Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Floyd's punching stats to Vitali's punching stats in latest matches

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Comparison of Floyd's punching stats to Vitali's punching stats in latest matches

Interesting article with an odd point: how often does a heavyweight throw more punches (and power punches) than a welterweight? Vitali threw more punches in ten rounds than Floyd threw in twelve!

BOXINGTALK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Comparison of Floyd's punching stats to Vitali's punching stats in latest matches

Haha....

A guy on OnTheGrind Boxing website summed up Mayweather perfect in the Title of an article i read there. It read something like "Mind Bending Skills, Questionable Application".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Comparison of Floyd's punching stats to Vitali's punching stats in latest matches

It would be interesting to see how many punches Arreloa threw compared to JMM. Mayweather might have had to spend more time avoiding punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is more ironic is it is the same people who rip the Klitchkos for being boring and not aggressive who hide in the rest room for a chance to wipe floyd's a$$.

You could also say that Floyd is fighting in a less risky division, the heavyweight's are more likely to change a fight with one punch than any other division and where a less talented fighter can beat a good fighter with one punch, just ask lennox....haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“The punch stats show that the heavyweights are not always less entertaining than the lightweights,” said Tom Loeffler, Managing Director, K2 Promotions.

not true, it just shows how boring of a fighter pbf is.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many punches Arreloa threw compared to JMM. Mayweather might have had to spend more time avoiding punches?
    I'd imagine their punch outputs were very similar. Neither fighter could get punches off.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe you are right. Arreola was 86 of 331 and Marquez was 69 for 583. Remember though we are comparing welterweights to heavyweights. Just that they are capable of comparison is slightly odd.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    What is more ironic is it is the same people who rip the Klitchkos for being boring and not aggressive who hide in the rest room for a chance to wipe floyd's a$$.

You could also say that Floyd is fighting in a less risky division, the heavyweight's are more likely to change a fight with one punch than any other division and where a less talented fighter can beat a good fighter with one punch, just ask lennox....haha
    Are you saying that heavyweights would be expected to throw less punches because they are one punch away from being knocked out, which is less likely at lower weights?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Maybe you are right. Arreola was 86 of 331 and Marquez was 69 for 583. Remember though we are comparing welterweights to heavyweights. Just that they are capable of comparison is slightly odd.
    Fair point, but Marquez is clearly far more adept at punching than Arreola in terms of his accuracy. I think the fact that a fighter as good as Marquez threw 252 more punches than Arreola & connected 17 less has to say something as well.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was as way off as a human could ever be. I had a similar feeling watching both fights though, wanting the losing guy to do more, but never quite doing it.

Arreola's output is quite shocking really.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Fair point, but Marquez is clearly far more adept at punching than Arreola in terms of his accuracy. I think the fact that a fighter as good as Marquez threw 252 more punches than Arreola & connected 17 less has to say something as well.
    That Floyd has amazing defense.

Still how many times do you see a heavyweight throwing decisively more punches than a welterweight? Vitali gets a ton of crap for being a boring fighter. At least in this case, the punching stats don't show it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

That Floyd has amazing defense.

Still how many times do you see a heavyweight throwing decisively more punches than a welterweight? Vitali gets a ton of crap for being a boring fighter. At least in this case, the punching stats don't show it.
    I don't think he's a boring fighter, I just feel the quality of his & his brother's opponents (not Chagaev or Arreola who I both thought were good fighters) is often not up to standard. I think the reason Vitali's performance gets less praise than Floyd's is because to the average person it isn't as exciting to watch, because his size doesn't allow him to look as fluid & athletic as Mayweather. Although I think Vitali is on the slide, he kept Arreola decisively at bay & I was impressed at how he went to the body. But, I don't really see anyone not giving him credit (Lefty isn't here no more)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You also have to look at quality of punches, 90% of what MAyweather throws is crisp, technical punches, while Vitali throws a lot of half hearted punches and he gets away with it because of his size and strength.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    You also have to look at quality of punches, 90% of what MAyweather throws is crisp, technical punches, while Vitali throws a lot of half hearted punches and he gets away with it because of his size and strength.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but still it when you consider the numbers, it is a little wild to think a heavyweight threw more punches than a welterweight. To your point, also take into consideration that Vitali landed 153 of 201 power punches and Floyd landed 105 of 177 power punches.

I guess another thing to take away from this is that Arreola has a helluva chin because Vitali is a monster of a human and landed a ton of punches on Arreola.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...floyd didn't need to throw as many, and against a much better fighter. Seems more impressive to me.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information