Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Jab - Info overload..

As a newbie ive obviously being reading everything I can about correct form for different punches, but with the jab im still feel slightly confused. Ive been traing now for around a month and have thrown the jab relaxed, from the feet then from the shoulder and it feels right and it feels quite fast and the power behind it is improving. Heres the problem..

I've read then that the hip should be used and not the shoulder and now trying it it all just feels kind of wrong and a lot slower. Should i just stop reading so many dam articles and just crack on with whats working or should i practise with the hip until it feels natural? Any good advice on this would be ace.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Jab - Info overload..

take time to learn the jab the proper way. Even if it 'feels' slower, you will have to reprogram your body with hours and hours of practice until it feels normal again. Learn to throw it from the proper stance, with proper balance, using your body not just your arm. Look under "useful posts" here on both the jab and the stance. I had to relearn it all over again after doing it 2 years "my" way, but now when I fight and spar, I'm so glad that I did, since it's my best punch.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My coach says the power should come from the motion of stepping in... not from rotating the hips.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adding a slight hip snap when you jab isn't necessary, but it can make all the difference if you want to jab harder. What's good about it is that you'll have a jab that can keep your opponent honest, even without you stepping in with it. If I were you, I'd just keep it in the back of your mind as another thing to work on later on.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess this topic has been done to death on this forum so i appreciate your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See, here's another example of punches not truly being analyzed like I just posted in "training device". Why is it that a person can't radar their jab speeds to see what position and movements give them the best affect? Why is it a guessing game to "feel" what is best?

I'm no expert, but by-golly, I know enough to say to distract the brain it does not take a power punch; a stiff jab to the face is a jolt enough to allow the other power punches to be used that do involve more fist travel and body movement. You now have that extra time because of the "distraction".

Knowing what your jab speed is let's you know how fast your opponent has to react. Knowing how to achieve your fastest jab speed by trying different methods would be very useful. So again, why don't people radar their speeds to know for sure what they are doing? Increasing your jab speed by just 1 mph makes a big difference.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DUde, you need to spend about 6 months in a gym throwing jabs, but moreso catching them in the face, from all angles, at different speeds, preceeded by feints, dbl'd up etc etc before you start making assumptions about the benefits of speed over 'feel'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    DUde, you need to spend about 6 months in a gym throwing jabs, but moreso catching them in the face, from all angles, at different speeds, preceeded by feints, dbl'd up etc etc before you start making assumptions about the benefits of speed over 'feel'.
    Oh yes, only those of the higher world that stepped into a ring can only post here. All others can't think. All others who have been in real fights have no idea of anything. Speed makes no difference. How foolish of me oh mighty one. Can you tell me how fast your jab feels? Is there no benefit to seeing if the jab speed could be increased? To know it increased would take more proof than feel for me, but what do I know. Speed makes no difference is what you're saying? As long as a jab that feels good at 9 mph is better than a jab at 11 mph that does not feel right? Enlighten me since you like to go by feel. So, radar bad, feel good?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
    Oh yes, only those of the higher world that stepped into a ring can only post here. All others can't think. All others who have been in real fights have no idea of anything. Speed makes no difference. How foolish of me oh mighty one.

Yea, you seem pretty level-headed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
    Oh yes, only those of the higher world that stepped into a ring can only post here. All others can't think. All others who have been in real fights have no idea of anything. Speed makes no difference. How foolish of me oh mighty one.

Yea, you seem pretty level-headed.
    Why is it that people who post a disagreement that has a comeback goes unanswered logically. What is so wrong about knowing your speed rather than what you feel it is? What is so wrong seeing if your speed could be increased?

You're right about one thing, I will leave these forums up to the boxers. Inputs that seem to make sense to me apparently don't make sense and I will not get an answer why they don't make sense, except for an "answer" that explains nothing. Again, you're right, I am wasting my time here. That, I got an answer to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is alot more to an effective jab then the sped it registers on a radar gun. Like Youngblood was saying, once you have spent months in the gym, you get a better understanding. Angles, tempo, feints, doubling and tripling the jab, jabbing while moving, countering,.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    There is alot more to an effective jab then the speed it registers on a radar gun. Like Youngblood was saying, once you have spent months in the gym, you get a better understanding. Angles, tempo, feints, doubling and tripling the jab, jabbing while moving, countering,.....
    x2, a jab, on its own, will (or should) never land. You need to utilize all of the bolded above if you're going to land it. Speed often (or most often) loses to ring intellegence.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a thought, expectations slows movement
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Smooth is felt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quick update for anyone interested

After 2 months I 'think' its starting to happen! Feels like im at that point where the practise and effort seems to be paying off. Not saying for a second its what you call a great jab, but its getting quicker, more accurate and it feels like more power when i throw it.

After hearing the word 'RELAX' getting shouted at me a few hundred times at my gym I now understand why. Theres hope for me yet

Thread Information