives the hips a nice motion. I'll try it out tonight and get back with what I think. Stamina training tonight... blahhh...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The right hook is a fairly recent term. Years ago it would've been referred to as a right cross, or as a right uppercut to the body. The mechanics of throwing a right hook isn't much different than throwing a straight right. The right hook to the body however is a little different, as it's actually in between a hook and an uppercut. You see, you don't want to throw it wide because you would leave your self open to a counter left-hook/uppercut.

It's a good punch on the inside as well as a good counter thrown off of a slip. Try slipping to the inside and planting a right hook to the solar-plexus. Work it in combinations too, especially to the body as it'll set your opponent up for an uppercut or hooks to the head.

Here's a couple of threads that go over the right hook:
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ightmares.html
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...tml#post203467
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm. Amazing similarity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i use this: 2-1-2 with the second '2' having a hook to it. Shane Mosely uses this type of right hand. Kind of like a cross/overhand hybrid.

here is the important part (at least for me). Your distance has to be a half step closer then it is with a straight right. I advance with the 2-1 to help cover ground, and then the hook it close enough to come around the guard if needed.

Many guys are not used to defending against this angle too. They will bring their guard up, but they wont cover the side of the head/temple/jaw like we are so used to when defending against a left hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by :::PSL::: View Post
    Hmm. Amazing similarity...

(ooops, cant even quote images yet...the first 1 with mayweather)
    Thats pretty much the only combo I like to use with the right hook. Setting it up with a few 1-2's or 1-1-2's to the head to draw the guard up because theyre expecting another shot to the head is the best I find...used sparingly tho, 1 or maybe 2 times a round or against a pressure fighter to remind him you can hurt him if he gets in close too. If theyre in close dig up a bit tho (shovel hook), lands better that way.

Thread Information