Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is it possible to win a 147 title belt below the welterweight limit?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How is it possible to win a 147 title belt below the welterweight limit?

Well first of all this is not an anti-pac thread. I feel Pac would of done the same at 147. I just don't see how he could have won the 147 title at 145.. Usually when a boxer comes 1 or 2 pounds under the limit the titles are not on the line. Which leads me to my question.. What are the rules, can you fight for the 147 title at 140 ? First of all catchweights suck but to be able to win titles at heavier weights without fighting at them is B/S... This opens up all possibilities...
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How is it possible to win a 147 title belt below the welterweight limit?

Quote Originally Posted by purtyboy View Post
    Well first of all this is not an anti-pac thread. I feel Pac would of done the same at 147. I just don't see how he could have won the 147 title at 145.. Usually when a boxer comes 1 or 2 pounds under the limit the titles are not on the line. Which leads me to my question.. What are the rules, can you fight for the 147 title at 140 ? First of all catchweights suck but to be able to win titles at heavier weights without fighting at them is B/S... This opens up all possibilities...

Still wondering this myself

no way cotto would of come in at anything less than 147 if this was at welterweight limit? They said this was a 145 catchweight, both made the weight then it was described as a welterweight title fight.

Cotto got told this is a fight in the 147pound division yet you must not go any higher than 145
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How is it possible to win a 147 title belt below the welterweight limit?

Bilbo actually covered this very well before the fight.

There are negotiations between the two parties involved to set up
    the fight. Here they will negotiate purse split, ring size, venue, and
    weight requirements.

Once that is all settled then the sanctioning body gets involved.
    It is up to the sanctioning body to determine if
    A. The want to create some new belt to collect more sanctioning fees.
    B. If the title defense fulfills the requirements so they can collect more
    sanctioning fees.
    C. If they want to make available an interim version of a vacant belt
    so they can collect more sanctioning fees.

For A, The WBC decided they should get a cut of the pie by creating
    the "Diamond Belt"

For B, The WBO determined that even though it was a catchweight fight it fell within the Welterweight limit and since Cotto had fought his mandatory in Josh Clottey earlier in the year he was fulfilling all the requirements.

For C, All of the big four already have their titles populated so the couldn't make an interim version.

While I am strongly against catchweight fights (I see no point in them with as many weight classes as there are today), they were following their rule structure, which of course is in place to make more sanctioning fees.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You don't have to weigh in at the exact weight for the fight to be a title fight. Anybody under 147 can fight for that title

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a bullshit arrangment....that's how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    It was a bullshit arrangment....that's how.
    I just feel titles should not be won at catchweights, especially the ones under the limit... A champion should not be forced to fight under his limit for his belt!.. idk i don't like the rule

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could both be 108 lbs and still fight for the WW title , HW title for that matter .
    Dont forget Ray Leonard fought Donny LaLonde at a catch weight , for both the WBC LHW and WBC SM titles , so he could beat Tommy Hearns to 5 tiltes at 5 weights.
    Its bullshit , but its the way it is .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

& at what weight shall he defend this so called title? It's BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anything from over 140lbs to 147lbs is Welterweight but how the challenger can dictate to the World Champion is beyond me i know its money and stuff but if you want his 147lbs title let they Champion weigh what he wants as long as he makes 147lbs. But it don't matter anymore the fight is done and Pacquiao won.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

no way cotto would of come in at anything less than 147 if this was at welterweight limit? They said this was a 145 catchweight, both made the weight then it was described as a welterweight title fight.

Cotto got told this is a fight in the 147pound division yet you must not go any higher than 145
    What weight is 145 to you then? Under what division does it come under? Welterweight innit? As far as I know anyway. Saying that if you are challenging a for a 147 title the champ should be able to come in at the limit of 147 if they wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not called 147 belt. It's called a welterweight title. Welterweight is anywhere from 141-147. The fight was negotiated at 145, so it's a welterweight fight. If you go over 147, it's called over weight!!! Got it kid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

It's because the Money man is the smaller guy. Cotto could have said NO & Fight somebody as big as him. Or he could've challenge Pac at 140 for Pac's title. We knew he can't make 140. We knew Pac can easily make 135. Only 2 lbs below welter limit were what Pac requested. JMM negotiated for 144 lbs with Floyd. This is no issue. Cotto said it's no issue. Only Cotto's Cry baby fans & Floyd fans crying about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacdbest2 View Post
    It's not called 147 belt. It's called a welterweight title. Welterweight is anywhere from 141-147. The fight was negotiated at 145, so it's a welterweight fight. If you go over 147, it's called over weight!!! Got it kid?
    lol stfu you pac nut hugger... 147 is the maximum WELTER WEIGHT LIMIT not the LIGHT welter or SUPER lightweight.. if that is the case let's eliminate LIGHT and SUPER and just have a 10 pound divison class.... got it kid?

*edit replaced minimum typo*
    Last edited by purtyboy; 11-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacdbest2 View Post
    lol stfu you pac nut hugger... 147 is the minimum WELTER WEIGHT LIMIT not the LIGHT welter or SUPER lightweight.. if that is the case let's eliminate LIGHT and SUPER and just have a 10 pound divison class.... got it kid?
    [did you mean Maximum?]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto won that belt against Michael Jennings @ 146

Cotto - 146 Jennings - 146.5
    WBO Welterweight title

Thread Information