Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy jones jr vs Mike Tyson

I realize this is a bit of a fantasy match and the two are slightly different in weight, but Roy jones given a few pounds in his prime vs a prime Mike Tyson, who wins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy jones jr vs Mike Tyson

im sure this thread has been done already...
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it was after the Ruiz Fight that this fight was actually being talked about. Granted it wasn't a prime tyson but we all still would have watch it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight would just not be fair Roy was 154 at the start of his career Tyson was 210-220. That makes him 60+ lbs naturally heavier. I know Ruiz had the same size advantage but he wasn't Mike Tyson.

I am the biggest Roy Jones fan and p4p I think he is top 5 all time but to think he could live with a prime Tyson would be absurd and I don't really think Tyson was as great as some make him out to be, just too big and powerful for Roy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Roy Jones' flamboyant and further more articulate style would be too intricate for tysons head strong brutal power. Its Roy Jones all the way for me (assuming were talking about a pound for pound match up here)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LethalChris View Post
    I think Roy Jones' flamboyant and further more articulate style would be too intricate for tysons head strong brutal power. Its Roy Jones all the way for me (assuming were talking about a pound for pound match up here)
    You can't really say a p4p match though as both fighters were great at using their natural gifts i.e. Tyson used his brute strength and speed for a big guy well, whereas Jones used his freak athleticism.

If they had fought after the Ruiz fight then Jones may have had a chance,but a prime Tyson would have got to him eventually in his prime I have no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A prime Tyson, natural heavier with more natural power would've had RJJ. I don't think you can compare due to the massive weight difference between the two.

In Tysons prime you might have been able to be more accurate and dance round him, but one punch with either hand and you were gone. RJJ wouldn't have stood a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree prime tyson would have been too much. Roy may have danced around but he always had a bad habit of staying too close too long believing in his ability. Even Ruiz caught him in that first round and stunned him, had that been a real HW hitter roy would have gone down.

Tyson's not an all time great in terms of career, but he's definitely up there in terms of hand power, agility, and quickness. Couple that with the fact that Tyson is like a shark when he smells blood. He would have known Roy was smaller and this would have given him extra motivation.

Its Ironic that Id pick prime tyson over roy, but I'd take Roy over Ali.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    I agree prime tyson would have been too much. Roy may have danced around but he always had a bad habit of staying too close too long believing in his ability. Even Ruiz caught him in that first round and stunned him, had that been a real HW hitter roy would have gone down.

Tyson's not an all time great in terms of career, but he's definitely up there in terms of hand power, agility, and quickness. Couple that with the fact that Tyson is like a shark when he smells blood. He would have known Roy was smaller and this would have given him extra motivation.

Roy over Ali?? No way. Roy would probably beat him now.

Ali would get Roy quick IMO. Roy's biggest advantage is speed but although he is not as fast as Roy, Ali was far bigger and had freak speed in hand, feet and reflex and the outcome would be a KO for Ali.

Can't believe I am going against Roy so much but I'm trying to remain sensible. Any of the ATG HW's would be too much for Roy Jones who is basically a blown up MW with freakish power, Speed and skill. But HW's are just too much for even the likes of Roy. I mean look at his fight with Ruiz, yes he was dominant but that wasn't the dominant fighter that destroyed everyone and everything at LHW.

Roys natural size is similar to SRR (who is the only man I think is def better than Roy p4p) and he too would have no chance with any ATG big man!
    Last edited by rjj tszyu; 10-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well say were talking about a boy at his best 175. I think Roy's style which would have been pretty foreign to Tyson and would give him a lot of trouble. Tyson was used to fighting much heavier slower opponents and I think roy could really frustrate Tyson. I honestly think Roy might could pull a deciscion. I think Tyson was great in his prime, but Roy was a lot slicker boxer, and I think he could stick and move his way to victory. That may be a long shot because if Tyson landed a few flush hooks to Roy's head it would be good night Mr. Jones. This fight could go either way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigLuke View Post
    Well say were talking about a boy at his best 175. I think Roy's style which would have been pretty foreign to Tyson and would give him a lot of trouble. Tyson was used to fighting much heavier slower opponents and I think roy could really frustrate Tyson. I honestly think Roy might could pull a deciscion. I think Tyson was great in his prime, but Roy was a lot slicker boxer, and I think he could stick and move his way to victory. That may be a long shot because if Tyson landed a few flush hooks to Roy's head it would be good night Mr. Jones. This fight could go either way.
    Spinks was a good 175 fighter not as good as Roy but you get the point!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with LethalChris on this one.
    Its not a fair comparison given the size difference. If we arent talking about this in terms of P4P then Jones gets taken out.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

Ali would get Roy quick IMO. Roy's biggest advantage is speed but although he is not as fast as Roy, Ali was far bigger and had freak speed in hand, feet and reflex and the outcome would be a KO for Ali.

Can't believe I am going against Roy so much but I'm trying to remain sensible. Any of the ATG HW's would be too much for Roy Jones who is basically a blown up MW with freakish power, Speed and skill. But HW's are just too much for even the likes of Roy. I mean look at his fight with Ruiz, yes he was dominant but that wasn't the dominant fighter that destroyed everyone and everything at LHW.

Roys natural size is similar to SRR (who is the only man I think is def better than Roy p4p) and he too would have no chance with any ATG big man!
    Styles make fights, and Ali ate tooo many left hooks, wide and slow left hooks at that. Roy would have a field day not to mention he'd be making Ali miss which would also play against him.

I'm taking Roy over any of the smaller heavies ATG or not. With the exception of Tyson who is probably the quickest heavy in history on foot. Roy would beat them. 190-220 If they fall in that range I'd take Roy. Yeah Ali was quick because he averaged around 205-210 before going to prison.

I think Roy's advantage would be his smarts against the rest of them. Against an aggressive guy like tyson who is quick enough to get into position to throw and had a great chin as well would be too much.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

Styles make fights, and Ali ate tooo many left hooks, wide and slow left hooks at that. Roy would have a field day not to mention he'd be making Ali miss which would also play against him.

I'm taking Roy over any of the smaller heavies ATG or not. With the exception of Tyson who is probably the quickest heavy in history on foot. Roy would beat them. 190-220 If they fall in that range I'd take Roy. Yeah Ali was quick because he averaged around 205-210 before going to prison.

I think Roy's advantage would be his smarts against the rest of them. Against an aggressive guy like tyson who is quick enough to get into position to throw and had a great chin as well would be too much.
    first off Ali never technically went to prison he was out on bail and couldn't leave the country, and wasn't allowed a license
    given that Ruiz of all people was able to get Jones on the ropes on numerous occasions, and Ruiz isn't a big HW, Ali would have murdered Jones at HW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson. No question. Aside from utilizing his speed Roy liked to cover up and let guys punch themselves out. Anybody who tried that against Tyson would have been making a costly costly mistake. And if he tried to dance all night long Tyson was no slouch in the speed department and would have caught him eventually.
    Oops

Thread Information