Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: World Ranked British fighters...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default World Ranked British fighters...

Heavyweight

David Haye - WBA No.4, WBO No.3, The RING No.8
    Sam Sexton - WBO No.13

Cruiserweight

Ola Alafoabi - WBO interim Champion, The RING No.9
    Herbie Hide - WBC No.2, WBO No.3
    Light Heavyweight

Nathan Cleverly - WBC No.11, WBA No.14, IBF No.6, WBO No.4

Super Middleweight

Carl Froch - WBC Champion, The RING No.3
    Paul Smith - WBO No.4
    Brian Magee - WBC No.11

Middleweight

Matthew Makclin - WBC No.8, IBF No.6, WBO No.4, The RING No.6

Light Middleweight

Jamie Moore - WBC No.3, The RING No.8
    Ryan Rhodes - WBC No.7
    Anthony Small - WBA No.10, WBO No.6
    Bradley Pryce - WBO No.10

Welterweight

Kell Brook - WBO No.7
    Junior Witter - WBC No.9
    Michael Jennings - WBO No.12

Light Wlterweight

Amir Khan - WBA Champion, The RING No.3
    Ajose Oleguseen - WBC No.3
    Ricky Hatton - WBA No.9, WBO No.8, The RING No.2
    Paul McLoskey - WBC No.13, WBO No.15
    Gavin Rees - WBO No.9

Lightweight

Alex Arthur - IBF No.6, WBO No.4

Super Featherweight

Kevin Mitchell - WBC No.7, IBF No.2, WBO No.1, The RING No.10
    Nicky Cook - IBF No.11,The RING No.8
    Ricky Burns - IBF No.14, WBO No.2

Featherweight

Martin Lindsay - IBF No.5

Super Bantamweight

Rendall Munroe - WBC No.2, WBA No.4, IBF No.10, WBO No.14, The RING No.10

Bantamweight

Jason Booth - WBO No.6
    Ian Napa - WBC No.13

Super Flyweight

Don Broadhurst - WBO No.12

Some shockers there if you ask me.

Kevin Mitchell? How the fuck has he got such high rankings in a few bodies, his best win against an exposed Johanneson, and he has been very inactive recently.

Martin Lindsey and Alex Arthur?? The IBF been smoking crack?

Ajose Oleguseen the world beater himself at no.3 in the WBC rankings.

Some fighters maybe havent fought the calibre of fighter like Moore but they have held a prestegious belt for a period of time i.e European belt, but some of them rankings are awful.

I see the Warren Boxing Organisation are well represented aswell.

Paul Smith number 4 hahaha!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Ranked British fighters...

To be fair mate, Olusegun has been avoided big time by many in the light-welter division. Both Witter & Alexander found ways to get out of WBC mandated fights against him.

The ones I have issues with

Paul Smith #4 at SMW (didn't he recently outpoint a guy that James DeGale KO'd in 1)

Bradley Pryce #10 at LMW (he did beat the mighty Michael Monaghan)

Junior Witter #9 at WW (has he even fought there yet?)

Gavin Rees #9 at LWW (how the fuck is he above McCloskey)

Alex Arthur #4 & 6 at LW (ok now they're taking the piss)

Ricky Burns #2 at SFW (the man gets more help from UK refs than Alex Ferguson)

Jason Booth #6 at BW (yep he's earned a fight with Montiel)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    To be fair mate, Olusegun has been avoided big time by many in the light-welter division. Both Witter & Alexander found ways to get out of WBC mandated fights against him.

The ones I have issues with

Paul Smith #4 at SMW (didn't he recently outpoint a guy that James DeGale KO'd in 1)

Bradley Pryce #10 at LMW (he did beat the mighty Michael Monaghan)

Junior Witter #9 at WW (has he even fought there yet?)

Gavin Rees #9 at LWW (how the fuck is he above McCloskey)

Alex Arthur #4 & 6 at LW (ok now they're taking the piss)

Ricky Burns #2 at SFW (the man gets more help from UK refs than Alex Ferguson)

Jason Booth #6 at BW (yep he's earned a fight with Montiel)
    Yes i agree mate he has been avoided big time, lastr I heard he was fighting a Romanian winner takes on Alexander, I honestly feel he is a tad overrated.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Yes i agree mate he has been avoided big time, lastr I heard he was fighting a Romanian winner takes on Alexander, I honestly feel he is a tad overrated.
    I dunno if he's overrated, I think he's got the talent, but in the last year or so, he's looked like he can't be bothered to raise his game for the domestic level, I thought he could've stopped Wright in his last fight if he wanted. The guy he's fighting next JoJo Dan isn't bad, Olusegun is the better fighter, but he can't let it go to the cards in Romania, he has to look to stop him. I do think that a fight with Alexander is winnable for him, I'm very unimpressed by Alexander

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we're all going to pick out different fighters who we think maybe don't deserve the ranking, but for the most part it is going to be down to perspective and what you judge and over what kind of period.

Sam Sexton's rank is surprising....but my bugbear with his only decent win over Rogan is well documented. Not sure Afolabi nor Hide can really be considered true Brits in the cruisers.

Welsh contingent Pryce and Rees are in there on luck more than form against quality opposition I think.

The other one I sort of have a problem with is the Hatton ranking. It's nearly a year away from his last victory over Malignaggi, and has a devastating defeat defeat more recently against a guy who stepped up to fight him. I sort of think he's really beyond the rankings now, like Pacquiao and Mayweather, where they will only fight the massive money fights where weight and division and title seem to be a side detail to a huge fight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    I think we're all going to pick out different fighters who we think maybe don't deserve the ranking, but for the most part it is going to be down to perspective and what you judge and over what kind of period.

Sam Sexton's rank is surprising....but my bugbear with his only decent win over Rogan is well documented. Not sure Afolabi nor Hide can really be considered true Brits in the cruisers.

Welsh contingent Pryce and Rees are in there on luck more than form against quality opposition I think.

The other one I sort of have a problem with is the Hatton ranking. It's nearly a year away from his last victory over Malignaggi, and has a devastating defeat defeat more recently against a guy who stepped up to fight him. I sort of think he's really beyond the rankings now, like Pacquiao and Mayweather, where they will only fight the massive money fights where weight and division and title seem to be a side detail to a huge fight.
    How so mate?

I mean both consider themselves Brits (I know Ola does because I know him) & both were raised here. Ola was actually born here. He only went to the States to box after he'd been doing it here awhile. I could see an argument about Olusegun, but not Ola or Hide. Let's put it this way, they're as British as Matthew Macklin or Paul McCloskey

Well, except they say they're Brits.

Had to laugh at Hatton only being one ahead of Rees in the WBO rankings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How so mate?

I mean both consider themselves Brits (I know Ola does because I know him) & both were raised here. Ola was actually born here. He only went to the States to box after he'd been doing it here awhile. I could see an argument about Olusegun, but not Ola or Hide. Let's put it this way, they're as British as Matthew Macklin or Paul McCloskey

Matthew Macklin was born and reared in england and although both parents are from tipperary, hes as english as you can get. Paul mc Closkey would not consider himself British, even though hes british champion (that old politics shit again). Just watch McCloskey this next 12 to 18months. I honestly feel he can beat the other guys on that list, Hatton included. This guy should have been fighting championship fights 4-5yrs ago. Hopefully he'll win in early november and get a shot at khan because i've thought that he would beat him this past 2yrs, and i like khan. thats how good i rate McCloskey. Does anybody else think that the way Brian Magee has been treated is nothing short of disgraceful? I mean, the guy stood aside and let 2 others fight for his british title (which he didnt have to do) when he got injured. When the exact same scenario happened to Paul Smith (the winner of the 2) ,he refused to stand aside like magee did,to let Magee fight for his british title. Ok he didnt HAVE to do it, But if Magee was decent enough to let them fight for his title then surely the favour should have been reciprocated

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post

How so mate?

Matthew Macklin was born and reared in england and although both parents are from tipperary, hes as english as you can get. Paul mc Closkey would not consider himself British, even though hes british champion (that old politics shit again). Just watch McCloskey this next 12 to 18months. I honestly feel he can beat the other guys on that list, Hatton included. This guy should have been fighting championship fights 4-5yrs ago. Hopefully he'll win in early november and get a shot at khan because i've thought that he would beat him this past 2yrs, and i like khan. thats how good i rate McCloskey. Does anybody else think that the way Brian Magee has been treated is nothing short of disgraceful? I mean, the guy stood aside and let 2 others fight for his british title (which he didnt have to do) when he got injured. When the exact same scenario happened to Paul Smith (the winner of the 2) ,he refused to stand aside like magee did,to let Magee fight for his british title. Ok he didnt HAVE to do it, But if Magee was decent enough to let them fight for his title then surely the favour should have been reciprocated
    Macklin actually says he considers himself Irish. My point was that he's no different to Ola Afolabi, who born & raised here, only difference was he chose to go the States to pursue his pro career. I agree on Magee, the way Smith acted has led to me really hoping Quigley batters him. I rate McCloskey, but I feel he's unlikely to get a fight with Khan, he's better off pursuing Urango, because the other guys have better money options available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How so mate?

Macklin actually says he considers himself Irish. My point was that he's no different to Ola Afolabi, who born & raised here, only difference was he chose to go the States to pursue his pro career. I agree on Magee, the way Smith acted has led to me really hoping Quigley batters him. I rate McCloskey, but I feel he's unlikely to get a fight with Khan, he's better off pursuing Urango, because the other guys have better money options available.
    I agree with Jaz how can Macklin be as British as they come?? If you ever listen to Macklin he refers to his irish roots as often as he can which I dont blame him for all my family are irish, he has also fought for the Irish title at Middleweight, he was born in England yes but to say hes as British as they come I think he is more prouder of his Irish roots.

Also McClosky should of been fighting championship fights 4/5 years ago??
    You do realise he only turned pro 4 years ago? 19 fights in and fighting for the European Title in his own backyard seems if anything ahead of schedule to me, Khan would whoop him aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

light middle division must be so shit if anthony small is ranked 6 and how the hell can cleverly not be on the ring magazine top 15 yet??
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Macklin considers himself Irish i believe.
    Don't see at all why Hide wouldn't count as British.
    Afolabi i hadn't really thought of as British although i knew he was born here. But If he was born here and considers himself British, then that is good enough for me. Who am i to argue?
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    light middle division must be so shit if anthony small is ranked 6 and how the hell can cleverly not be on the ring magazine top 15 yet??
    Maybe because it's a Top 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    I agree with Jaz how can Macklin be as British as they come?? If you ever listen to Macklin he refers to his irish roots as often as he can which I dont blame him for all my family are irish, he has also fought for the Irish title at Middleweight, he was born in England yes but to say hes as British as they come I think he is more prouder of his Irish roots.

Also McClosky should of been fighting championship fights 4/5 years ago??
    You do realise he only turned pro 4 years ago? 19 fights in and fighting for the European Title in his own backyard seems if anything ahead of schedule to me, Khan would whoop him aswell.
    Your right my friend. In my haste in typing quickly i typed years when i meant fights and i'll explain why. I've spoken in the past to quite a few guys who have trained in Breens,john himself included, and have seen him spar and each one sang his praises highly. He had a good amateur pedigree and has been well ahead of himself from the off. Couple that with dedication (he drives 110 mile round trips to train god knows how many times a week) and good living, is a great start. You say Khan would whup him? fair enough but i disagree. As for the Macklin thing, that wasnt intended to come out the way it did. I was just trying to make the point that he was born in england and that you cant be anymore english than if your born there. Not having a pop, just saying. As for the irish title, please give me a break. An all-ireland senior title has more kudos than the pro equivalent. Even the lads will tell you that themselves but i digress. You made 2 great points there and i apologise and hope you accept my explainations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if wbo has smith ranked #4 (seems kinda high), maybe instead of defending the british title against dodson in march, why doesn't he just challenge stieglitz for the wbo? wouldn't the wbo title carry more weight as far as getting big fights? a liverpool/manchester fight could draw enough live gate and tv $$ to make it attractive for stieglitz but smith would probably need to travel to germany. stieglitz was scheduled to fight edison miranda but instead just beat ruben acosta after miranda pulled out. april would be open for his 2nd defense. that fight would seem to make a lot of sense for both fighters for a lot of reasons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dulcechristo View Post
    if wbo has smith ranked #4 (seems kinda high), maybe instead of defending the british title against dodson in march, why doesn't he just challenge stieglitz for the wbo? wouldn't the wbo title carry more weight as far as getting big fights? a liverpool/manchester fight could draw enough live gate and tv $$ to make it attractive for stieglitz but smith would probably need to travel to germany. stieglitz was scheduled to fight edison miranda but instead just beat ruben acosta after miranda pulled out. april would be open for his 2nd defense. that fight would seem to make a lot of sense for both fighters for a lot of reasons

Maybe cos Smith is crap lol, nah I think he should try get a wbo shot Stieglitz isnt any world beater but either is Smith, I think Dodson has a shot at beating him in a few weeks.

Thread Information