Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Defending the left hook + Stance question

Hello,

Everytime i spar, wether it's against a new guy fighter or someone who has boxed for longer than me, i alway's get tagged with a left hook. Somehow i flinch when the left hook comes and no matter how i hold my glove it always finds someway to hit my jaw.

What should i do to defend the hook? Ear muff with my gloves or try to lean/step an inch back?

Also i was boxing last night, and my trainer said i used to much of an upright stance. He told me that, i need to lean a bit forward is this true or should i keep my upright stance?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Defending the left hook + Stance question

Quote Originally Posted by LiteOn View Post
    Hello,

Everytime i spar, wether it's against a new guy fighter or someone who has boxed for longer than me, i alway's get tagged with a left hook. Somehow i flinch when the left hook comes and no matter how i hold my glove it always finds someway to hit my jaw.

What should i do to defend the hook? Ear muff with my gloves or try to lean/step an inch back?

Also i was boxing last night, and my trainer said i used to much of an upright stance. He told me that, i need to lean a bit forward is this true or should i keep my upright stance?
    I'll address this part first.

Do you trust your trainer? If the answer is yes, then do what he says. If the answer is no, better examine why that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i do trust him, but just wanted to have a second opinion from someone just to be sure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I try not to lean forward, since I find that it causes me to push my punches. If you're a tall fellow, you should bend at your knees instead.

I also block left hooks with my glove on my cheek, often I roll with the shot (i.e. pulling my left shoulder back) and then throw a left hook of my own. In the heat of things I'll sometimes block by sticking my right arm which is bent in almost a 45 degree angle, which looks like something that you'd see in karate.

I don't like to lean away from hooks, but I like it when my opponent does. They lean away from the first hook, but I step in and the second one catches them.

You can also duck under hooks, again try bending more at the knees than at your waist. Always keep your eyes on them.

Anyways, here's a thread that I recommend reading: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...u-get-hit.html
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i do trust him, but just wanted to have a second opinion from someone just to be sure
    The thing is, and point I will further make is, we can't see your posture at all so how can we answer it or have an opinion? He can. This is what makes this question one I don't really think you can get a decent answer for online.

You may be fighting a bit too defensively and not attacking enough. Maybe he feels if he can bring you forward a bit that will help engage you. Maybe you are leaning away too much in the process. During exchanges. Again, we don't really know.

Yea you can get some general rules of thumb, but they are often dependant on who and what and where you are as a fighter/in training. I can lower my head and do to try to get my opponent to commit so I can counter him, if he is kinda slow as I work off of speed. But if I am against someone who has equal speed, or if most people are of relative quickness, this could go assbacks in a hurry if it means it is just ending up in an open chin.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 11-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The thing is, and point I will further make is, we can't see your posture at all so how can we answer it or have an opinion? He can. This is what makes this question one I don't really think you can get a decent answer for online.

2 .You may be fighting a bit too defensively and not attacking enough. Maybe he feels if he can bring you forward a bit that will help engage you. 1. Maybe you are leaning away too much in the process. During exchanges. Again, we don't really know.

Yea you can get some general rules of thumb, but they are often dependant on who and what and where you are as a fighter/in training. I can lower my head and do to try to get my opponent to commit so I can counter him, if he is kinda slow as I work off of speed. But if I am against someone who has equal speed, or if most people are of relative quickness, this could go assbacks in a hurry if it means it is just ending up in an open chin.

Thank you for your response:

Yes, that is what i do. I try to lean back from one punch and than from the next punch untill i get to a point i can't lean back any further wich causes me to lose balance/eat a punch.

Also Chris, when you're rolling with that left hook do you twist your right foot aswell? so the right shoulder comes forward even more? Or do you just pull your right shoulder back

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can pivot, but you don't have to. You're blocking their left hook and cocking your left at the same time.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for your quick response chris.

Ill try to drill that sometime, also ducking under the left hook seems like a good one.

Thread Information