Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some old musings on ring generalship

A boxing match is often won and lost on a very subtle level. The feeling out round of the first three minutes is seldom given importance beyond a kind of a generic warming up to an engagement. However, the entire tone of the match is often set in these tense moments. Things such as the proper gauging of distance and space, as well as the confidence level of the fighters are important to the actual determination of initiative. Distance is something more than a sense of how long your opponent's reach is or how to position yourself to be able to properly land a punch.

Just as important is seeing how well the opponent gives ground (alternately how easily he loses it) and how assertively he takes it. Anyone can move backwards and forwards but to do so with assertiveness is the mark of a skilled fighter. This will allow the cognizant fighter to shape the direction of the fight with what is often referred to as ring generalship. A match between two technically astute fighters will be one of constant battle for the tight control of initiative. A fighter can either be pushed backwards or led forward. Being the more measured one in either role is the greater part of being an effective ring general. If you push the opponent back on your terms the initiative is yours. If you go backwards as if leading your opponent with a rope the initiative is yours. This struggle for initiative can lead to various positions and openings and is exactly the correct moment to use feints properly. Total awareness is required to stay on top of every development as the fight unfolds. There is no difference between attack or defense, so do not relax your attention to shift gears.

When two fighters engage, sooner or later one will be pushed back or one will follow the other. The battle to determine this depends on the reaction to movement. If movement creates a reaction proper distance will insure continued initiative. If movement fails to create a reaction it will become a battle of assertive mental tension. A break in concentration can lead to the seizure of initiative by a cognizant fighter - he can determine during a lull in the action if the opponent has "fallen asleep at the gate" and then simply calmly stroll inside and wreck the place.

The ability of the fighter to stay in the flow of the present will allow him to observe a preoccupation with the past and future in the opponent. This preoccupation is particularly vulnerable to seizure of initiative. A fight is not a good time to think deeply! How tired you are or how you look has no place in your thoughts at that moment. It is very important to choose the correct moment to consider tactics and overall progression of strategy. This is where a good trainer in the corner is invaluable. The proper things said in the corner and in training running up to the bout eliminate unnecessary doubts during the rounds themselves. Moments of indecision are the same as the previously described moments of preoccupation. The fighter who feels a need to improvise or choose new tactics during rounds should do so at moments where there is distance between himself and the adversary. He must be aware of the gross actions of his opponent and be ready to break his reverie at a moment's notice.
    Last edited by Dadi Astthorsson; 10-29-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Slight typo
    To the brave belong all things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some old musings on ring generalship

This is perhaps more apparent in a fencing match, since the fencers may only move forward and backward. The 'fencing measure' is a central consideration for a fencer. It is the distance which a fencer keeps in relationship to his opponent, and is such that he cannot be reached unless his opponent lunges.

Now imagine that you're in your boxing gear while standing on a fencing line. Your opponent stands at a 'fencing measure' in front of you. How would hit them?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    This is perhaps more apparent in a fencing match, since the fencers may only move forward and backward. The 'fencing measure' is a central consideration for a fencer. It is the distance which a fencer keeps in relationship to his opponent, and is such that he cannot be reached unless his opponent lunges.

Now imagine that you're in your boxing gear while standing on a fencing line. Your opponent stands at a 'fencing measure' in front of you. How would hit them?
    With a paling, a nail gun or my level?

fencing right, Oh God I have to fork out for mine soon,180 feet of it is falling down; big $$.

I would interrupt their initial movement and strike on their reaction.Thats dealing in the initial contact stage of weapon to weapon or arm to arm not weapon to head stage that comes on the reaction to the reaction.
    Actually Id stick my sword in their knee cap on the first lower, then go high on that reaction, but hey thats me
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi Astthorsson View Post
    A boxing match is often won and lost on a very subtle level. The feeling out round of the first three minutes is seldom given importance beyond a kind of a generic warming up to an engagement. However, the entire tone of the match is often set in these tense moments. Things such as the proper gauging of distance and space, as well as the confidence level of the fighters are important to the actual determination of initiative. Distance is something more than a sense of how long your opponent's reach is or how to position yourself to be able to properly land a punch.

Just as important is seeing how well the opponent gives ground (alternately how easily he loses it) and how assertively he takes it. Anyone can move backwards and forwards but to do so with assertiveness is the mark of a skilled fighter. This will allow the cognizant fighter to shape the direction of the fight with what is often referred to as ring generalship. A match between two technically astute fighters will be one of constant battle for the tight control of initiative. A fighter can either be pushed backwards or led forward. Being the more measured one in either role is the greater part of being an effective ring general. If you push the opponent back on your terms the initiative is yours. If you go backwards as if leading your opponent with a rope the initiative is yours. This struggle for initiative can lead to various positions and openings and is exactly the correct moment to use feints properly. Total awareness is required to stay on top of every development as the fight unfolds. There is no difference between attack or defense, so do not relax your attention to shift gears.

When two fighters engage, sooner or later one will be pushed back or one will follow the other. The battle to determine this depends on the reaction to movement. If movement creates a reaction proper distance will insure continued initiative. If movement fails to create a reaction it will become a battle of assertive mental tension. A break in concentration can lead to the seizure of initiative by a cognizant fighter - he can determine during a lull in the action if the opponent has "fallen asleep at the gate" and then simply calmly stroll inside and wreck the place.

The ability of the fighter to stay in the flow of the present will allow him to observe a preoccupation with the past and future in the opponent. This preoccupation is particularly vulnerable to seizure of initiative. A fight is not a good time to think deeply! How tired you are or how you look has no place in your thoughts at that moment. It is very important to choose the correct moment to consider tactics and overall progression of strategy. This is where a good trainer in the corner is invaluable. The proper things said in the corner and in training running up to the bout eliminate unnecessary doubts during the rounds themselves. Moments of indecision are the same as the previously described moments of preoccupation. The fighter who feels a need to improvise or choose new tactics during rounds should do so at moments where there is distance between himself and the adversary. He must be aware of the gross actions of his opponent and be ready to break his reverie at a moment's notice.
    Very true,to have done your hard yards in sparring in preparation to the fighter your facing helps.

Also thats why I think to disrupt them and make them pay for any preconceived Ideas or moves will always pay dividends on two levels .
    One they've paid with loss of point or pain the other they are forced into a thinking mode (out of being in their zone) if you've really made them pay correctly.

This stuff is born in the pre contact stage where its weapon to weapon glove to glove, thats where disruption of movment,deflection and reaction begin whats about to go down for real one foot further in. Its hard to read any of that back one more stage though;out in the non contact zone of feeling out.Thats a seperate study again and a real art if you can hold ground but subtley move to disrupt them on their move.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In pre-sport, classical renaissance fencing, the measure is dynamic. It's incredibly interesting to study.
    To the brave belong all things.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi Astthorsson View Post
    In pre-sport, classical renaissance fencing, the measure is dynamic. It's incredibly interesting to study.
    It is and in some practices the measurement of that dynamic can go back even further, into the meditation preparation and some believe further back into the genetics and or spirit ancestor help, or maybe its the link to all universal knowledge when you go completely in "the zone" and magic occurs and you're untouchable.

A mate of mine owned a club here in Melbourne years ago and got a real beating off of three big well known armed gangsters one night who wanted a cut of the takings etc, it was caught on some security cameras the three of them beating and kick him around the room breaking stuff over him,throwing him around etc. The cops eventually arrived and rang around all the intensive care units to see where my mate was. They then called every hospital and last of all went to his place and couldnt belive he was just sitting at home watching telly. They made him strip off to see all of his damages thinking he was on something masking the pain. But there was no damage, never was. They said theyve seen people die from less.
    He told me he prayed internally the whole time it was going down! The cops couldnt belive it was him, I think they asked if he had a twin brother.

I can explain it.

Thread Information