Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Haye plots London homecoming bout

From The BBC

Britain's new WBA champion David Haye is plotting a deal to defend his title at a major London venue in early 2010.
    The O2 Arena in Greenwich, near to where he grew up in Bermondsey, is believed to a leading contender to host a fight against American John Ruiz.
    "We have options for some big places, but negotiations have to happen," the 29-year-old Haye told BBC Sport.

The Londoner is a Millwall football fan and the club's New Den ground is also thought to be a potential option.

Haye, who could meet former WBA king Ruiz in either March or April, outpointed Russian Nikolay Valuev to become champion on Saturday despite a seven-stone weight and nine-inch height disadvantage.
    And Haye revealed a 'David v Goliath II' rematch against the 22-stone 'Beast from the East' was a possibility at some point down the line.
    "I want to fight whoever the public wants me to fight," said the 'Hayemaker', who is Britain's first heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis retired in 2003.

"If Valuev somehow gets back in a position where it's possible, then it could happen, but he'd have to beat a few people and I'd slay 'the Beast' again.

"I know everyone loved the fight and I'm sure he'll come with a better strategy next time. But so will I. So if the fight happens again, I'll be more than happy to do it."

First on Haye's agenda is Ruiz, with a fight against one of the Klitschko brothers set to happen should he win his first defence.

"Ruiz is a good fighter, very under-rated," said Haye, whose right hand is still badly swollen after he damaged it early on in the fight against Valuev.

"I don't feel I'd struggle with him in any way, though.

"He's pretty much the same size as me and I think I'd just be way too fast and knock him out."

Nevertheless, Haye is not underestimating his decorated opponent, who stepped aside to allow Haye to meet Valuev with the promise of facing the winner.

"He's not the most entertaining of former champions but he's won championships on several occasions, and you don't do that through being a bad fighter," admitted Haye.

After his planned title defence against Ruiz, Haye is targeting a heavyweight unification fight next year with WBC champion Vitali Klitschko.

"I'm looking forward to cleaning up the division," explained Haye. "I said I want to be unified champion and the Klitschkos are definitely in my sights.

This is the start of big things to come."

Haye has already seen one bout with Klitschko fall through and also pulled out of a June meeting with Klitschko's younger brother, IBF and WBO champion Wladimir, because of a back injury.

Having being greeted at Stansted Airport by more than 100 fans after returning from Germany on Sunday night, Haye admitted he has found his new sudden stardom "weird".

"This time yesterday I was in my hotel waiting for the fight but now, boom, I'm world champion. I was expecting about 10 or 12 of my close mates here tonight, but this is strange," he added.Haye, who was unable to wear his belt because it was being resized to fit him, sported a badly disfigured hand after injuring it in the victory over Valuev.

"It was like hitting bricks, but it was a small price for being heavyweight champion of the world," revealed Haye, who is set to have an X-ray on the injury on Monday afternoon.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown led the praise for Haye on his victory.
    "Congratulations to David Haye for his superb, courageous and determined performance in Germany last night to win the WBA Heavyweight crown - Britain's first heavyweight champion for six years," he said.
    Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe said: "It's great that in the run-up to London 2012 we have the first British heavyweight champion for six years, something which can only raise the profile of boxing in the UK."
    "There is no point being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."
    John Paul Sigmarrsson, 4 time Word's Strongest Man

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Haye plots London homecoming bout

Well.. he wants to starts his unification against Vitali.... the un-knockable one, sounds like his downfall will be very entertaining.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Haye's first defence is march, that is reasonable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adam Booth said a Haye-Klitsckho fight could happen in the summer, and Wembley have contacted them about holding that fight there. I don't know how likely that is to happen, I would assume the Klitshcko's would want to fight in Germany, but apparently Wlad-Haye in June was close to being staged in London. It would be great if that happened here, but i doubt it will. At least the Ruiz fight wil be in the UK, and march seems like a reasonable time for him to fight after the hand injury heals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

haye should fight @ MEN arena cos its close to me otherwise he can sod off

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post
    Adam Booth said a Haye-Klitsckho fight could happen in the summer, and Wembley have contacted them about holding that fight there. I don't know how likely that is to happen, I would assume the Klitshcko's would want to fight in Germany, but apparently Wlad-Haye in June was close to being staged in London. It would be great if that happened here, but i doubt it will. At least the Ruiz fight wil be in the UK, and march seems like a reasonable time for him to fight after the hand injury heals
    After Haye deals with Ruiz at either the O2 or the New Den, America will want to show the Klitschko fight over there, probably in Vegas. At least Wlad will get a bit of PPV loving, only because of who he's fighting mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post
    After Haye deals with Ruiz at either the O2 or the New Den, America will want to show the Klitschko fight over there, probably in Vegas. At least Wlad will get a bit of PPV loving, only because of who he's fighting mind!

Mate id love to go Vegas to watch Haye/Wlad im deffo going Vegas for a huge fight next year i was hopeing for Mayweather/Pac but id take Haye/Wlad.

Thread Information