Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Showtime Boxing <<< HBO Boxing. Opinion (NOT Fact)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Showtime Boxing <<< HBO Boxing. Opinion (NOT Fact)

First I want to say that I think the Super Six Boxing Classic is one of the best things to happen to boxing. I am having some serious issues here with Showtime boxing coverage of fights. Now this is only based on the two fights I saw this past weekend. I do not subscribe to Showtime so I only catch 25% of their fights.

#1 We do not get good angles on the fights live. HBO seems to put in their groundwork in getting the closest shots of the fighters with pertinent replays. Look at the NFL. They only have to follow a ball around and they have a million cameras on wires following everything. The replays (Abraham fight specifically) were sub par. They missed a lot of key shots, and the announcers sounded a little befuddled with the replays between rounds. "Here is, uh, Abraham, uh missing, and Taylor throwing a jab that stops his movement." Granted it was pretty hard to pick out good action from that fight for the most part.

#2 There were no stats to look at. I know it was a lopsided amount of punches thrown, punches landed, and % landed. If you watched the fight I don't think I need to elaborate. But I had a feeling Taylor was going to outbox him thoroughly. I just didn't think everyone was going to act like they weren't seeing it happen. I guess people are tired of Taylor trying to just look better than his opponent.

#3 White ropes are really hard to see through. It makes it difficult to see the boxers/gloves move.

I think the fight was rigged. Short of Taylor coming out with the KO there is no way he was getting that decision. I have no idea what people were thinking saying Taylor was losing by the end of 6 rounds. He 5x Abrahams output, while still landing 2x the punches. I kept telling myself there are sanctioning bodies there, and the ref is from Guatemala or something... But I think that everyone had their mind made up he couldn't win.

My hat goes off to Taylor who, in my humble and unbiased opinion (I really like both fighters), I think won the fight by 2-3 points had he finished..
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Showtime Boxing <<< HBO Boxing. Opinion (NOT Fact)

Well I agree on the fact it would be nice to see some punch stats. To have Taylor ahead by the 12th round is a bit of a stretch IMO. I had AA clearly in charge. 7-4 Abraham.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Well I agree on the fact it would be nice to see some punch stats. To have Taylor ahead by the 12th round is a bit of a stretch IMO. I had AA clearly in charge. 7-4 Abraham.
    Did you score any round 10-8 for AA? I didn't think he had any clearly dominant rounds. I wasn't listening to the crowd. I think Taylor picked off a lot of AA shots very well. Maybe it was showtimes crappy angles that were leading me to believe he wasn't getting hit much.

If it was in America it would have been a draw.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Did you score any round 10-8 for AA? I didn't think he had any clearly dominant rounds. I wasn't listening to the crowd. I think Taylor picked off a lot of AA shots very well. Maybe it was showtimes crappy angles that were leading me to believe he wasn't getting hit much.

If it was in America it would have been a draw.
    I thought Abraham's punches were clearly more effective down the stretch and even in the mid-rounds, I'll watch it again, but I'm pretty comfortable with my scoring. Judging by definition is opinion so feel free to have yours.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This post was really less about the decision than the quality of the show from Showtime... But alas... At least no one has jumped on here and said Pacquiao!!!! or Mayweather some thing something!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This post was really less about the decision than the quality of the show from Showtime... But alas... At least no one has jumped on here and said Pacquiao!!!! or Mayweather some thing something!
    I agree that HBO seems better prepared stat/compubox wise for fights. The Showtime crew isn't all that bad though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First I want to say that I think the Super Six Boxing Classic is one of the best things to happen to boxing. I am having some serious issues here with Showtime boxing coverage of fights. Now this is only based on the two fights I saw this past weekend. I do not subscribe to Showtime so I only catch 25% of their fights.

#1 We do not get good angles on the fights live. HBO seems to put in their groundwork in getting the closest shots of the fighters with pertinent replays. Look at the NFL. They only have to follow a ball around and they have a million cameras on wires following everything. The replays (Abraham fight specifically) were sub par. They missed a lot of key shots, and the announcers sounded a little befuddled with the replays between rounds. "Here is, uh, Abraham, uh missing, and Taylor throwing a jab that stops his movement." Granted it was pretty hard to pick out good action from that fight for the most part.

#2 There were no stats to look at. I know it was a lopsided amount of punches thrown, punches landed, and % landed. If you watched the fight I don't think I need to elaborate. But I had a feeling Taylor was going to outbox him thoroughly. I just didn't think everyone was going to act like they weren't seeing it happen. I guess people are tired of Taylor trying to just look better than his opponent.

#3 White ropes are really hard to see through. It makes it difficult to see the boxers/gloves move.

I think the fight was rigged. Short of Taylor coming out with the KO there is no way he was getting that decision. I have no idea what people were thinking saying Taylor was losing by the end of 6 rounds. He 5x Abrahams output, while still landing 2x the punches. I kept telling myself there are sanctioning bodies there, and the ref is from Guatemala or something... But I think that everyone had their mind made up he couldn't win.

My hat goes off to Taylor who, in my humble and unbiased opinion (I really like both fighters), I think won the fight by 2-3 points had he finished..

I couldn't agree more I to had Taylor ahead but if Abraham won that round I seen a draw my brother who was up FL had Abraham ahead by one point.If you watch closely Abraham at the end of the 11th signals to his corner something like be quiet or along them lines. I think Abraham was a bit tired and discouraged. He looked winded in the corner but he was very lucky to land that shot.

Does anyone know what the scorecards show? I was trying to find them but couldn't.

Thread Information