Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was disappointed with Cotto's trainer.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I was disappointed with Cotto's trainer.

Santiago should of stopped the fight after the 9th round.

I know Cotto wanted to continue but at that stage it's not up to Cotto, It's up to the trainer, Cotto was getting beat up bad and was never gonna change the fight around, Santiago's job is to protect Cotto.

He didn't do it on saturday night.

Props to Cotto for wanting to go on though, You won't find anyone calling Cotto a quitter anymore.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I was disappointed with Cotto's trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post

I know Cotto wanted to continue but at that stage it's not up to Cotto, It's up to the trainer, Cotto was getting beat up bad and was never gonna change the fight around, Santiago's job is to protect Cotto.

Props to Cotto for wanting to go on though, You won't find anyone calling Cotto a quitter anymore.
    Honestly if Santiago would have stopped it in the 9th he would have been fired. Cotto has an issue now with knowing it all and being surrounded by yes men. This will only hurt him going forward.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. The trainer should have stopped it early.

I agree with Cotto having an issue about knowing it all.

When asked about changing his corner he said "Why"? Look at your face man. He looked like George Foreman a day after the fight. I couldn't even tell it was him at first.

I thought the Margarito loss was worse but Pac served him the worst beating ever.

He still wants to fight but he desperately needs a good trainer to work on his defense. He gets hit way too much. He needs to put the ego aside and realize that there is always room to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by belakbox View Post
    Yeah. The trainer should have stopped it early.

I agree with Cotto having an issue about knowing it all.

When asked about changing his corner he said "Why"? Look at your face man. He looked like George Foreman a day after the fight. I couldn't even tell it was him at first.

I thought the Margarito loss was worse but Pac served him the worst beating ever.

He still wants to fight but he desperately needs a good trainer to work on his defense. He gets hit way too much. He needs to put the ego aside and realize that there is always room to learn.
    well said. if i was his trainer i wont care if he fires me... i would earn a lot of respect by making sure my fighter doesnt get hurt or injured. u know when your man is totally out of the fight. remember when roach stopped the fight between juanma and gerry penalosa. that was a closer fight than cotto was and was still stopped.sure cotto might fire santiago or hate him for stopping the fight but if he looks at the replay he would probably thank him later.
    "speed is the essence of war"
    sun tzu-art of war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah man. I totally agree. You need a trainer who cares enough that being fired doesn't cloud his judgment. Most fighter's have short enough career as is. They practically let Pac tear his head off.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was no secret coming in that Santiago didn't know what he was doing. I mean aside from Roach assertion that he was green. He wasnt a fighter and he didnt train anyone else (I think) and he didn't know how to get his fighters attention.
    Its one thing to be a fan, watch some tapes and think you can spot things about your opponent. Its another entirely to be able to spot what the guy in the other corner is having his fighter look for or be able to tell when he's setting you up; To be able to work the ref and the judges; tell how much your fighter can get away with; tell what your fighter is capable of as far as following your instructions; Or like in this case, when your fighter is being too brave for his own good.
    Santiago was just going along and hoping that one big shot would bail Cotto out. Cottos' dad wanted it stopped earlier, I heard. He was supposed to be given one more round, but in the end it was Cotto calling the shots. It was also Cotto's choice to call this guy his trainer. I agree with those people that said Cotto wants yes men. A good trainer will need more than to just tweak him to take him to the next level. They'd have to break him of some old habits first (like dropping his hands before he throws and flaring his elbows instead of tucking them, bring his hands down a little in his defensive posture so they dont obstruct his peripheral vision, pick up some head movement, and not square up as much, etc.) Theres an old saying that says "Most people dont mind the idea of change as much as they hate being changed"
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

If Miguel is to continue boxing successfully and especially if he wants to rebound from this loss I suggest he hire a better more experienced trainer.

My picks:
    Buddy McGirt, taught Gatti how to box, Miguel KNOWS how to box (Buddy would get him to do it more and not take unneeded punishment) but Buddy protects his fighters and after that fight it's clear Cotto doesn't know when to say when.

Ronnie Shields would bring in better defense, he was good for Holyfield he could be good for Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post

Honestly if Santiago would have stopped it in the 9th he would have been fired. Cotto has an issue now with knowing it all and being surrounded by yes men. This will only hurt him going forward.
    Yeah i see what you mean.

Had i been Cotto's trainer, my job would of been the last thing on my mind, Cotto's health would of come first.

Whether he would of liked the decision or not doesn't matter as long as he was no longer taking punishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, letting the fight continue after the 9th is foolish on the part of Cotto's corner. Showed a lot of the inexperience that Roach has been ponting out prior to the fight.

Foolish, as there was a situation from the previous night (Z Gorres), resulting in a fighter being severely damaged from head trauma in a fight less brutal in nature than the one stated above.

As if this trauma case of Friday night can serve a lesson in handling future matters such as these beatings atop the ring, it still failed, as amature night in Cotto's camp, particularly with the head trainer, was in full display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree it should have been stopped after the 9th, you could see he wasn't going to win on points and didn't show any signs of having the power left to deliver a KO. That said he wasn't too bad in the 10th and 11th but that is what Cotto will use as an argument to justify his wanting to go on.

His trainer was a shocker, he just didn't know what instructions to give Cotto, again however although he wasn't a fighter himself that doesn't really go for too much, some great trainers were either never fighters themselves or not very good. They did however spend about every waking moment in the gym and it's in their blood.

Cotto has plenty left I believe, he just needs as stated to work on boxing more, listen to others and employ the right people in his team . he was working well off the jab but just seemed to get drawn into a brawl to show how macho he is. Sometimes a corner can't control a fighter , I mean look at Hatton, all those great new ideas he spoke of and he just wades in, Ali trains for speed and footwork and lies on the ropes ! for some it works I guess.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should have at least stopped it in the 12th, Cotto didnt even know he had to come out for another round and thought he was done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    He should have at least stopped it in the 12th, Cotto didnt even know he had to come out for another round and thought he was done.
    A small detail, but a huge danger sign for a boxer in action that went unnoticed by a novice cornerman.
    Last edited by KananKrus; 11-18-2009 at 07:33 AM.

El Kabong Guest

Felix Trinidad Sr. apparently did not appreciate Santiago's "training"....
    Felix Trinidad Sr. Not Happy With Cotto's Corner/Trainer - Boxing News

Although I don't agree with the part about Cotto needing to stay with Evangilista, sure he was a good trainer and they had a good run together but in the Margarito fight Evangilista really dropped the ball!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure who the old guy was in Cotto's corner but when he told him "we are here for you" man that was some emotional shit. Only in boxing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jahmez View Post
    I'm not sure who the old guy was in Cotto's corner but when he told him "we are here for you" man that was some emotional shit. Only in boxing

Was 0 help. He should sack them all.

Thread Information