Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 121 combination?

Hey. I've got a question about the 121 combination. When you throw the last jab do you drop your right heel, transfer your weight back to your rear leg and pivot on your left toe and transfer your weight back to your rear leg like you would when throwing a left hook? Also, after I throw the straight right it feels awkward retracting my right hand to a higher position protecting my right temple. It makes me feel like I'm losing my balance and it seems to effect the power and trajectory of the final jab. I do not raise my right hand to protect my temple when throwing jabs exclusively for the same reason. Why is this happening and what should I do?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 121 combination?

Not really sure about the biomechanics of it jahmez. But I believe there is a good reason to usually finish off with the left hook, and especially if you've just scored with your 1-2. Any of those first 2 shots if scored has likely caused the person to by instinct bring themselves back to guard and naturally expect another down the middle...so the left hook is a great way to finish and can get around the guard. Plus it just feels more natural throwing at the end of a combo.

I know what you are talking about tho. I find when throwing 1-2-1 it seems the force is being taken away by the finishing jab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use to throw the 123 combination on the heavy bags alot but my trainer would always tell me that I was too short with my straight right. He encouraged me to really focus on getting proper extension on my straight right and I find that the only way to land a left hook after doing this is by throwing it way too wide. I've got a big straight right and I find that after landing it on a hanging heavy bag I have to throw an even wider left hook just to hit it. I can help combat this problem by hitting the bag after it has swung towards me but too often the same thing happens and I end up with a sore left elbow. In sparring I often stumble across the same situation as my opponent never seems to be in range after I land a straight right. This is the reason why I'm working hard on the 121 combination.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like your feet are wrong and you are reaching. Youre losing your centre line, taking your chin with the shot. When on the Bag take your feet in with a double jab should solve the problem.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information