Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HBO Commentators

Anybody notice the absence of Max Kellerman in the Pacquiao/Cotto fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO Commentators

That is because Larry Merchant was working. They split the HBO broadcasts. HBO is grooming Kellerman to take over Merchant's spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I may be wrong, if so, please anyone, do correct me. I cannot recall Max Kellerman cover any Pacquiao co-headlined fight. It has always been Larry Merchant doing interviews of Pacquiao and his opponent, most especially as of late.

Max Kellerman seem to be on those productions where other headlined boxers other than Pac are, like the Cotto-Margarito fight and the Mayweather-JMM, to name a few...

Since the job entails doing a one-on-one interview with those elite fighters where sensitivity is a must to get out the best for the coverage, I am guessing that rapport with these personalities play a major part in getting the call for these assignments.

For sure, Larry has a good working relation with the PacMan, he has covered him as far back as the Ledwaba fight, where Pac was still then in the undercard. It could be a Tyson fight, I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I knew I felt more happy than usual...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Larry Merchant loves watching Pacquiao, thus he always fills that position.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KananKrus View Post
    I may be wrong, if so, please anyone, do correct me. I cannot recall Max Kellerman cover any Pacquiao co-headlined fight. It has always been Larry Merchant doing interviews of Pacquiao and his opponent, most especially as of late.

Max Kellerman seem to be on those productions where other headlined boxers other than Pac are, like the Cotto-Margarito fight and the Mayweather-JMM, to name a few...

Since the job entails doing a one-on-one interview with those elite fighters where sensitivity is a must to get out the best for the coverage, I am guessing that rapport with these personalities play a major part in getting the call for these assignments.

For sure, Larry has a good working relation with the PacMan, he has covered him as far back as the Ledwaba fight, where Pac was still then in the undercard. It could be a Tyson fight, I'm not sure.
    Naw, he was there for many of Pac's fights giving his opinion. He was even in on this fight promoting it early on. He did the one on one preview with Pac and Cotto. I just noticed he wasn't anywhere to be seen during the fight. So I was thinking perhaps he peeved someone or has the swine flu or something.

El Kabong Guest

I found it odd that Manny Steward was in attendance because Andy Lee was fighting for the EBU title vs Affif Belghecham in Ireland. I recently found out that Joey Gamanche was in the corner for Lee. I think Joey has been helping Manny with that stable of fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

larry tends to interview the easier to talk to fighters who arent gonna give him grief alaacquiao, hatton, klitschko

Kellerman rightfully does the guys who can get pissed off easily, mayweather, calzaghe, johnson
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

larry tends to interview the easier to talk to fighters who arent gonna give him grief alaacquiao, hatton, klitschko

Kellerman rightfully does the guys who can get pissed off easily, mayweather, calzaghe, johnson
    Yes, cause Larry can get a little bit peeved himself rather too easily sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

Merchant has done Floyd a shit load of times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

Naw, he was there for many of Pac's fights giving his opinion. He was even in on this fight promoting it early on. He did the one on one preview with Pac and Cotto. I just noticed he wasn't anywhere to be seen during the fight. So I was thinking perhaps he peeved someone or has the swine flu or something.
    Right! I remember seeing Max doing the intro for the 24/7 series with Miguel nd Manny. And remembered him doing a fine job at it too.

Of course, fight night is special, and reserved for the very top shelf, and Larry Merchant must have more strings to pull on, pulling rank or something... or maybe yet simply, it's just his experience and excellence at this, serving notice that it is a no-brainer for the bigwigs at HBO to give him the nod for this kind of assignments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I found it odd that Manny Steward was in attendance because Andy Lee was fighting for the EBU title vs Affif Belghecham in Ireland. I recently found out that Joey Gamanche was in the corner for Lee. I think Joey has been helping Manny with that stable of fighters
    When I interviewed Steward he indicated pretty much the same thing. When they took their Olympic hopefuls overseas Jonathan Banks was there to work the corners. I think Lee and Banks have worked each others corners too. Steward said he believed working corners helps fighters get better when they're in the ring.
    Oops

Thread Information