Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Dawson...why aren't people sold?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chad Dawson...why aren't people sold?

Every time I watch him fight I'm impressed. Dawson is clearly a talented fighter yet the American audience isn't buying into him. Can someone tell me what is not to like?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chad Dawson...why aren't people sold?

I'm not sold yet because I think his chin is still a question mark, plus the fact that he struggled so mightily with Johnson the first time. He's still young & has time on his side to prove his worth & he is doing everything asked of him so far.

He took out Tarver easy the first time, the rematch may have hurt him more than advanced him though. I think giving Johnson the rematch is the best move he could have made... if he looks impressive here then its all there for the taking: a possible fight with the Hopkins/ Jones 2 winner, a clash with fellow young guns Cloud & Pascal, then potentially the super six winner.

He has all the talent in the world & the opportunities are there for him to be one of the best, I'll have a better feeling for him after tomorrows fight
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Was New York, Cali most recently to present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the Tarver rematch was very mediocre. I never followed Chad, that was the first fight I watched of his and was left feeling very unsatisfied especially from all the hype. It could be a case of only fighting to the ability that is necessary, but I don't know wasn't blown away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, after reading the few posts on here I am amazed that people are actually saying what they are. His chin? Tarver fight was mediocre? All Dawson has done is win no matter who is in front of him. Look at his young resume and it is better than any of the young guys right now. I don't know how his chin is still in question or what was he suppose to do to Tarver but he is 4-0 against the likes of Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver(only one to beat him twice), and Tomaz Adamek(only one to beat him at all). Aside from BHop those are the best names around light heavy. Man, I hate to see Dawson actually lose a fight. People will probably completely ignore his great wins and say "see I knew he was not that good" after one loss. If people can be all over Berto as the next great thing then look at what Dawson has done already. He is well beyond Berto thus far. Dawson is the real deal.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson needs to beat the legends to get some notice Jones and B Hop. In order to fight these guys he has to clean up the division and give them no excuse to fight him, which he is capable of.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    Wow, after reading the few posts on here I am amazed that people are actually saying what they are. His chin? Tarver fight was mediocre? All Dawson has done is win no matter who is in front of him. Look at his young resume and it is better than any of the young guys right now. I don't know how his chin is still in question or what was he suppose to do to Tarver but he is 4-0 against the likes of Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver(only one to beat him twice), and Tomaz Adamek(only one to beat him at all). Aside from BHop those are the best names around light heavy. Man, I hate to see Dawson actually lose a fight. People will probably completely ignore his great wins and say "see I knew he was not that good" after one loss. If people can be all over Berto as the next great thing then look at what Dawson has done already. He is well beyond Berto thus far. Dawson is the real deal.
    I very much dislike Berto as well.

El Kabong Guest

Well for me he's a 1 handed fighter and even with that hand he has little power.

It would have been nice had Dawson been involved in the 168 tourney.

I like the guy, but he's not fighting anyone flashy..Glenn Johnson And he needs a rematch to really beat him soundly? If he fought Tavoris Cloud and whipped him bad, I think he'd get a load more respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.....because he's forced to spend the last couple of years fighting the same two ass holes who have no chance at beating him in the first place. Sucks for Dawson he already beat adamek (the main guy who had a shot) b hop is scared to death of the guy and he beats most of these others easy so no one wants to see it. He's pretty sound and can sorta pop, his main big flaw to me is that he throws his punches too damn straight and it makes it easy too block most of them
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    .....because he's forced to spend the last couple of years fighting the same two ass holes who have no chance at beating him in the first place. Sucks for Dawson he already beat adamek (the main guy who had a shot) b hop is scared to death of the guy and he beats most of these others easy so no one wants to see it. He's pretty sound and can sorta pop, his main big flaw to me is that he throws his punches too damn straight and it makes it easy too block most of them
    that made me laugh a bit

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Every time I watch him fight I'm impressed. Dawson is clearly a talented fighter yet the American audience isn't buying into him. Can someone tell me what is not to like?
    Was sold on BCD since about his 16th fight.

I don't get it either the kids talented sure he's got flaws but what fighter doesn't?
    He beat a legitimate champ in Adamek who was top 2 at that time.

I agree that the 2 Tarver and now 2 Glen fights aren't stellar but it is what it is. I think bad management is the root cause here as far as opposition goes.

Funny people are still talking about his chin. Watch the Glen fight and look at the shots he took from Glen and tell me he's got a questionable chin.
    Been hearing about his weak chin since Welliver rocked him a bit in their fight. Then if memory serves me right Harding drops him early in their fight.

I always say this Trinidad was often dropped in his fights. But he always came out on top. BCD's got talent but does he have the will and determination to push himself and stay at the top?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's a B+ guy in a weak division. It's nothing against him, but who wants to watch anybody fight Tarver? Johnson is a little better, but not by much.

If "bad chad" wants elite status, he'd need to knockout Johnson and should have knocked out Tarver in the 2nd fight. Not his fault, but there's just no compelling competition out there right now...

B-hop and RJJ wouldn't stand a chance. That is the ONLY reason those fights haven't been made; at this point, I think B-Hop is a bigger cherry picker than Floyd.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hfahrenheit View Post
    He's a B+ guy in a weak division. It's nothing against him, but who wants to watch anybody fight Tarver? Johnson is a little better, but not by much.

If "bad chad" wants elite status, he'd need to knockout Johnson and should have knocked out Tarver in the 2nd fight. Not his fault, but there's just no compelling competition out there right now...

B-hop and RJJ wouldn't stand a chance. That is the ONLY reason those fights haven't been made; at this point, I think B-Hop is a bigger cherry picker than Floyd.

2004-2008 he's fought DLH, Eastman, Taylor (twice), Tarver, Wright, Calzaghe, and Pavlik, back to back, hell if all fighters would cherry pick like that i'd be a very happy person, he's been horribly inactive, but hasn't been avoiding anyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

another lack luster performance from Dawson is why I am not sold. Nothing special to watch really. Does just enough to get the job done. No excitement in the guy. He definitely won but ehh so what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Dawson will be a star. He fights like Mayweather but non of the Cocky antics that Floyd has. He slur & murmur when he speaks, he has no personality, he has the humble attitude but it will not sell coz he's not exciting in the ring. He adopted the boring shoulder roll of Mayweather but with less offense. I see his career to end like Jermaine Taylor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well for me he's a 1 handed fighter and even with that hand he has little power.

It would have been nice had Dawson been involved in the 168 tourney.

I like the guy, but he's not fighting anyone flashy..Glenn Johnson And he needs a rematch to really beat him soundly? If he fought Tavoris Cloud and whipped him bad, I think he'd get a load more respect.
    Adamek, Johnson, and Tarver are way more proven then Tavoris Cloud who IMO is the last guy Dawson should be facing.

If you think Dawson has one punch maybe you should watch his fight against Adamek. He has a great cross to go along with that right hook ,and he throws great combinations which requires both hands.

Thread Information